Wiki Posts
Search

Help with diff gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Help with diff gear

I'm trying to find a metal diff gear for the XXX-T or Speed-T? Does anyone know if they make one yet? I tried search but nothing came up so far. The original part number is LOSA-3036 or LOSB-2945. And for reference I'm running a Speed-T with a 4s Lipo(Why it is killing diff gears) So thanks for any help.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

a metal diff gear isnt necessary. you must have something wrong, are you hitting reverse and then forward trying to throw wheelies? maybe your slipper is too tight.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
a metal diff gear isnt necessary. you must have something wrong, are you hitting reverse and then forward trying to throw wheelies? maybe your slipper is too tight.
Normally I would agree with you. But if I loosen the slipper any, it melts the spur gear. If I tighten the slipper it strips the diff gear and/or idler gear. Which I guess I should just leave the slipper loose cause the spur is quicker and easier to replace. And no, I don't do the reverse/throttle punch, one because reverse is disabled, and also that would just be asking for trouble. And it can wheelie from a stand still with barely any throttle, but the diff gear got stripped when I was soft on the throttle and it was mid-run on a smooth flat surface.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you running the "locker diff"? That could be part of the problem...

If you do end up finding a metal diff gear, you will then start stripping the middle idler gear... if you go all metal gears you will strip spur gears...

I think maybe the 4s lipo is a bit much... lol.. especially running on the street... way to much traction..

Sounds like fun.. but also expensive.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The 4S is the issue. He is running a LOT of power.

Robinson is the only one I know that made an alum diff gear, those may have only been for the gas truck.

You should be able to get the diff on the tight side and the slipper so it does not give a lot but will save the diff. Just make sure the slipper gives before the diff does.

To do this run this check.

Tires on the car gear cover off:

Hold the right tire and the spur gear in your right hand and then turn the left tire while looking at the nut on the top shaft. When the left tire is rotated you should be able to see the top shaft nut rotate. If it does the slipper is giving before the diff. If the nut does not move the diff gave before the slipper and you need to tighten the diff or loosen the slipper.

The stock parts should take a good beating if set properly but a 4S is pretty insane.