R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   anyone make aluminum mod 1 pinions? can i convert my 8ight buggy to 32 pitch? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/283359-anyone-make-aluminum-mod-1-pinions-can-i-convert-my-8ight-buggy-32-pitch.html)

2jim1 03-18-2009 09:23 PM

anyone make aluminum mod 1 pinions? can i convert my 8ight buggy to 32 pitch?

i'd like to convert to 32 pitch because then i can get aluminum pinions from castle creations

ta_man 03-19-2009 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2jim1 (Post 5569242)

i'd like to convert to 32 pitch because then i can get aluminum pinions from castle creations

You obviously don't know it yet, but you really don't want aluminum pinions on electric 1/8th scales.

I had a Centrury steel pinion wear out running against a Kyosho plastic spur. You would probably have to change your aluminum pinions every heat. (slight exageration, but only slight.)

whitrzac 03-19-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ta_man (Post 5570669)
You obviously don't know it yet, but you really don't want aluminum pinions on electric 1/8th scales.

I had a Centrury steel pinion wear out running against a Kyosho plastic spur. You would probably have to change your aluminum pinions every heat. (slight exageration, but only slight.)

most of the mod 1 pinions are aluminum, but there hardend...

kufman 03-19-2009 10:29 AM

Aluminum pinions don't work well for 1/8th buggies. They will only last a couple of runs if you are running a metal spur and not much longer with plastic spurs. Hardened steel pinions were a huge improvement when they finally came out. :nod:

2jim1 03-19-2009 11:23 AM

well i'd like to try it

i had aluminum in my e-revo brushless that has way bigger tires and it didn't have any problem

and i don't think that most 1/8 pinions are aluminum and that they are just hardened since most of the ones i have seen advertised say hardened steel

please keep the information comming though

ta_man 03-19-2009 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by whitrzac (Post 5571032)
most of the mod 1 pinions are aluminum, but there hardend...

Please point out two brands intended for RC use - showing manufacturer's description that they are aluminum. If "most" are aluminum, it shouldn't be too hard to show us two brands.

kufman 03-19-2009 06:03 PM

Why do you want to try aluminum?

Kings Kid 03-19-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2jim1 (Post 5571334)
well i'd like to try it

i had aluminum in my e-revo brushless that has way bigger tires and it didn't have any problem

and i don't think that most 1/8 pinions are aluminum and that they are just hardened since most of the ones i have seen advertised say hardened steel

please keep the information comming though

2jim,an 1/8th scale electric is alot harder on the drive system the an e-revo. No slipper and lots of torque. There's really no advantage and two distinct disadvantages I can think of:1) aluminum shavings all over inside my buggy, 2) less money in my pockets!;)

2jim1 03-19-2009 07:44 PM

thats funny. i just like having lighter parts and a lighter drive train for more efficiency and i think that aluminum ones are way cooler

i will say that the plastic spur in my 8ight-E is way cooler than the metal one that i had cause it is so much quieter and smoother sounding, although it stis closer to the motor mount so i had to grind my motor mount down some so that the pinion doesn't hit

thanks for the info

kufman 03-19-2009 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2jim1 (Post 5573127)
thats funny. i just like having lighter parts and a lighter drive train for more efficiency and i think that aluminum ones are way cooler

i will say that the plastic spur in my 8ight-E is way cooler than the metal one that i had cause it is so much quieter and smoother sounding, although it stis closer to the motor mount so i had to grind my motor mount down some so that the pinion doesn't hit

thanks for the info

Most of the drive train weight in a 1/8th buggy is in the diffs. If you can make the diffs lighter, you might have something worth while.