Wiki Posts
Search

Differential question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Differential question

I have 2 cars now a B4 and T4 that both have the same problem if its even a problem. But i see other peoples cars and when they spin 1 wheel forward the other wheel moves smoothly backwards but on both my B4 and T4 if i spin 1 wheel forward sometimes the other wheel will spin forward or randomly "catch" and start spinning backwards like it should. Is this even a problem and how do you fix it ?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

#1 if you're running brushless, you won't have as much motor resistance to insure the diff will spin.

#2 That said, take your diffs apart, clean them sterile, flip your diff rings (or sand them with really fine sandpaper, like 600+ grit) and re-assemble with fresh lubes.

That should fix the problem.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes I am running brushless and ive taken them apart and cleaned them and relubed and reassembled it still does it.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Part of it is going to depend on how tight your diff is.. if you've got it relatively wrenched down its going to want to spin the motor before it actuates the diff itself. If you hold the spur, is it the same way?

Does it feel 'crunchy' at all? Its possible you've flat spotted the balls in the diff, which will cause what you're seeing - the flat spot basically causes a bind.

I've been using the BFast diff rebuild kits in my Losi for a while now and I've been quite happy with their performance (much smoother) so you may want to give them a shot as well. Just make sure you break it in properly.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Could be to tight. Hold the spur gear and test it compared to the local pro. I can very carefully turn mine against the motor resistance with a brushless but if I turn it to abrupt it will turn the rotor. If your diff balls are out of round it can cause a problem or if the rings are worn. If you have to clean and rebuild I like to flip the rings and start the process just like a new diff built as well. You will get a couple more weeks or better out of your diff.

That all said I run mod and generally will run my diff a bit looser than the manual says not much, I back it off maybe a 1/16th of a turn more and adjust my slipper accordingly. I hold both wheels and floor it when the front wheels are about a 1/2'' of the ground I'm set. Of course this method can very.

Good luck on the diff its one of the most important tuning components on the truck.