Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi Speed T off road? >

Losi Speed T off road?

Losi Speed T off road?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi Speed T off road?

First of all the website is great!
I am back into RC after an 18 year break and pick up a Slash and really like how tough it is wow can a slash take a beating.
Now I am want a brushless 1/10 scale stadium truck and thinking of converting a Losi Speed T to off road. Any one on here convert a Speed T?
bolt on the XXX-T shock towers and new shocks?
The HPI Firestorm Flux looks great but I think the 2.4 radio on the Speed T would be great.

Your comments are appreciated.

BMXRDAD
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BMXRDAD
I am back into RC after an 18 year break and pick up a Slash and really like how tough it is wow can a slash take a beating.
Now I am want a brushless 1/10 scale stadium truck and thinking of converting a Losi Speed T to off road. Any one on here convert a Speed T?
The HPI Firestorm Flux looks great but I think the 2.4 radio on the Speed T would be great.

BMXRDAD
Sure....I'm planning on doing just that myself. Got some tires to match the local track, and pulled out the Plastic Spool rings for a diff kit from http://www.bfastrc.com/

I'm not even worried about the slightly shorter shocks or the more raked shock towers......

Of course my drivetrain is all moved around as I could not leave it alone, but that is a different story.....

Last edited by y2kgtp; 03-01-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Honestly, if you are considering a race worthy stadium truck I wouldn't try to convert a Speed-T.

There are several budget minded brushless ESC/Motor packages out there for $150 or less... you can get better spread spectrum radios for around $100 and maybe a used XXX-T of one of many versions that have come out. This will get you a worthy vehicle with a proper motor to go with it.

For what you would have to spend converting a Speed-T to "stadium" status would be more than just buying a used truck.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Honestly, if you are considering a race worthy stadium truck I wouldn't try to convert a Speed-T.

There are several budget minded brushless ESC/Motor packages out there for $150 or less... you can get better spread spectrum radios for around $100 and maybe a used XXX-T of one of many versions that have come out. This will get you a worthy vehicle with a proper motor to go with it.

For what you would have to spend converting a Speed-T to "stadium" status would be more than just buying a used truck.

Good luck!

Jerome
Above points are all good ones....however I got my truck for 143$ shipped used on eBay for everything. So it's more of a fun "project" than anything....

and you can find the Truck for 239.95$ Shipped new in the box as well....
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BMXRDAD
Me and my brother did successfully convert a speed-T and in the end its not a bad truck, but TRUST ME go and buy the xxx-t shocks, shock towers and body. (speed-T body wont fit with the new shock towers) The speed-T suspension is HORRIBLE off road, and you will break the speed-T shock towers first time out garranteed. Converting to a diff is also a must.(ditch the wheelie bar too). If your new to the hobby and on a tight budget it can be done.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc east
Me and my brother did successfully convert a speed-T and in the end its not a bad truck, but TRUST ME go and buy the xxx-t shocks, shock towers and body. (speed-T body wont fit with the new shock towers) The speed-T suspension is HORRIBLE off road, and you will break the speed-T shock towers first time out garranteed. Converting to a diff is also a must.(ditch the wheelie bar too). If your new to the hobby and on a tight budget it can be done.
Just curious on the shock tower breakage....was it a bad landing perhaps that broke it?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Just curious on the shock tower breakage....was it a bad landing perhaps that broke it?
The front seemed to break easy from a simple roll-over probably because of the rake angle. The rear wasn't as bad but believe me the handling after the conversion was like night and day.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc east
The front seemed to break easy from a simple roll-over probably because of the rake angle. The rear wasn't as bad but believe me the handling after the conversion was like night and day.
I'll keep that in mind. I just want to see how this does as is. Obviously I have screwed around way too much on mine so curious on how it will jump and corner with the motor & battery moved around. I have a entire spare truck as well, so can just put it back to how it was to start with if I don't like it.

I built it so I have something to play with as my kids battle it out with their 2 Slashes.....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

they do make a xxx-t cr kit that might be your way to go
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
they do make a xxx-t cr kit that might be your way to go

That's my next step if I can't get the Speed-T to work well
Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the input.
Wow that is a very interesting set up! how does it work for you?
I stopped today at my LHS and looked over the speed t and an HPI Firestorm Flux and a Losi XXX-T CR if I were to choose today it would be the HPI.
Now I am waiting for the associated SC10 should be here mid month then I will make my choice.

BMXRDAD
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sure the Speed T works well on off road!!
However, your better off to buy the
XXX-T CR kit, all the parts on the Speed T
other than the chassis are hard and brittle
which also causes things like doggones to
break. My friend at the track has his speed-T
and I like how it drives.

really you just need to change the shock towers and
the shocks and you basically have a XXX T.

To make a Speed T good?
-Get offroad tires
-Get new Suspension arms
-Graphite arms
-Graphite chassis
-Shocks
-Ball studs and Ball cups for the XXX T

Not exactly cost effective, but if you use the speed T and do
not use my suggestions, you will constantly be breaking parts
as the Speed T is not designed to do off road

You guys must be to lazy to build a kit Your welcome to pay me to build one
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input.
Wow that is a very interesting set up! how does it work for you?
I stopped today at my LHS and looked over the speed t and an HPI Firestorm Flux and a Losi XXX-T CR if I were to choose today it would be the HPI.
Now I am waiting for the associated SC10 should be here mid month then I will make my choice.

BMXRDAD
Not sure yet....as I just got my battery mount in today, so I can secure the battery in place. Just an idea I was tinkering with over the winter now and then.

I get a slight cogging off the line, then it's a bat out of hell after that. I am thinking of dropping in a Novak Havoc 13.5T to run in that class perhaps....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
Sure the Speed T works well on off road!!
However, your better off to buy the
XXX-T CR kit, all the parts on the Speed T
other than the chassis are hard and brittle
which also causes things like doggones to
break. My friend at the track has his speed-T
and I like how it drives.

really you just need to change the shock towers and
the shocks and you basically have a XXX T.

To make a Speed T good?
-Get offroad tires
-Get new Suspension arms
-Graphite arms
-Graphite chassis
-Shocks
-Ball studs and Ball cups for the XXX T

Not exactly cost effective, but if you use the speed T and do
not use my suggestions, you will constantly be breaking parts
as the Speed T is not designed to do off road

You guys must be to lazy to build a kit Your welcome to pay me to build one

I don't mind building at all....I got my Speed-T for $143 for Truck, Brushless ESC\Motor & 2.4Ghz DSM radio....Cheap fun project. If it does not work well, it will be a street toy and I will get a XXX-T CR or a X-60 Truck.

The chassis is not plastic either, it appears to be the EA3 Material same as the XXX-T CR....it's some sort of composite material.