Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8 Rules Debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8 Rules Debate

Ok with all the talk going on bout how there needs to be some basic rules, whats everyones thoughts on this?

Myself, I just put an E car together and found it to be a little challenging because of the unknowns. For this class to really take off and for the aftermarket to get rollin there needs to be some rules put in place so lets have it!

Let the debate begin!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

4s lipo's. Thats it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
4s lipo's. Thats it.
I dont think its that simple tho. Hardcase or soft? What sizes (this a is a must i think)? Why 4s and not 5 or 6?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

ROAR & RCPro already have a rules package in place. I'm pretty sure they are almost identical except for a few things that RCPro is allowing to be done.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Hoagie
ROAR & RCPro already have a rules package in place. I'm pretty sure they are almost identical except for a few things that RCPro is allowing to be done.
Ok does your Caster weigh 8lbs or less? If not then you're against the rules for they have an 8lb max.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

RCPro requires that the buggy weight is no less than 7lbs .05oz. I know I make that. I'm not sure if I make the 8lbs max for ROAR, but I'm sure it's close enough to shave it off
Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jube
I dont think its that simple tho. Hardcase or soft? What sizes (this a is a must i think)? Why 4s and not 5 or 6?

Hardcase of course, I have seen my friends losi eight-e with a 4s and it's ballistic if people are allowed any more then that it would be ridiculous overkill and borderline dangerous for the track marshalls.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Hardcase of course, I have seen my friends losi eight-e with a 4s and it's ballistic if people are allowed any more then that it would be ridiculous overkill and borderline dangerous for the track marshalls.
Yeah but the 5-6s guys run a lower KV motor to slow it back down.

I think hardcase is a must!

Weight min. 7lbs is good Does there need to a max weight?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

RC Pro has it pretty well in hand. I do not feel the need for hard case as I have been running 1/8th electric for over two years now and have never damaged a battery.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS
Yeah but the 5-6s guys run a lower KV motor to slow it back down.

I think hardcase is a must!

Weight min. 7lbs is good Does there need to a max weight?
The 5-6S guys who know what they are doing do. Rules have to be tailored for all skill levels. The beginner guys that are new to R/C (not just 1/8 electric) will run whatever makes their car fastest and will not understand why you would want to run a slower motor. Why run slower?

A hard case is a must. Anyone who has raced for some period of time can tell storied of dented and crash damaged NiMH cells.And the first time someone's battery breaks loose and gets jigsawed by the spur gear or other rotating component will be happy they had the extra protection of a hard case.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No need for hardcase batteries, they add no safety whatsoever I've seen batteries literally turned into tacos and not ignite.

Cell limitations are also bad, limit the class by weight only.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

I don't agree with the hardcase rule.

How many battery manufacturers make hardcase batteries?

Of the ones that are available, how many can fit two 2 cell packs in most of our battery trays?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Linkdead
No need for hardcase batteries, they add no safety whatsoever I've seen batteries literally turned into tacos and not ignite.

Cell limitations are also bad, limit the class by weight only.

You can make that statement when you have seen every possible battery that can potentially be used in a 1/8 electric car turned into taco without iginiting.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macr0w
I don't agree with the hardcase rule.

How many battery manufacturers make hardcase batteries?

Of the ones that are available, how many can fit two 2 cell packs in most of our battery trays?
There are 72 ROAR approved batteries.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
There are 72 ROAR approved batteries.
None of the hard cased batteries are "Efficiently Priced", the expense alone could kill the class before it starts. I say, have a designated battery tray that protects the cells. Then you can run ANY battery and not worry about rules or safety.

The Max Weight rule seems like a bad idea. A heavy car isn't really more dangerous, but it won't handle as well as a similar car that weighs less... That should be incentive enough on its own. How much less damage would a 7 lb 15 o.z. car do, than an 8lb 2 o.z. car? I understand the theory, but 8th scale is kinda like Formula One. Sure, there'll be some tech tards and noobs that make boo boos and even hurt people. But they can do that just as easily with the current crop of approved nitro 8th scales.

As for cell limit, 5S and 6S can run cooler than an identical car with 4S. Down here, that will become more of an issue as the weather gets warmer. I stared messing with brushless 8th scale in Late Fall. Average temps were in the 60s and 70s. I had thermalling issue already. During the summer, it gets into the 100s. My 4S, even geared very conservatively, might not cut it when it gets warm again.

If trying to limit cells is an attempt to keep them under control, I think you'll find the difference is minimal. Sure, some "Genius" can build a ballistic land missile, but he's not likely to win the race based solely on the top speed of his car. Again, I believe the setups will govern themselves when it comes to racing purposes. Besides, if there's a particularly dangerous guy racing a very fast car at your track, I'm certain the track owner/operator would ask him to shape up or ship out. No reason to limit the more "responsible" ones, and keep us from racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.