Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless Conversion easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Brushless Conversion easy?

I have been searching for a 1/8 buggy for a while now, trying to lean what i could on them. Finally started to decide on models like OFNA hyper 7 or 8, Kyosho inferno mp6 7.5 or 777 or the losi 8ight.

I also always wanted maybe a 1/8 electric, but those models on top only came in nitro i think.

Just today i found out that Brushless conversions are available, seems like for every model i mentioned above. But im a bit skeptical about it. So should i get just a roller model and then buy a brushless kit? Or get a RTR model and sell off the parts i wont need and then buy a brushless kit. wich might be a cheaper route.

i dont think they sell brushless kits with batteries/remotes/motors, so my estimate is this.

rolling kit $300 (ebay used rolling $150)
motor $100
controller/receiver $100
speed controller $100
servo $50
5k-6k battery $150

Kit route $800 (ebay $650)

RTR new kit $500
motor $100
controller/receiver $included
speed controller $100
servo $included
5k-6k battery $150
sell motor/pipe -$150
sell one servo -$30
sell tank -$10
sell battery box -$10

RTR route $650 all new compared to $650 used being identical

im just estimating the whole thing, since its been like one day looking into it, but id appreciate if someone can help me out a bit, or let me know if i can go a cheaper route? what else im missing, or anything else.

My goal is to basically have a good top of the line 1/8 scale buggy, but not worry about tunning, gas, plugs, and avoiding being to loud, while being able to just run about 30 minutes on one charge and being as fast as if it was on nitro... so 50-60mph range, i have seen brushless converted 1/8 buggies hit 80-90 on youtube. (im not sure what motor/gears id need to use to get the most out of the car, still learning) its beein some 5 years since i have owner an E-HPI.

please dont bash im a noobie
Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes but for the exception of a few kits, if you buy rtr, you get a cheaper radio, sometimes cheaper ESC and motor, where as used plus your own stuff you get to pick what goes in and you can easily make it better.

for example the brushless E-Revo, $669 RTR new, but the steering servos need to go, I have owned a revo in the past and the dual steering servos were annoying, always fighting each other no matter how I set them, killed the battery quickly, so theres another $100 for a good steering servo, but you are getting a 2.4ghz radio system which even though it lacks the adjustments of a $300 transmitter, it does the job quite well.

other kits you might just get a regular FM radio or even AM (though I think no one does that anymore on a brushless kit), which you would need to replace.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a Caster Racing Fusion 1/8 electric buggy and be done with it. No conversion hassles. Can get it in a Race roller prebuilt, full blown race KIT or RTR.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is this the same caster team that was barely keeping it together a few months ago and people were complaing about?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
is this the same caster team that was barely keeping it together a few months ago and people were complaing about?
Barely keeping it together?? Not that I know of. Everything including this Fusion now are as solid as anything else out there.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Caster is dialed! I ran a converted 8 for two years and I am faster at the track with my Fusion the first time out.

Here is a pic of mine

Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Check out www.casterracingusa.com
There are three models to choose from
sport roller
Pro KIT
RTR

Also check out www.holeshothobbies.com
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the links... question, FM/AM radios are old school now? nobody uses them anymore?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes AM and FM are bascially almost out. The newest thing is 2.4GHz. Both Spektrum and Futaba make awesome spektrum radios. I am running a Spektrum DX3R and love it. A friend is running a Futaba 3PM and loves his. You really can't make the wrong choice of either Spektrum or Futaba and even Airtronics. There are going to be some people that say they will never use a Spektrum or Futaba or Airtronics, but the long and short is if you stick with these three main brands you can't make the wrong choice.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

im thinking to go

Kyosho Inferno
Assossiated RC8
OFNA hyper
Losi 8eght

im thinking to go with one of these on top, which brand is the most durable, and great for nitro/brushless swap?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

The losi and a conversion kit from www.rcproductdesigns.com it is a complete bolt on kit, no holes to drill and factory appearance.

Last edited by badassrevo; 02-27-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Don't forget the RC8E too. So far I have done a Kyosho 1/8 conversion with a Novak kit, and a SC8 using the associated kit. The Novak kit was'nt hard, but required alot of hand fitting parts and drilling holes. The Associated kit dropped right in, probably took me 30 min to take the guts out and stick the kit on.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickT916

My goal is to basically have a good top of the line 1/8 scale buggy, but not worry about tunning, gas, plugs, and avoiding being to loud, while being able to just run about 30 minutes on one charge and being as fast as if it was on nitro... so 50-60mph range, i have seen brushless converted 1/8 buggies hit 80-90 on youtube. (im not sure what motor/gears id need to use to get the most out of the car, still learning) its beein some 5 years since i have owner an E-HPI.

please dont bash im a noobie
Well, we were all noobs once! I seriously doubt you will ever get 30-minutes on one charge regardless of your setup. Even 20-minutes takes research and a good amount of driving skill. Most guys gear their 1/8th brushless buggies at 45mph. There is no doubt that a brushless buggy can out perform any nitro if done properly. Good luck with your choices and refer to the 1/8th conversion thread if you have questions. Cheers!