Community
Wiki Posts
Search

desert truck or slash

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Desert truck does not really have a "class"....it's more of a xxx-t Stadium truck with a plastic cage.

It is also smaller than the Slash\SC10 which are 1\8th scale sized. I still don't get where they come up with calling these 1\10 scale....
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howtowakeakar
Gweed, you are of zero help here, so get lost. Slash has tons of parts support, has an established racing class, and is fairly durable.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
I'll throw in my two cents on this thread.
I just bought the Slash and had done some research between the AE SC10, Slash.

I weighed in parts availablility, reliability, design and what most people are racing.

The Slash uses new technology over the other two. Like the Planetary gear differential over the old ball type diff. Not that I can say that either have an performance advantage but the ball diff's definitely wear out. The Slash uses a similar designed tranny as that in the Revo and owning one of those, I raced weekly for two years and never had to take it out for any reason.

New technology?

The Slash transmission is strait out of the Stampede which was released in 1994, since when is the Stampede new technology? As for the planetary gear differential, it can be traced back to 2600 BC.

Then their is parts availablility, This is the biggie: unless you live in the middle of nowhere and always have to order parts, every hobbyshop will carry Traxxas parts and being the fact that the Slash is the hottest truck right now, the likelyhood is even greater. Some hobbyshops carry AE but you could easily find yourself out if you need a part right now owning an SC10.

Yes, Traxxas parts are very easy to come by, but I had never had an issue getting Losi or Associated parts either. Remember, the SC10 is based on the T4, so many parts and upgrades are already available.

Then there is the racing... Its called the "Slash" class, not the SC10 class. So if you show up with an SC10 wanting to race in the slash class, you may find yourself S.O.L.

It is indeed a Slash class at the moment, that will change soon! The SC10 and other SC trucks from Kyosho and Losi will be available soon. I'm sure there will always be a Stock Slash class, and there will be the SC class.

The last question is how about performance? The SC10 is not out yet, so for all we know its a big bumbling turd.

Are you serious? The Associated SC10 is based on a lengthened version of the 6 time ROAR National Championship winning Associated RC10T4!

Associated Electrics has won more IFMAR World Championships than all of its competitors put together!

Safe to say, it won't handle like a "turd".

The Slash is a great basher, and an inexpensive entry into the realm of racing. If your just looking for something to bash around the yard, play w/ on the local BMX track, or an inexpensive type of racing, the Slash is a great buy.

If your looking to get into racing above that of the STOCK SLASH type of racing, the SC10 is the better choice.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well the Stampede gear diff are still newer than ball diffs. I think ball diffs came out in 1985?

I didn't say you can't get Losi and AE parts locally. I said they are not as easy to come by at local hobbyshops.

If I take a Ferrari and bolt a Hummer H1 body too it, it will no longer perform the same.
So just because they took RC10 and stick a truck body on it, that doesn't mean it is going to perform the same. Just stating that it's performance has yet to be proven.

I would bet it will always remain a Slash class. Why? because Traxxas is fueling the event support. Now if Horizon throws in the support to start up a Desert Truck class and promote it, you will have a DT class.

Its not a miracle that the Slash is popular. Its because a company is pushing support, pushing the class and on top of that people are hungry for an RTR racer.

Do I think the AE is going to be a better performing truck than the Slash...more than likely yes. The reality of it all is it would cost the average joe getting into racing an extra $400 when you factor in motor, esc and radio.

I have all of the equiptment necessary to buy an SC10 and put it on the track just as fast as I could with a slash. but I still chose the Slash for the reasons already stated.

Like I said at the end of my post: "I am sure in the end there is no real dissapointment buying any three of those trucks but I just wanted to make the best choice for me"

Crawler conveniently left this out of his reply post while he was puffing out his chest as a way to prove his obvious superior R/C knowledge in tearing apart my opinion on this subject.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well the Stampede gear diff are still newer than ball diffs. I think ball diffs came out in 1985?

