R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Slash Hinge pin drilling?

I have read about this mod by many people, but have yet to get any real info except it helps the suspension to move more freely. Is there anyone who can give some more in depth info on this, as which pins to do it to whether it's all or some, and what is the size of the bits you are using to get the process done. Pictures would also be a big help as well for the people who are new to this like myself. Thank you in advance for the helpful information.
JDMThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

I've heard of people doing this.

I got a used slash and the suspension was not moving freely. I have a 1/8" reamer I use on other cars but the reamer didn't do anything. It turned out the hinge pins were bent. Not much, but enough to bind the suspension. Replacing with new hinge pins freed up everything. I've run Traxxas trucks for years and never had suspension binding that couldn't be traced directly to a bent hinge pin.

If the pin is bent, you would have to drill out an excessive amount to make the suspension free. Try new hinge pins first and see if that makes a difference. They don't have to be bent much to bind the suspension since the use of screw pins means the pin can only pivot in the bulkhead or axle carrier, not the A-arm as in cars that use straight, plain hinge pins.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well I don't need to do my hinge pins, because they aren't bent, because my truck is 4 days old. I was under the impression people were doing this to allow the suspension to move more freely and respond faster. If it's because people are too lazy to replace the pins, then I guess there is no reason for me to do this.
JDMThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't heard of it specifically for the slash. But there are reamers made just for doing that. Hudy has them in 3, 3.5 and 4 mill.
huskerdually is offline   Reply With Quote