Tech Rookie

Default desert truck or slash

hey guys
im in the market for a electric truck and need a lil help in choosing the truck
jus need a lil pros n cons of each truck
Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

AE sc10. only thing the slash-keteers might ostrasize you for it.lolz. hahaha. anyway i think the AE is gonna be a better truck only thing is its 179$ as a kit then it need electronics which can be achieved for another 100-150$ if you search, find good deals and dont care about haveing the "best" electronics on the market. or you can also contact associated and see if a rtr is on the way.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gweed, you are of zero help here, so get lost. Slash has tons of parts support, has an established racing class, and is fairly durable.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get the slash if you are a hard basher and weekend racer. If you are a straight up racer then get the AE sc10 like gweed said.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
MDB
Suspended

If you plan to race your truck, out of the two you chose the Slash would be the best. If your on a budget the Slash would be the best. If you want durability, the Slash would be the best.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If your local track has a Slash class or you just want to bash get the Slash. If your track has Slash racing you will thank yourself for buying one, it is perhaps the most fun class to race.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

im just giving another option. maybe they dident know about the sc10. what if they do race and wants to race mod the sc10 is probly gonna beat the pants off the slash. so you slash-keteers stop bombarding people with your scued perception of rality that the slash is the end all be all. all i told the guy is in my opinion the sc10 is gonna be better(hell isnt that the reason that you dont want it in your class), and only do it if you dont mind buying the electronics. if he doesnt want to spend a little more on imo a better truck then get the losi.. hahahaha no really if your not into spending the $ get the rustler i mean slash its an ok truck especially if you spend the extra 85$ on the upgraded chassis. now its almost a 300$ truck that might keep up with the sc10.lol.

come on guys you have to love it..)p.s. i dont mean the slash i mean the opposing outlook)lol. hahaha
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I never bashed the SC10, but just pointed out that it was out of line for this particular post.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

wait almost forgot. what about the thundertech? that should be ok. jus givin options guys.lol
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
MDB
Suspended

Options are good, if he was asking for them. He listed the two trucks, and ONLY the two trucks, so obviously he has narrowed down what he wants.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

SC10 if you race, Slash if you bash.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MDB
Options are good, if he was asking for them. He listed the two trucks, and ONLY the two trucks, so obviously he has narrowed down what he wants.
maybe he dident know about the sc10 ever think of that?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well, both the Desert Truck & Slash are RTR about 200$

Desert truck + is the DSM 2.4Ghz radio system

Slash + is the larger size, durability & the SPEC classes most tracks have for it.

SC10 is 190ish for the kit, and will need a motor, ESC & Radio system still. Hopefully AE will come out with a RTR version around the same price point.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

I'll throw in my two cents on this thread.
I just bought the Slash and had done some research between the AE SC10, Slash and the Desert Truck.

I weighed in parts availablility, reliability, design and what most people are racing.

The Slash uses new technology over the other two. Like the Planetary gear differential over the old ball type diff. Not that I can say that either have an performance advantage but the ball diff's definitely wear out. The Slash uses a similar designed tranny as that in the Revo and owning one of those, I raced weekly for two years and never had to take it out for any reason.
I pretty much so threw Losi out of the reliablility category. Everyone I know who owns one to race always have somekind of design flaw, poor quality plastics or whatever plagues that particular vehicle. For example the Losi Eight suffers from right rear hinge pins breaking and eats throttle servo's, (both supposedly corrected on the 2.0)

Then their is parts availablility, This is the biggie: unless you live in the middle of nowhere and always have to order parts, every hobbyshop will carry Traxxas parts and being the fact that the Slash is the hottest truck right now, the likelyhood is even greater. Some hobbyshops carry AE but you could easily find yourself out if you need a part right now owning an SC10.

Then there is the racing... Its called the "Slash" class, not the SC10 class or Dessert Truck class. So if you show up with an SC10 or Desert Truck wanting to race in the slash class, you may find yourself S.O.L.

The last question is how about performance? The SC10 is not out yet, so for all we know its a big bumbling turd. Didn't research the performance of the DT since I blew it off way back at reliability.

So that was how I looked at it. But its your choice. I am sure in the end there is no real dissapointment buying any three of those trucks but I just wanted to make the best choice for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
I'll throw in my two cents on this thread.
I just bought the Slash and had done some research between the AE SC10, Slash and the Desert Truck.
The Slash uses new technology over the other two. Like the Planetary gear differential over the old ball type diff. Not that I can say that either have an performance advantage but the ball diff's definitely wear out. The Slash uses a similar designed tranny as that in the Revo and owning one of those, I raced weekly for two years and never had to take it out for any reason.

I pretty much so threw Losi out of the reliablility category. Everyone I know who owns one to race always have somekind of design flaw, poor quality plastics or whatever plagues that particular vehicle. For example the Losi Eight suffers from right rear hinge pins breaking and eats throttle servo's, (both supposedly corrected on the 2.0)
Looks like someone didnt do much research! Both the DT and SC10 come with gear diffs.

Your comparing a 4wd 1/8 buggy kit to a 1/10 2wd truck rtr? So if the micro t was bad the 8ight 2.0 mucst be horrible right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.