Wiki Posts
Search

Slash tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Slash tire choices

What are a good set of the crime fighter STYLE tires and rims that would fit the traxxas slash? I need a tire that can hook up well on an indoor hard packed dirt track.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only thing close right now is 1/8th scale buggy tires. Their is no "CORR" tire with a tread design close to CrimeFighter.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

yeah i was looking at some 17mm hub adapters but i bought a cvd kit and the rear shafts are much larger than stock. So i coudn't use those adapters.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Reason being is these block tread tires are what really make these short-course trucks drive the way they do. Replace the blocks with ribs or fuzzies and now it's not much different than a traditional stadium truck.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with the missle.

These trucks drive the way they do because of the piece of crap tire's available

The Switch is a "Decent" Upgrade... Little more bite but i find their durability level is well.... There isnt one... I've ripped the beads off 2 pairs (Rears) and even bought a set of Pre-me's just for S and G's....

So i decided to do the 17mm upgrade and im gonna use SC8 rims and tires. Keep that look and feel of the short coarse truck. But hoping for a "Little" More bite thats somewhat predictable. I dont want alot of bite, just a little more.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

why not build a set of crimefighter style tires, cuttig and gluing tires is allot easier than most people think
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DiEzel
The Switch is a "Decent" Upgrade... Little more bite but i find their durability level is well.... There isnt one... I've ripped the beads off 2 pairs (Rears) and even bought a set of Pre-me's just for S and G's....
Our local rules mandate that you have to use the stock tires. But we have a few guys that are fighting this tooth and nail. So I'm gonna let 'em run their Switches just so they can come to the same realization as you describe
Old 03-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
Our local rules mandate that you have to use the stock tires. But we have a few guys that are fighting this tooth and nail. So I'm gonna let 'em run their Switches just so they can come to the same realization as you describe
Fight the "optional tire" guys.

Out of curiosity, one day at the track I tried regular racing tires on my Slash (step pins rear, fuzzies up front - they were mounted on Electric Rustler rear rims which fit nicely on the Slash front and rear).

It was like driving a regular stadium truck. If I had run those tires while everyone else ran the stock Slash tires I am sure I could have lapped the field once or twice.

The guys that want other tire choices are just going to ruin the "Spec" class for everyone else. Let them run whatever tires they want when they run with the 2WD stadium trucks.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

I mostly bash and go to the track occasionally and race. Im not gunna race with the buggy tires just practice because with my switch tires i am sliding everywhere and with the vxl on 3 cell lipo they pull of the bead. I solved that problem with putting a thin bead of tire glue under the bead (i know it defeats the bead lock). So what do you think the best tire setup would be with the slash. I am open to all suggestions.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

learn to drive the car loose and sideways like a REAL dirt track racer It runs good on the track even dusty dry ones that 2wd's and 4wd's get REAL loose on , Tires would help, what happened to putting other tires on stock rims?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

What are you talking about, real dirt track racers are not slidding and sideways they are in control and to get that control you need good tires that can hook up. I will admit that the slash racing class is slippery but thats what i am trying to eliminate with my rig.
I am not into following class rules i just wont these tires for racing with my friends. When i am ready to class race i will put on the switches.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The other thing that's cool about these block tread tires is we now have the option of grooving them. I have a set of Switches for my Slash (although they're the Slayer version) and the first time I had them out they felt good but were lacking some steering. So I broke out the Dremel with a cutoff wheel & added some parallel grooves in the front tire treads. And whaddya know, it did the trick.

And +1 to Darrell, if you ain't doors-first you ain't dirt racing
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowboard094
What are you talking about, real dirt track racers are not slidding and sideways they are in control and to get that control you need good tires that can hook up. I will admit that the slash racing class is slippery but thats what i am trying to eliminate with my rig.
I am not into following class rules i just wont these tires for racing with my friends. When i am ready to class race i will put on the switches.
now tell me my friend, what do dirt track oval racers do? They slide sideways steering the opposite direction in order to keep the line they want. You the driver needs to learn how to master that!!! It will make you a better driver, and you will also be faster. You just have to baby the throttle in order to get your line then give it the gas, like real race car drivers do. example gas gas gas gas then full throttle. This will make you a better stock car racer. Getting better tires however, will just make it easier to drive and allow you to gun the gas faster but also will cause the car to push a lot easier, which is bad. Typically Edge tires are good for the front, the slash doesn't carry a whole ton of speed, but Bowties would be a good choice for the rear as your rear end will be loose enough not to cause your car to push in the turns reducing your turning ability. Put your slash toe out to 2.5Degreese, Camber -0.5 to -1.5 anything higher is to much for the slash. same camber for the rear as well. 40wt oil in the front, stock oil in the rear. Springs and shock angles would depend on your track. I would try positive camber in the rear for the slash depending on track application.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
now tell me my friend, what do dirt track oval racers do? They slide sideways steering the opposite direction in order to keep the line they want. You the driver needs to learn how to master that!!! It will make you a better driver, and you will also be faster. You just have to baby the throttle in order to get your line then give it the gas, like real race car drivers do. example gas gas gas gas then full throttle. This will make you a better stock car racer. Getting better tires however, will just make it easier to drive and allow you to gun the gas faster but also will cause the car to push a lot easier, which is bad. Typically Edge tires are good for the front, the slash doesn't carry a whole ton of speed, but Bowties would be a good choice for the rear as your rear end will be loose enough not to cause your car to push in the turns reducing your turning ability. Put your slash toe out to 2.5Degreese, Camber -0.5 to -1.5 anything higher is to much for the slash. same camber for the rear as well. 40wt oil in the front, stock oil in the rear. Springs and shock angles would depend on your track. I would try positive camber in the rear for the slash depending on track application.

Thanks for the info but i am not talking about dirt track oval racing thats a whole different thing. It is a fact that in r/c racing if your tires hook up well and you are not sliding everywhere you will get faster lap times. And thats what i am after. I know that throttle control is an issue but i am good at that. Throttle control can only do so much with slippery tires.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowboard094
Thanks for the info but i am not talking about dirt track oval racing thats a whole different thing. It is a fact that in r/c racing if your tires hook up well and you are not sliding everywhere you will get faster lap times. And thats what i am after. I know that throttle control is an issue but i am good at that. Throttle control can only do so much with slippery tires.
ugh that was an example on how to do turns with the slash of what applies to ALL dirt tracks. You obviously do not understand my comments. You think I'm not aware that good tires and traction keep you from sliding my name is Bob !!!! There is a such thing as having to much traction, my whole point was saying you want looser wheels in the rear than the front far as grip goes, otherwise your car would push in the turns and turn horribly. My setup example was not for a dirt oval. You totally blew that point, it was to show you how you can control in loose conditions. If you know how to control the car with less grip slideing in turns, you will have faster lap times, your turning ability will be faster, thus faster lap times. You would want traction but not to much. Edge in the front and bowties in the rear is all you would need for the slow poke slash. If I were talking about ovals, every shock would have different spring and shock oil, each tire would be a different size, whole different setup than I suggested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.