Wiki Posts
Search

Help w/water logged tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help w/water logged tires?

Has anyone discovered a solution to water logged tires? I run my Slash in mud and water (my home track is primative) and the foam liners fill up with water. I'm running beadlock rims, so I can change tires easier.....is there any sort of a solid liner to replace the soft foam inserts? My theory is that with a solid liner that fills the inside of the tire, not as much (if any) water has any room to fill up the inside of the tire and they won't get so heavy and rob my battery power
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Punching a 3mm hole in the tires between the treads will allow water and dirt to be pushed out by centrifugal force.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lombax
Punching a 3mm hole in the tires between the treads will allow water and dirt to be pushed out by centrifugal force.
It will also allow the foam in the inside to rot a lot faster But it will accomplish your goal. It may be better to poke holes in the tires with needles, so you don't take to much traction away and still let the tire remove it's self from holding water.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
It will also allow the foam in the inside to rot a lot faster But it will accomplish your goal. It may be better to poke holes in the tires with needles, so you don't take to much traction away and still let the tire remove it's self from holding water.
The hole is going to make the foam rot faster? that makes no sense. The water is what is going to cause the foam to rot. Punching holes in the tire is common practice for 1/8 buggy tires, it has no effect on traction.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lombax
In all my years at the track I have never seen a truck spewing roostertails of water because of the holes people put in tires.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well lightin I think if your tires are full of water to that point I'd say you need to be a little more careful with your tires when you wash them

Yeah it might seem like punching vent holes in the tire would let dirt and water inside easier, but it just as easily gives it a way back out again. Running a hole in the rim shell gives dirt & water a place to get in but no way out. I boiled off a pair of 1/8th Buggy tires that wre only vented through the rim once because it felt like the foams had turned to stone. As soon as the glue bead of the tire started coming loose the pot of boiling water turned into a pot of boiling mud.

And if you're drilling holes large enough to affect the grip of the tread...ok that'd have to be like a 1/2" spade bit or something...

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 03-10-2009 at 08:32 AM.