R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   HELP please! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/273623-help-please.html)

armymedic 02-06-2009 08:16 PM

HELP please!

Hi all, Im new to this site and totally new to electric. I used to run nitro and am now loving the electrics! I have a XXX-T, I just bought a komodo dragon 19T Pro. My questions are as follows

1.) How do I break my new motor in? It says to make sure the shunt wire is not crumbled up or jammed against the motor can or endbell. How do I do that?

2.) It says to use trinity motor ball bearing oil on each bearing. How do I do that? LOL!

3.) Does anyone know where I can find out more information on maintenance for this motor? I heard you have to cut the Com@#$$ thing after every 10 runs? LOL, you know what Im gonna ask, how the heck do you do that?

I tried to get my questions answered on another RC forum, but all I got was one answer saying to call trinity. LOL THANKS ALL!!!!!

Klen420 02-06-2009 08:27 PM

If you dont want to worry about ANY of that just get a brushless setup. Your LHS can help you out with cutting the com and can show you how to lube up the bearings. Replace your brushes often and your good.

lodeke10 02-07-2009 09:36 AM

there's no real need to break your motor in.

Dave H 02-07-2009 11:07 AM

1) New brushes break in fairly quickly, many just use a practice run. Just make sure the wires going to the brushes are free, don’t touch the can or inhibit brush movement.

2) An occasional drop of oil in each bearing at each end of the shaft.

3) Yep, regular maintenance includes new brushes and a recut commutator. Takes a comm lathe, ask around at your shop or track, usually can get some one to do it for a few bucks, best to have someone show you how to do it. With brushless there are many used lathes available cheap.

JeromeK99 02-07-2009 04:37 PM

New brushes should be ok to run.. but check them regularly to make sure they aren't chipping...

I wouldn't use oil at all on the bearings.. there is not shield under them and you may get oil on the comm which would ruin the motor. Just be sure to dust them off. Oil will eat the grease in the bearings and attract dirt. You will get longer life by not using oil. Also never spray the can out with cleaner.. just dust it off to protect the bearings.

You will probably need the comm cut every 6-8 runs to keep it like new. You can probably get a comm lathe pretty cheap these days off the selling boards here or on ebay. Everybody is going brushless.. which is sooo much easier to deal with.

Brush can still be very competitive.. just takes work.

Jerome :tire::tire:

JR007 02-07-2009 06:36 PM

I use electrical contact spray to clean out the motor. Then when it's reassembled, I put a drop of oil on each bearing from the outside. 1 drop will not get right through and onto the comm, just into the bearing.

To see when the comm needs a cut, take out one of the brushes and look down the hole. If the comm loks "dirty", or grooved, it needs a cut. If it jsut has a few scratches it's all good.

COmm cutting is an art. I got a second hand comm lathe a few months ago and have only cut about 12 times, but have never had a problem. Look online for "Big Jim's RC Black Book". THere are a few copies in forums. EVERYTHING you need to know about motor maintenance including cutting comms on there.

With the brush shunt, just make sure that if you give it a slight "tug", the brush move back in the brush hood, then returns under the force of the brush spring. If it snags and doesn't return it's usually that there is crap in the brush hood, or the shunt is jammed somewhere.