Wiki Posts
Search

It's Official... ROAR SCT (Short Course Truck) Class

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default It's Official... ROAR SCT (Short Course Truck) Class

Here now everyone can STFU about what truck falls into what class and what motor we should run in what truck and what tire should be allowed for what class!

Last edited by ifuonlyknew; 03-17-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sweet I can live with those rules.

Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

ROAR has made rules, the death of the corr truck is here
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Did you read the rules? I don't think that they are so bad.

Although it didn't say anything about the titan 12T motor.. it said 27T, or 17.5 brushless ( I think)

Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by whitrzac
ROAR has made rules, the death of the corr truck is here
nope, just the Trash Class.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Rules dont look bad at all. I've ran a 27T in my Slash, performance wise, it was a bit better than the Titan motor...but it did cause my stock speedo to let the smoke out...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I thought it was interesting that the "Max" dimensions from ROAR were exact to the Traxxas Slash...so they are obviously including this truck in the mix.

But I see 2 classes still. Slash Spec & 2009 1:10 Short Course Truck....local tracks won't turn away racers that want to run SPEC against each other and that don't want to invest in LiPo & Brushless setups just to compete.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Only 2 things I'm not crazy about with this rules package:

1) the rule abot no custom grooving/siping on tires. I think adding cuts to these tires (like the 1:1 guys do) would open up a new dimension in tuning we haven't had before, and because it's custom it would encourage people to talk to each other in the pits and share ideas on cutting techniques and patterns. Only thing I'm not sure about is how I'd keep people from turning these into fuzzies; perhaps call for a certain diameter rod as a gage, and that the surface of every block in the tread pattern must be able to encompass the diameter of the rod.

2) the rule about body width at the front fenders and bedsides is too vague IMO. Using a visual representation by saying "tires must be covered when viewed from above" relies on everybody having the same sense of perspective and be able to take into account camber, camber gain, etc. I know on my New Era Models body that maybe half a row of blocks sticks out past the fenders at full rebound, but at full bump they tuck in perfectly because of camber gain. So at which point in the suspension's travel does the rule apply? It's also gotta be the easiest thing to measure with the body off, just grab a tape measure and go from edge to edge.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pyro18t
Did you read the rules? I don't think that they are so bad.

Although it didn't say anything about the titan 12T motor.. it said 27T, or 17.5 brushless ( I think)

Jay
That Titan 12t performs more like a quality 27t does than anything else. If you don't believe me toss in a 12t Trinity Speed Gem in your Slash and see what a good 12t can really do.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

at least they gave track owners clout on saying this is the deal with tires here at our track. and thats it. you could police stuff real quick in simply taking the stance of it doesnt look real (scale) and thus representing the spirit and intention of the class, its out. thats it

R
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I've got a lot of experiance with other brushed motors, but I wasn't sure if the extra weight of the truck was going to slow things down. I figured the 12T Titan was closer to a cheap 17-19T, than a real 12T. But I could deffenly see how a good 27T could be about as fast now that I really think about it.

Jay
Tech Elite

Well if they explicitly said "Traxxas Titan 12T", what Traxxas could do is improve on the Titan until it became signifiantly faster than a 27T or a 17.5 and the motor would still be allowable, making it the clear favorite for the class.

Not that Traxxas would, but they could.

Bottom line: You can't put manufacturer names or specific products in a rules package. Doing so opens the floodgates for manufacturers to make new versions of those products perform far better than they used to, because they only limit the name of the product. A good rules package relies solely on measurable data.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Only 2 things I'm not crazy about with this rules package:

1) the rule abot no custom grooving/siping on tires. I think adding cuts to these tires (like the 1:1 guys do) would open up a new dimension in tuning we haven't had before, and because it's custom it would encourage people to talk to each other in the pits and share ideas on cutting techniques and patterns. Only thing I'm not sure about is how I'd keep people from turning these into fuzzies; perhaps call for a certain diameter rod as a gage, and that the surface of every block in the tread pattern must be able to encompass the diameter of the rod.
Grooving and Cutting are two different definitions.

Grooving is clipping treads on a specified vehicle tire (ie. Switch or Traxxas Slash/slayer tire). This is a permitted tuning

Cutting would be taking a 1:8 Tire (ie crimefighter) and cutting the tire to fit on a Slash/SC10 wheel therefor making a Cut/Custom tire, which the rule does not permit
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
Well if they explicitly said "Traxxas Titan 12T", what Traxxas could do is improve on the Titan until it became signifiantly faster than a 27T or a 17.5 and the motor would still be allowable, making it the clear favorite for the class.

Not that Traxxas would, but they could.

Bottom line: You can't put manufacturer names or specific products in a rules package. Doing so opens the floodgates for manufacturers to make new versions of those products perform far better than they used to, because they only limit the name of the product. A good rules package relies solely on measurable data.
I never really thought about it that way...thanks for the heads up

Jay
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Grooving and Cutting are two different definitions.

Grooving is clipping treads on a specified vehicle tire (ie. Switch or Traxxas Slash/slayer tire). This is a permitted tuning

Cutting would be taking a 1:8 Tire (ie crimefighter) and cutting the tire to fit on a Slash/SC10 wheel therefor making a Cut/Custom tire, which the rule does not permit
OK, so then maybe that particular rule just needs to be defined a little clearer, because you and I formed two completely different understandings of the same wording. It's an innocent misunderstanding right now, but if you and I were both track owners that could pose a problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.