Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ques for Sensored motor guys??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ques for Sensored motor guys??

I currently have a sensored esc and a sensorless one. I was considering picking up a 10.5 brushless motor that was for both sensored and sensorless. My question is: Do you guys beleive that the motor would perform well with a nice throttle band when run on sensorless? Or do you think the sensorless would run much better when driven on a track for example.

These motors look neat to me and im considering trying one out.
What are good sensored/sensorless motors out there?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you run a Tekin motor it will run good in either sensored or sensorless mode. I have heard Novak motors do not do too well sensorless. Tekin's RS speed controllers are setup to run in sensored only, sensorless only or hybrid that uses sensored to get going and then sensorless once going, and if the sensor comes unplugged no big deal it runs in sensorless only.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

So a tekin is the only one to run? Are the Trinity motors any good?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

I wouldn't say the Tekin is the only one but it is a very good one. I have not saw any of the Trinity motors in action. I have also heard of issues with the Novak motors cogging on the Mamba Max systems.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

So what other companies currently make a hybrid motor?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I don't know of anyother esc and motor that would work like Tekin.
I have Tekin RS pro's in both buggy and stadium truck. My wife has a Tekin RS Pro in her stadium truck too.
Both of us had our sensor wire come off the escs on both trucks. They kept going,the rpms was different when the wire came off but, we finished our races without burning esc,motor or both out.

You can do this with Tekin and Tekin Redline motors. The Redline motors have a sensor built on the rotor. When the sensor wire happens to disconnect the sensor on the rotor will kick in and keep everything going and you will finish the race.

Tekin also has great tech support from staff and Team Drivers if you have any questions or you need help with a problem with escs and motors.

I have seen Novak and LRP esc's,motor or both burn up because the sensor wire disconnect from motor or esc.

I hope this helps you out a bit,
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What you need to be looking at is what esc you're going to run this motor on. You can run ANY 10.5 on a sensorless system, some just work better than others. You may have some cogging if you spin out or slide backwards but it won't be too bad.

The Tekin R1 and RS can drive them all.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

The SpeedPassion GT esc's also runs sensored, sensoreless motors.
In sensored mode it is using the sensor to get initial accelleration and switches to sensoreless at speed which gives a bit more speed/rpm.
nice thing is if a sensor packs up or sensor lead is damaged etc.. it still runs.
sensored also has a smoother feel to it compared to sensoreless.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

I run a losi sensered 4800 system in 2wd buggy without any trouble. Temps are good and no gogging just pure power (sometime to much!!!!).
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

I was running a Speed Passion Gran Turismo 1.1 with LRP motors and it worked great. This setup was a hybrid starting the motor in sensored mode and then switching to sensorless at speed. It worked extremely well. What speed controller do you have or are you planning on purchasing?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I own a mamba max esc and a traxxas velineon one. I am not exactly what you would call a racer. I just may want to someday, and I really like the idea of these motors. I will most likely purchase a high quality race oriented speedo in the future but these are what im workin with now.

The traxxas esc [B]has[B] a sensor port.

I am just curious as to how well the mamba with say a Tekin motor would drive and would it be a worth it?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

bump