Wiki Posts
Search

slash or rustler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default slash or rustler?

I am trying to decide between the slash or the rustler vxl brushless, how much does it cost to convert the slash to a brushless system? I see the rustler vxl is only 80 bucks more than the stock slash at my local hobby shop. I am wondering if the rustler is a better bang for the buck instead of upgrading the slash. Also, is the rustler suspension better than the slash, are the both pretty durable, thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a slash with the vxl setup and i love it. The rustler is a better deal for the money though. $280 for the rustler vxl.$200 for stock slash + $140 for vxl setup.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
MDB
Suspended

cassidy, is the new truck for racing or bashing?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, if it's for racing...Slash they have their own class that growing....Rustler aint good for nuttin' but bashin
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VVRC
Well, if it's for racing...Slash they have their own class that growing....Rustler aint good for nuttin' but bashin
Not very well for bashing either. It is pretty tough but the slash is way tougher. The two trucks have very similar suspension. What makes the slash so much tougher than the rustler is the oversize bumpers. I vote SLASH.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

the truck is going to br mostly for bashing, maybe some play practice at the track, but it is 1.5 hours away so i will not be going there often, if it were you, which one would you get?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
the truck is going to br mostly for bashing, maybe some play practice at the track, but it is 1.5 hours away so i will not be going there often, if it were you, which one would you get?
I've had both in the last couple of years, the slash is more fun to drive!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

it just seems like the slash slams down and bottoms out when jumping in the videos that i am watching, makes me think the suspension isnt that good,but i am new to rc and need experienced opinions....thanks!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Most probably had the stock springs and oil in them, throw 70 or 80 wt in, stiffer springs, no more slamming. But that is causing 0 damage, but maybe some rubbing. And if anything breaks, go RPM, no more problems.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
it just seems like the slash slams down and bottoms out when jumping in the videos that i am watching, makes me think the suspension isnt that good,but i am new to rc and need experienced opinions....thanks!!!!!
If the slash bottoms out on jumps then the rustler will. I has a way lower CG then the slash. All rcs will bottom out if you are jumping. Put 60 weight oil in all the shocks and that will stiffen it up. The stock shocks on the rustler and slash (same) are very soft stock. Changing the shock oil is very simple to do and makes a big difference in handling.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone know for sure if the VXL System you get in the Rustler/Stampede the same one you buy out right? I was thinking about buying a Slash kit and then a VXL Rustler or Pede and basically have a VXL Slash with a XL5 Rustler or Pede for an extra 100 bucks. Does that make sense to anyone but me??
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Makes sense, and yes they are the same, or use that $100 and get a (somewhat) decent charger and LiPo battery.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
I've had both in the last couple of years, the slash is more fun to drive!
what factors make the slash more fun to drive? Does anybody prefer the rustler vxl over the slash?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My friend has a VXL Rustler, and I have a stock slash... well I did until about 2 days ago, I threw in a different brushless setup... but that's another story.

Anyway he drives his VXL with a 3S Lipo (11.1V) and it is STUPID fast, he can't keep the wheels on the ground at anything over half throttle. He's never ran it with a 2S in it (7.4V) So he's not sure how fast it is compaired to the Slash. He drove my car and within 30sec he was like oooo I gotta get one of these.

I liked his VXL, but straight line speed isn't really my thing, besides if your just starting out... your going to crash... A LOT and the speed of the VXL is just going to double your chance of breaking something.

So I say go for the slash, there is room to make it MUCH faster and tons of aftermarket support to make it all pretty if that's your thing. Plus its a freaking tank!

J
Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Which brushles set up did you go with? How much did it cost and how difficult is it to install? I am a mechanic by trade, so I am mechanically inclined, What all is involved in the swap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.