Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo overcharge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Lipo overcharge?

I am just getting into 1/8 electric and had my lhs make me up a y connector for my 2 2s lipos, and when I made the connections there was a big spark. So I checked my battery voltage on my venom charger and when I tried to recharge both batteries now read over voltage? Does this mean they are ruined since I believe somwhere in the y connector the positive and negative were crossed causing the short/spark? I also tried to dexhare but got the same over voltage responce.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Adept

I meant to say I tried to de-charge the batteries as well. Should I try to run them in my truck to lower the voltage, or will it mess up my mamba max speedo?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what you are saying, your batteries can't be overcharged. They never accepted any charge. If anything, they shorted to each other and are both more discharged. That, or your charger got smoked.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Tech Adept

they were both fully charged and placed in the truck. I made the connection while trying to go drive it. My speedo was luckily turned off, so I'm pretty sure it works with my Losi 4s. I don't think the charger has anything to do wit it, besides it worked after the fact with different batteries.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosshog64
they were both fully charged and placed in the truck. I made the connection while trying to go drive it. My speedo was luckily turned off, so I'm pretty sure it works with my Losi 4s. I don't think the charger has anything to do wit it, besides it worked after the fact with different batteries.
For some reason the MMM V3 sparks when you plug the plugs together. Every one I have seen do this. Plug it in and go run your car!
I would charge the 2 (2s) packs by themself you won't be able to balance them hooked together with Y plug. Also check your charger and make sure it is on 4s not 2s.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS
For some reason the MMM V3 sparks when you plug the plugs together. Every one I have seen do this. Plug it in and go run your car!
I would charge the 2 (2s) packs by themself you won't be able to balance them hooked together with Y plug. Also check your charger and make sure it is on 4s not 2s.
I did check to make sure it was on 2s charge and charged by themselves individually. Just questioning cause when I check to make sure they are charged they say battery full normally, now they are saying over charged for some reason?

So the work is normal when connecting the batteries together?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosshog64
I did check to make sure it was on 2s charge and charged by themselves individually. Just questioning cause when I check to make sure they are charged they say battery full normally, now they are saying over charged for some reason?

So the work is normal when connecting the batteries together?
Yeah spark is normal! Mine does it everytime!
Your packs are showing over 8.40ish each?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS
Yeah spark is normal! Mine does it everytime!
Your packs are showing over 8.40ish each?
well they were .10 over, but got everything figures out at the lhs. Batteries are fine and they agreed with you that the spark is normal. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That spark is due to charging the caps in the esc when batt is connected. My MMMs all do it and my Quark125b and modded MM also do it

Some chargers will charge lipos to 8.4xv, and then tell you they are overcharged if you re-connect them. If the chargers internal voltmeter is accurate, they may be sligthtly overcharged due to the way the charge is terminated.

Next time you charge them, check them with a dvm. If they are too much over 8.4v email charger support and ask them what's happening. You may need to watch at the end of charging and pull them early.

If your charger has a max charge capacity, make sure its set at 100% not something over 100% - that could cause this to happen.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Tech Elite

Any esc that uses external caps will spark when connecting the batteries as it is charging up the caps.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I get a spark when I plug my 4s battery into my mmm speedo and it works fine.