Search

exploring all options for rtr

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default exploring all options for rtr

Hi,

for an 8 year old, new to RC and will try to race. which one, Associated T4 RTR or duratrax evader RTR? the evader is A LOT cheaper than the T4. would it be better to save my money and get the evader? or can the T4 be justified to spend the extra $120.

thx
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

t4 is a racer that you can bash , evader is just for bashing , and nothing wrong with that , ray
Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

my thinking is for a first time 8 year old, racing is gonna be very close to an organized bashing.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I started my oldest out at 5 on the oval. When I moved him to dirt, I put him in a Rustler for the durability. Was glad I did.

I would say go with the Evader for durability and cost until he gets good enough to justify a dedicated race truck. This way he can bash at home as well as practice at the track.

For the extra money you'll save by going Evader, you can get another battery, a good selection of tires and plenty of parts to keep him going until he is ready to move up.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

i was thinking the same thing!!! if he gets good anyway, he will end up running 1/8th scale electric buggy/truggy with me. also, if i buy race setup, i am not going to want him to run it at home. with evader, i don't care if he runs it in the back or at the park.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

^^ Big thumbs up there. I got my son a Tamiya first for that exact reason. He bashes the life out of it, and that's fine because it's cheap and near indestructable. I don't have to spend all my time looking over his shuolder to make sure he's not destroying a lot of expensive kit!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gndprx
I started my oldest out at 5 on the oval. When I moved him to dirt, I put him in a Rustler for the durability. Was glad I did.

I would say go with the Evader for durability and cost until he gets good enough to justify a dedicated race truck. This way he can bash at home as well as practice at the track.

For the extra money you'll save by going Evader, you can get another battery, a good selection of tires and plenty of parts to keep him going until he is ready to move up.
Best idea in the world right here!!Still spend what you would on the T4 just spend the difference in spares and he will have a ton of fun with it!!Oh, buy a decent stock motor for it , the sealed can ones that come in it wear out fast.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

I just bought the evader RTR for $89 on ebay, BRAND NEW!!! can't beat that price!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by teeforb
I just bought the evader RTR for $89 on ebay, BRAND NEW!!! can't beat that price!!!
was it the EXT? i am thinking about buying one of these for my son. what do you think of the Evader?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zmurphy
was it the EXT? i am thinking about buying one of these for my son. what do you think of the Evader?
i do not remember if it was ext or not. the car itself is good for a kit, but the electronics sucks. very delayed response time. and sometimes the car will go in reverse when it suppose to be going forward. and vise versa. i tried reversing the transmitter throttle, but then i can get the tires to stop spinning with the expo.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by teeforb
i do not remember if it was ext or not. the car itself is good for a kit, but the electronics sucks. very delayed response time. and sometimes the car will go in reverse when it suppose to be going forward. and vise versa. i tried reversing the transmitter throttle, but then i can get the tires to stop spinning with the expo.
is it this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DURATRAX-DTXD29A...3A1%7C294%3A50

sounds like you've got something that should be covered under warranty. i would contact the seller and Duratrax immediately.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by zmurphy
is it this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DURATRAX-DTXD29A...3A1%7C294%3A50

sounds like you've got something that should be covered under warranty. i would contact the seller and Duratrax immediately.
yep, that's the one...

too busy to worry about it...