Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Speed Controller Advantages

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Brushless Speed Controller Advantages

I'm curious as to the performance advantages different speed controllers may offer in spec motor racing. Would a Speed Passion Gran Turismo with the timing turned up provide more 'punch' than an LRP Sphere with an agressive profile? Although I've had good luck with GTBs and Spheres, I think some of the newer names like Speed Passion may have more tuning capabilities that may be better in spec racing.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well to answer your question quite bluntly... yes they have an advantage.
In my opinion it will be possible for a less proficient driver (with the new technology esc) to keep up with a better driver using an older esc (without the electronic trickery). These days you need to be as good with the laptop as you are with driving and setup.
I was quite happy using Novak gtb's in all of my cars/trucks for years, never had one problem with any of them, hell, I even use some of them still (the originals w/o the internal lipo cut off. they are workhorses real clydesdales. but after reading about the "new breed" of speedo's I got a Tekin RS Pro, Wow, they were right, there is a big difference in the way you can get the power if you know how to do it. The main advantage in spec racing in my opinion is the timing you can get out of the speedo even if the motor timing is fixed(non adjustable).
Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would definately agree that some speed controls have an advantage over others. Personally I am running the RS pro. I ran it for the first time this weekend and overall was really impressed. The nice thing about the RS series is that it has the HotWire interface, boost, and dual mode. Dual mode is a hybrid of sensored and sensorless so you get the best of both worlds there, and the HotWire PC interface allows for lots of tweaks without messing with counting blinking lights and crap. I ran an LRP sphere for a race and liked it pretty well but it's just kind of a pain to adjust profiles compared to using a PC interface like other brands; it's also pretty big and barely fit in my chassis.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies! It looks like tweaking speed controllers may be the new thing in lieu of tweaking stock brushed motors. Have you found a timing "sweet spot" on the 13.5s?