Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless E-revo or hpi Savage Flux HP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Brushless E-revo or hpi Savage Flux HP?

Hey guys, I have been a nitro guy for about 12 years now but having nothing to run in the winter here in CT is really a bummer, I want to pick up an electric for next fall and have brought it down to these 2 models.

I need some advice.

I really like the e-revo because I do plan on racing alittle, I owned a revo 2.5r and loved how the truck handled, traxxas also went and put a 2.4ghz radio on it which I rather use my own specktrum, but I guess it will take a strain off my aging M8.

the savage on the other hand, has the tank quality associated with it so when I bash it I can rely on it, but I never knew how good they are for racing, also the radio system seems a little less appealing than the e-revo.

I plan on running a single lipo battery 2s or 3s but ill buy 2 for an extra, will they fit in both trucks? Im worried the e-revo is too small for the use of a lipo in it.

Right now I am really siding with the E-revo I love the overall look of the truck better than the savages.

what do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

The E-Revo is based on a brushed truck with a brushless motor tacked on top. Plastic chassis, restrictive battery boxes and plastic CVD's?

The Savage flux is built around the motor and esc and is based on one of the strongest trucks out there.

Plus with a few tweaks it can be given your "Truggy" look

No contest.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

see you own one its different, you will always side with it, no offense but if you had gone E-revo you would have said the opposite.

Im still liking the fact that the e-revo has a sleeker look out of the box in my opinion, and I know the truck having owned one in the past.

I also have always looked at the Savage as being the truck you buy to bash, not the one you buy to race.

my purchase is still a year away, now that winter is almost over I will be running nitro no sense in dumping $700 now..
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (67%+)

I ran a brushless revo for 6 months and loved it, def will get the RTR from traxxas once they hit the market a bit more. I too like to race and had very little durability issues once I switched over to rpm a-arms.

My vote is for the revo.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

There is no doubt that the savage is a super strong basher, durable and of high quality, though I have never seen a savage competitive at racing.

The monster truck classes that I have see race, the majority of the trucks have been revos with a revo usually winning and the others trying to keep up.

Sure it could have been setup or driver, either way my opinion is based on the majority of the entries that I have seen at races.

Revo is more for racing, though it a good basher.
Savage is almost bullet proof, but is more for fun than track competition.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

They are powered by the same system. Just take your pick.

If you are going to race get the Revo
If you are going to play get the Savage
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

what if one wants to do a little of both?

I owned a revo 2.5R and never broke anything on it with rpm a-arms
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would get the Revo, I was never beat by a Savage. The revo is a great truck
Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I can't wait for the day that I am running one or both of these.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have driven the Flux and and E-Revo with a brushless motor. Both platforms were run basically in stock forms with no real setup to suspension. The Revo did handle better and in stock form could turn faster, etc. The Savage however felt funnier to drive because of the bash ability of the Savage. Really it kinda depends on what you want to start with. The Savage is the better basher but doesn't do as well at the track. BUT can be made into a great racer. Well the Revo does better at the track but doesn't seem a bashable as the Savage. But can be made in a great basher.

If I where to chose I feel like I would go with the Flux over the Revo. I just in general had better time driving it and with the wheelies and everything its nice to have the toughness of the Savage.