R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Novak GTB Braking (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/278993-novak-gtb-braking.html)

desertbird 02-27-2009 09:54 AM

Novak GTB Braking

On my xxx-t CR's GTB spektrum enhanced ESC it seems that the brake is like an on off switch. When the brake is applied ever so slightly it throws the cars ass end out because of too much braking power.

I have read the manual and I see a setting that will increase the intial pulse%, and I don't think that is what I'm looking for. I want it to slowly add brake as I apply it. I tried adding positive expo on my DX3R and that did not seem to help.

This electric stuff is new to me. Can someone help me understand how to adjust braking on a GTB ESC with a 10.5 motor?

Thank You!

NovakTwo 02-27-2009 10:04 AM

You can direct your technical or application questions to [email protected].

desertbird 02-27-2009 10:59 AM

OK..... Thanks....:rolleyes:

I thought someone on this forum would have some experience with this ESC and be able to tell me how to achieve softer braking power. I'm a nitro guy getting into electric again.... I can tune my brake on my nitro stuff so that the brakes don't apply so much pressure that it makes my car uncontrolable under braking, after reading the manual don't see that I can do it with this electric stuff.:)

Gliptal 02-27-2009 11:04 AM

I run the setup on the GTB with the endpoints on the radio set to full then turn the break (endpoint on the radio) down to around 20% for 2wd.

R40Victim 02-27-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gliptal (Post 5488296)
I run the setup on the GTB with the endpoints on the radio set to full then turn the break (endpoint on the radio) down to around 20% for 2wd.

Ditto, this is much easier than trying to program the ESC. You can also work some expo into it, and make it "feel" better. ;)

desertbird 02-27-2009 11:10 AM

OK, I re-read the manual. I thought default was at the minimum brake%.

Apparently I can lower it.

As the manual states:
"The amount of braking applied with the first pulse of transmitter throttle information. Raising this setting starts the braking at a stronger/higher level."

I guess this is the setting I need to play with.

Ugghhhhhhh, so much to read my brain is spewing gray matter and not picking up things:weird:

Proceed.....

desertbird 02-27-2009 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by R40Victim (Post 5488310)
Ditto, this is much easier than trying to program the ESC. You can also work some expo into it, and make it "feel" better. ;)

Wow, 20% EPA.... I tried bumping it down to like 80% and thought I'd notice something. I'll go A LOT LOWER on EPA and give that a shot before F'ing around with the ESC programming.

Thanks guys!

R40Victim 02-27-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by desertbird (Post 5488329)
Wow, 20% EPA.... I tried bumping it down to like 80% and thought I'd notice something. I'll go A LOT LOWER on EPA and give that a shot before F'ing around with the ESC programming.

Thanks guys!

Yup, leave that crap alone, no need to frustrate yourself. I use EPA on all my cars to adjust brakes, and limit the throttle as needed. There was a silly rumor floating around that doing so would damage the ESC... :rolleyes: If that were the case, I'd have 2 dozen fried ESCs... :lol:

desertbird 02-27-2009 12:09 PM

Hey thanks for your help. One more question for ya if you don't mind. I see the default has 9% drag brake. Are you running that?

Teflon 02-27-2009 12:40 PM

:nod:

R40Victim 02-27-2009 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by desertbird (Post 5488490)
Hey thanks for your help. One more question for ya if you don't mind. I see the default has 9% drag brake. Are you running that?

I left mine at default, but if I had the opportunity, I'd change it to zero. I want to control the brakes, not the ESC. ;)

Dave H 02-27-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by desertbird (Post 5488329)

Thanks guys!

Perhaps you are already doing it this way, but if not: Suggest leaving the EPA at 100%. Then use button E, the middle thumb button, to reduce/adjust the brake as needed per track conditions & driving style. It will show up on the main screen as the bottom slider graphic BR.

C Reedy 03-03-2009 05:50 PM

So i have noticed that everyone elses cars brake a lot faster and stronger than mine so i went though and did all that you guys said to do but none of it worked... Then i finally realized that on my controller there is a brake dead band and not just a throttle dead band. So i moved that up and wow!!!! my car stops on a dime. So if anyone is having issues this might be the problem

tazeat 03-03-2009 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H (Post 5489225)
Perhaps you are already doing it this way, but if not: Suggest leaving the EPA at 100%. Then use button E, the middle thumb button, to reduce/adjust the brake as needed per track conditions & driving style. It will show up on the main screen as the bottom slider graphic BR.

This is a transmitter setting... Not everyone has that on their controller :p