I didn't say you can't get Losi and AE parts locally. I said they are not as easy to come by at local hobbyshops.

If I take a Ferrari and bolt a Hummer H1 body too it, it will no longer perform the same.
So just because they took RC10 and stick a truck body on it, that doesn't mean it is going to perform the same. Just stating that it's performance has yet to be proven.

I would bet it will always remain a Slash class. Why? because Traxxas is fueling the event support. Now if Horizon throws in the support to start up a Desert Truck class and promote it, you will have a DT class.

Its not a miracle that the Slash is popular. Its because a company is pushing support, pushing the class and on top of that people are hungry for an RTR racer.

Do I think the AE is going to be a better performing truck than the Slash...more than likely yes. The reality of it all is it would cost the average joe getting into racing an extra $400 when you factor in motor, esc and radio.

I have all of the equiptment necessary to buy an SC10 and put it on the track just as fast as I could with a slash. but I still chose the Slash for the reasons already stated.

Like I said at the end of my post: "I am sure in the end there is no real dissapointment buying any three of those trucks but I just wanted to make the best choice for me"

Crawler conveniently left this out of his reply post while he was puffing out his chest as a way to prove his obvious superior R/C knowledge in tearing apart my opinion on this subject.
The best advice was already given before your guys started arguing. If you just want a toy, or you want to race in an existing "Slash Class", then the Slash is your best bet.

However, if you plan to race more than play, or go up against what will undoubtedly be a growing class, you'll want a Race Bred truck, not a toy. The Team Ass. or the Losi are FAR SUPERIOR to the Slash. You can argue all day long about setup, this, that and the other. Losi and Team Ass. build race cars, Traxxas builds toys, period.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Agreed.

Traxxas isn't the only one who builds "toys", lets step back to reality, they are all toys. Some just have a higher price tag then others, but they are all toys.
To the naked eye you can barely tell the difference in cars. Look at 1/10 scale 2wd buggy and truck. Subtle differences but they all use the same basic recipe.
Traxxas and Tamiya both have not gone after the racing pie in the past. Tamiya is changing by recruiting new racing talent and putting more competitive cars out their. Traxxas is doing the same, they came out with the Revo Platinum, started posting more recommended race setups on there cars.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Agreed.

Traxxas isn't the only one who builds "toys", lets step back to reality, they are all toys. Some just have a higher price tag then others, but they are all toys.
I disagree. I define a "toy" as something that can be handed to a 3 year old with little or no instruction. I can pretty much guarantee, that a 3 year old can't do anything but brake my $1000 Losi racing 8th scale.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I disagree. I define a "toy" as something that can be handed to a 3 year old with little or no instruction.
You should see some of the "toys" that come in a kid's meal these days....
Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Again, the basic planetary gear differential that the Stampede differential is based upon is centuries older than the ball differential, the first ball differential was patented in the early 20th century w/ Cecil Schumacher designing the first ball differential for use in R/C cars in 1982.

And I agreed w/ your statement.

The SC10 may not perform as well as the the T4, but what you fail to remember is that the SC10 is still based on a T4 where as the Slash is based on a Stampede.

Ask yourself, which one handles better?

I disagree, while there may always be a singular Stock Slash class as stated, the new SC class will not be shackled to the Slash and the Slash alone.

Not everyone is totally enamored w/ the concept of the STOCK SLASH class, some actually like variety and open competition.

I agree, the Slash is indeed popular (I own one and enjoy it) and RTRs are great for those who don't have the ability, time, attention span, or interest to actually build their own truck.

I'm an old school guy who actually prefers to build my own rigs, should I be not be allowed to race because I am not one of the hungry RTR masses?

Your $400.00 additional expense is an exaggeration. To get my SC10 operational w/ simular or identical equipment, the cost will be minimal.

I will of course have to spend the $179.00 for the SC10.

