Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Cheap Mod motor for Slash? >

Cheap Mod motor for Slash?

Cheap Mod motor for Slash?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default Cheap Mod motor for Slash?

So I got a Slash, just so I can have an extra class to run during the club races, and I don’t want to run in the spec class. Our mod class is pretty big, and I don’t want to spend TOO much money on this thing. So can anyone recommend me a good, brushed motor that will haul ass? Suggestions for gearing, etc? I will just be running an Orion 4500mah Rocket Pack, and the stock ESC. I am not taking this class too seriously, I just want to be able to compete. Basically, I need this thing to be as fast as humanly possible, but be cheap.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
So I got a Slash, just so I can have an extra class to run during the club races, and I don’t want to run in the spec class. Our mod class is pretty big, and I don’t want to spend TOO much money on this thing. So can anyone recommend me a good, brushed motor that will haul ass? Suggestions for gearing, etc? I will just be running an Orion 4500mah Rocket Pack, and the stock ESC. I am not taking this class too seriously, I just want to be able to compete. Basically, I need this thing to be as fast as humanly possible, but be cheap.
Your limit is going to be the speed control and the fact that the Slash is relatively heavy. The XL-5 has a 15 turn motor limit for the typical 540 size motors. Unless you can find a good 15T handwound motor (not stuff like the venom or orion machine wounds) you might go just as fast with a 19T motor and it will be easier on your speed control. Try to find an ARCOR 19T handwound motor. They have adjustable timing and standup brushes that will last longer than the typical laydown brushes in a Chameleon or Komodo Dragon. [send me a PM if you can't find one somwhere else.]