R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Default HPI Cyber 10B, Tamiya DB01, or Kyosho ZX-5 SP...please help!

Hey guys,

I currently live in Japan and have a Tamiya DF03 MS I won in a raffle. Too make a long story short, I've spent more time and $$$ than I care to remember on this car. I'm looking to buy a different 4WD EP buggy I can race with, but one that's still durable enough to take some abuse.

The track we race on is really a 1/8 buggy course, and it's kinda rough for 1/10 scale cars.

I'm sure every car has its weakness, but the for the money I have invested I could have already bought like 2 higher spec cars from the start.

I really wanted something shaft driven, and it has to accept stick packs (since I already have a bunch to include newer Lipos). Parts support is a factor also, since no one really stocks 1/10 EP Buggy parts, except for the Tamiya DB01 (belt drive).

I figure I have 3 options:

1) Wait for the HPI Cyber 10B to be realeased and get that. Problem is, parts support in Japan may not be that great since it'll be brand new and no one really stocks HPI stuff here to begin with. It's all special order and it'll take a few weeks for parts to arrive. Not even sure how good parts support will be in the US since it'll be very new. I think it may only need a slipper clutch, universals, and aluminum suspension mounts to be pretty durable. I have no idea on cost though.

2) Tamiya DB01. I know it's belt drive and I really wanted shaft drive, but I can get parts for this thing all day long here, as they are stocked on the shelf, etc. However, the cost of this kit plus the slipper, aluminum sus blocks, TRF dampers, Ti screw kit, 501X diff halves brings the total cost to insane if you think about it. But the wheel fitment is the same as the Losi/B4 so it opens up many more choices (for mail order at least).

3) Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 SP. For like $310, this seems to have everything. Shaft drive, plastic chassis (which is what I want), Aluminum sus blocks and awesome shocks, plus it already has a slipper and choice of front ball diff, spool, or one-way. no need to buy anything other than a screw kit. My only issue is that they don't make the SP any longer. My LHS here in Japan checked and it's been discontinued in favor of the new FS kit. I can still find them in the US for about $310, but will parts support be obsolete as well? Not sure if the normal wear items are compatable with the regular version, or the new FS version. Also, it uses weird wheels I believe. Some special Kyosho hex instead of the standard Losi/B4 fitment. Will I have a problem finding wheels, or can it be converted to a more standard fitment? Parts support for Kyosho where I live is a little better than HPI, but not by much. Are there good places in the US for Kyosho SP parts?

So that's my dilemma. Out of those 3 options, which would you think is the way to go for me? I could really use your insight here fellas.

I'll all ears.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

The Lazer SP is really in a league above the others, not that they are bad, it's that the Lazer is a race ready car out of the box and the others are more budget cars which are cheaper at time of purchase but always become more expensive with upgrades. If you have access to good mail order vendors then parts availability isn't that big an issue. I think the Lazer is the way to go. Use an under tray if you're racing outdoors.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

The cyber 10b somes without a slipper, what happens if you race it like that on 5.5 brushless ?

Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Go Lazer. It's ready to race out of the box. Even if the kit is discontinued, they should still have parts.
speedtechrc.com is a good US shop for parts and support.
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote