Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New track, need suggestions... >

New track, need suggestions...

New track, need suggestions...

Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation New track, need suggestions...

Hi all,

I'm an RCer for about 16 years or so, and finally am going to make that big step. I am building an rc track. Not a backyard track, but indoor and I want the best to offer anywhere.

What I need to know is what you like best about your local track, and what you also like least.

This way i can include what most like (within financial reason) and I can stay away from those things that most dislike.

Thanks for the input. peace, not pieces!

Chameleon

PS: I will try to reply to any who post. I have many ideas which I will detail along the way for feedback.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I like Ifmar starts, I hate short breaks between heats.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mattnin
I like Ifmar starts, I hate short breaks between heats.
Ifmar... Timed seperation as opposed to "shotgun"?

As for the short breaks, we are planning no more than 3 to 3.5 min between heats. Good enough for last min batt swaps or something, not enough to change shock springs.. LOL
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

what kinda track.. cars or trucks?

My biggest thing is making jumps too long or short. we just built a outdoor track and made first ramp/jump and jumped a 19t truck and set a landing jump there where it landed and jumped a modified truck and then set up another ram/jump there. so it's a triple in all.. So it kinda is smooth on all speeds..

at least 1 decent straight
Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bigbadyoda
what kinda track.. cars or trucks?

My biggest thing is making jumps too long or short. we just built a outdoor track and made first ramp/jump and jumped a 19t truck and set a landing jump there where it landed and jumped a modified truck and then set up another ram/jump there. so it's a triple in all.. So it kinda is smooth on all speeds..

at least 1 decent straight
This will be in electric/ nitro offroad. big enough to handle 1/8th scale, tough enough for 1/10th scale. You can expect to see double double for stock, triple single for mod, possibly quad for 1/8th. We will have alot of room as the track surface will be appx 200 long, and 75 wide. and we're not afraid to try different things, IE: diagonal straights and over and unders (criss-sross)
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Suspended

definately NOT nitro indoors
Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Initiate

I guess I've misspoken, What I'd like to know is what you like best about your local track, IE: pits are roomy, lots of space on driver stand, etc. What amenities can i provide for you at the track? What programs do they use that make your time there more fun?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RobbieT
definately NOT nitro indoors
This is well covered as we are spending appx $3500 on ventalation.. good ventalation. and the track WILL be well maintained. Plans are that after closing, all potholes will be fixed, and the track watered in the evening, morning, and as needed with sprinklers (another $2500).

Don't be fooled! This will be no small venture! there are a group of us that will be opening this track and we all have experience!

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

where will this be located at lol....

Ya, big pit stands 4' per person is always nice + being nice near a heater/ac unit for winter/summer..

pit stand on a straight near the pits

High as possible drivers stand

good parking space outside if you plan nto have a lot of people..
Old 02-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

$3500 doesn't seem enough for ventilation of nitro fumes...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

+1 on the drivers stand high as possible. that was the only dislike of my local track (it's been raised but not finished do to winter). it was about 4' high and a little difficult to see ur truck 100' away on the back corner.

drivers advise when u build, a veteran driver will make it look to easy for a novice and make him over confident witch leeds to broken parts. when u lay out the jumps, have a few people from different skill levels with their trucks to help set the gaps
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nix the nitro. I have never heard of a nitro track that had adequate ventilation. Add to that, heating/cooling a place with a powerful pump drawing all of that heated/cooled air out of the building and you now have no climate control.

Careful not to go too high with the driver's stand. It should be low enough that a driver can self-marshall without too much trouble. If it's too hard to get down and back up people will lose inteest in practicing. Sound's trivial, I know.

Don't give in to racer's requests for a crazy, supercross, huge airtime layout. They will ask for it but it's up to you to tell them what they want, even if they don't know themselves. Go too crazy with the track and it becomes hard to actually race on it and everybody loses interest and can't tell you why. Plus, it frustrates and drives away newer/less skilled racers who are the most important to attract and retain.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bigbadyoda
where will this be located at lol....

Ya, big pit stands 4' per person is always nice + being nice near a heater/ac unit for winter/summer..

pit stand on a straight near the pits

High as possible drivers stand

good parking space outside if you plan nto have a lot of people..
We have all these planned for except AC (way too costly), but we do have very good ventalation and cooling in the plans for the building (including insulation)

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
$3500 doesn't seem enough for ventilation of nitro fumes...
Most of the ventalation will be duct work. Planning on 2 x 5' fans drawing air out of the facility, and cool air drawn into the facility (my secret; not swamp coolers). The air coming into the facility will be MUCH cooler than outdoor without the need for AC. It's just a matter of planning, and since we are building from the ground up, this isn't an issue.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by offtraxx
+1 on the drivers stand high as possible. that was the only dislike of my local track (it's been raised but not finished do to winter). it was about 4' high and a little difficult to see ur truck 100' away on the back corner.

drivers advise when u build, a veteran driver will make it look to easy for a novice and make him over confident witch leeds to broken parts. when u lay out the jumps, have a few people from different skill levels with their trucks to help set the gaps
Thanks for the tip! And the post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.