I already own a DX3R and several Rxs that I use on my other RC vehicles(no additional expense), $9.99 for a Titan type motor, $30.00 for a XL5 ESC, I already have several Hitec 645 servos for steering(no additional expense) and a battery, (again I have several so no additional expense). So other than the cost of the SC10 kit, I'll need to spend under $50.00 to get it on the track w/ electronics that are commonly used already.

To go further, even if I were to purchase a TQ2 and a Traxxas servo, the total would still be in the range of a $100.00.

I have all of the equipment necessary to buy an SC10 and put it on the track just as fast as I could with a slash. but I still chose the Slash for the reasons already stated.

As do I, I choose the SC10 because I simply like it better and I am tired of those Slash owners who feel they have some kind of God given special privileges in the SC class and refuse to recognize that the SC class is growing and will be changing in the near future.

And I pointed out the errors of your post to help those reading it to make an informed desicion.

You can see my response as you wish. If my "superior" knowledge offends you, I apologise. I too only want to offer information and different opinion on the subject.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

The design differences are staggering. You truely can tell the AE is definitely not a toy. A true race bred vehicle. (insert sarchasm here)
desert truck or slash-sc10_3.jpg

desert truck or slash-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck2.jpg

They are practically the same car outside of the DT having aluminum shocks and a different tranny.

If you used the same electronics in the DT that the Slash uses, it would be hard to believe that the DT would have a major competive edge. Only the upper 10% of the race competing communtity could probably tell the difference.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

I don't see a DT in either picture,I see the SC10 and the Slash?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

The design differences are staggering. You truely can tell the AE is definitely not a toy. A true race bred vehicle. (insert sarchasm here)
Attachment 424886

Attachment 424887

They are practically the same car outside of the DT having aluminum shocks and a different tranny.

If you used the same electronics in the DT that the Slash uses, it would be hard to believe that the DT would have a major competive edge. Only the upper 10% of the race competing communtity could probably tell the difference.
The main factor is the location of the chassis, and the battery. If you were to look at both vehicles from the side, the Slash's chassis & battery sit about 1.5" higher, than the drivetrain of the vehicle compared to a SC10 or Desert Truck. Their chassis (and battery location) would be down where the red line is at....

It's the high center of gravity of the Slash that puts it at a disadvantage compared to other trucks, if they were raced side by side.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
The main factor is the location of the chassis, and the battery. If you were to look at both vehicles from the side, the Slash's chassis & battery sit about 1.5" higher, than the drivetrain of the vehicle compared to a SC10 or Desert Truck. Their chassis (and battery location) would be down where the red line is at....

It's the high center of gravity of the Slash that puts it at a disadvantage compared to other trucks, if they were raced side by side.

Several months ago, I was at a race away from the home track. There weren't enough Slashes or Losi DTs to run separate classes(and of course, the AE version didn't yet exist AFAIK). So they threw us into a single class, and we even had a XXX-T in the mix. Now, the Slash driver was no "Pro", but he knew how to drive. I and the other DT driver are pretty decent, not "Pro" either, but pretty decent. All the trucks were BONE STOCK. The difference was pretty clear within the first heat. The Slash is a Toy, and if you are racing against other toys, it's fair. As soon as you put something down based on a Race Bred Chassis, it just isn't fair.

So again, all this bickering is pointless. I feel sorry for the guy that posted the question; for having to read all this. But his question was answered in the beginning. Spec class, go with Spec. All other racing, get a race car.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

I don't ever think the Slash was ever intended to be raced as it is today. It was made to be an inexpensive, fun RC truck.

Aka Waterproof electronics.....

How about a 2-3" water section the "CORR" trucks have to go threw on the track? That might make the races a bit more interesting
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
I don't ever think the Slash was ever intended to be raced as it is today. It was made to be an inexpensive, fun RC truck.

Aka Waterproof electronics.....

How about a 2-3" water section the "CORR" trucks have to go threw on the track? That might make the races a bit more interesting
Will you dry it back off for all the other RC racers? Maybe just put a kiddie pool on part of the track for that, and remove it for everyone else!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.