R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Send a message via MSN to deanomgwhiteguy
Default lasting ni-mah batteries

Hey all

I wud like to get a good offroad buggy but i cant really afford buying a good saddle pack lipo. so i figured if i just get a really good nimah pack of cells and just solder them into a saddle pack it would be cheaper. so if anyone has done this or has any ideas please post em here

thankz, Dean
Dean Mellor
Xray T2'007/KO/ORION
deanomgwhiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

If you plan on racing, using NiMh cells like this (race, charge, race, charge, race, charge, race, etc...) during the race day will KILL the cells! They will not have time to cool after each run (takes a long time to cool properly), and such repeated charging will shorten their life considerably... You will need at least two such packs to allow one to cool while the other is in use...

Given this need for TWO NiMh packs, the cost of ONE LiPo starts to look a lot more reasonable... (A LiPo pack will take this kind of use in stride without problems if it is a decent quality pack.)

Just my 2 cents...
"If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record."
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Tech Master

Or buy mulitple 2nd hand NiMh packs. Cheap as chips these days, and most are good for a while unless you are a very good racer, then they may be left wanting.
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to MMT4 Send a message via Yahoo to MMT4

You could use second hand packs from racers who balanced/ discharged them properly. They last a long time for me and are pretty stable because of the previous care. (Racers often sell/give their used packs to the lhs.)

Or, you could snag the occasional deal. Now that many people are entering the world of lipo, your lhs may have new matched packs collecting dust. Look around and try to haggle with them since they're slightly out-dated and the lhs probably will have trouble selling them.

For instance, yesterday while I was at my lhs, I was looking around. I saw two matched 7 cell gp 3300 packs, assembled in sxs form. Price tag: 140 for both, 70 for one. (Meant for the emaxx, or any truck that took two batteries.) I've seen that pack for atleast 6 visits, so I asked them if they would sell for cheaper. They were the last nimh packs of good quality they had (rest were venoms ), all else was lipo. 100 for both, even, if I paid in cash.

So just try to look around. If all else fails, spc makes great ener-g packs, matched. (4600 mah) But they're self discharging rate is horrid. Really high maintenance.

Good luck!
MMT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can do real well with the enerG 4600 cells from www.promatchracing.com I have various 6- and 4-cell packs from them - both unmatched and matched. All run well. Fast service too. At $5.95 a cell (loose) they're a good answer to what you're doing.
jmcvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Promatch will build them also for a small fee, well worth it since overheating the cells will damage them. We have 5 saddle packs we are selling since we are going lipo. With 15 min mains at SRS, our 4600s are not lasting to the end. As soon as I get them back from my son, we are selling for 15.00 a pack shipped.
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote