Slash spec esc w/ lipo cutoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slash spec esc w/ lipo cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Team Tekin

Actually a lot of tracks are less strict that I talk to and a few have posted here. Most at least run a more open class also and one of our local tracks runs them all at once up to 30 at a time! Now that’s a race you have to drive it to win.

I did not mean to start campaigning. We think the slash has brought a lot of new people to the track and are very happy to see it box stock or not. We obviously would like to be part of it and think in time it will work out fine as some make the move to true hobbiest.

True to the topic. You are going to allow a VC unit that adds cost and complexity and certainly at least opens the door to considering buying a speedo with a cutoff in it that was actually designed to work with a lipo battery. Some will see the logic and value in allowing this and I am simply stating it. However we all do not have to agree and each club can pick and choose what works for them. Its all good fun racing.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Actually a lot of tracks are less strict that I talk to and a few have posted here. Most at least run a more open class also and one of our local tracks runs them all at once up to 30 at a time! Now that’s a race you have to drive it to win.

I did not mean to start campaigning. We think the slash has brought a lot of new people to the track and are very happy to see it box stock or not. We obviously would like to be part of it and think in time it will work out fine as some make the move to true hobbiest.

True to the topic. You are going to allow a VC unit that adds cost and complexity and certainly at least opens the door to considering buying a speedo with a cutoff in it that was actually designed to work with a lipo battery. Some will see the logic and value in allowing this and I am simply stating it. However we all do not have to agree and each club can pick and choose what works for them. Its all good fun racing.

I agree. I just see some benefit from the box stock class. When I was younger not as wise and single, I spent way too much on TC. So for me, this is the perfect class along with USVTA for onroad. I have less invested in these 2 classes for both myself and son, then I did running one TC car years ago.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

can any1 tell me if the vxl is a 13.5 brushless??

btw desert are you racing at srs or the pit on saturday? i just picked up my slash and i cant wait to race it im already tryin to get wed off so i can race early
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How did this thread get so off track. Wasn't the point of it to try and find a lipo cutoff for the traxxas slash. It sounds like Badassrevo did and I will be trying it once I get my stuff. As far as what radio you use who cares if you have one you like for another car and you have a spare receiver go ahead and use it, that alone is not going to give you any advantage. I think the main reason people use other radios is so there are more channels available and if you think about it this actually helps the younger racers because they might be able to run a box stock frequency and not have to buy a bunch of crystals.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
can any1 tell me if the vxl is a 13.5 brushless??

btw desert are you racing at srs or the pit on saturday? i just picked up my slash and i cant wait to race it im already tryin to get wed off so i can race early

Me and my stepson are going to run SRS wednesday, and we MIGHT run SRS saturday. Been having fun with this electric stuff... BUT I sure do like the layout at the pit right now and it's close to home. It's tough to decide. You'll like the slash.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Slash racing and the LVC

Badassrevo - thanks for the tip. I have been looking for a LVC and it sounds like this will work. I too am bringing my 15yo son into the sport and really don't want a $120 lipo fried.

To the other discussion. Many valid points. From someone who has not even pulled the trigger on the throttle on their Slash yet (arriving today) the main reason for heading into the slash realm is the "stock aspect".
1) cheap to get into
2) level playing field
3) i dont need every little gadget and hop up part to feel competitive.

I totally agree with the statement that if i get beat and the other guy is almost the same except a $300 esc I am going to start digging and assume that esc is providing a touch more punch or top end and that is why i couldn't catch the guy, thus elevating the perceived cost. I personally think it is best to stay away from allowing other ESCs. I can afford whatever but the fact is i don't want to feel like i have to to compete. I think it makes total sense to allow after market for weak parts (I have already picked em all up but am going to race stock till i need to replace them), On the radio front, I see why the need to allow other radios to keep the attraction and allow those that can afford tot get away from the 27Mhz. Do you really feel a radio adds a competitive advantage? I have been away from RC racing for 15 years so a lot has changed. I had one of the first JR programmable radios, 756 or something like that, other than the cool factor i don't think i had any advantage.

We will see if my opinions change but it seems to me the class has evolved as necessary while keeping the cost as low as possible which is critical. for new folks.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Team Tekin

I think the exaggeration on speedo cost is making this look more meaningful than it is. Really we are talking about a $55 or $60 speedo compared to a $95 speedo. If you have to add a lipo cutoff unit then people replacing their speedo are really spending about the same money.

We are all for the box stock Slash class and think it has been great for the hobby. However as time goes on and more of these are available used it also makes sense to allow more choices. Brushed speedos have not gotten any faster in the last decade, just smaller and more features. So a $15 ebay speedo, a rtr replacement or a current racing speedo that could also be used in other cars are all equal choices when it comes to performance in a car like this.

Yes a hi end radio can be a significant advantage because you can dial in things like drag brake, brake strength, steering response and low end throttle curves to control wheel spin.