Wiki Posts
Search

greasing things

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default greasing things

Its been over 16years since I've run electric. Please refresh my memory on what to lube on the tranny.

Tranny gears? Will standard lithium grease hold up to racing?

Diff? I have diff grease, do I just lube the balls?

Sipper? No lube here correct?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
Its been over 16years since I've run electric. Please refresh my memory on what to lube on the tranny.

Most electric cars these day do not call for grease on the gears. The exception would be the planetary gears on shaft 4WD cars. Typically they just recommend a clear grease like AW stealth lube.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird

Depends on the car for the lube on the gears themselves. If it has metal gears, they need lube. Most manufacturers don't recommend lubing plastic gears. Each company is a little bit different. If you do use lube on plastic gears you have to be careful that the lube doesn't degrade the plastic.

No lube on the slipper pads.

Diff lube on just the diff balls is usually a good place to start. Extra lube just attracts dirt.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks! So if I use motor spray to clean the tranny gears, what should I recondition them with, or is there something else I should use to clean the tranny?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

I used Traxxas Silicon Grease (1647) as a general all around lube. Silicon is safe on platic. So I use it in the gearbox. Basically wherever there's gears with a few exceptions. For diffs I'll use a silicon-based lube forumlated specifically for the type of diff. For ball diffs I use Tamiya Ball Diff Grease. For gear diffs I'll use associated gear diff lube since it is available in different weight for tuning. Generally I tend to stick with items that are easy to get hold of when I run out. For Spur/pinion gears are typically run dry. Ususally it's a plastic spur plastic pinion or a plastic spur metal pinion. I do have one truck that runs a metal spur and metal pinion (enclosed). I use the traxxas lube on that Even with the lube though those gears wear on each other pretty good There's always a coating of metal dust on the inside of the cover. The grease actually seems to help keep the dust stuck to the cover isntead of just flying around loose insde there.