Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen buggies

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Mugen buggies

im in the market to buy an 1/8 scale buggy, preferrably mugen, but not the MBX-5 because of the price tag. My question is what are the differences between the MBX-4 RR, XR, and works. im thinking of one of those but i dont know how they differ and what is better for racing. plan B would be ditching the mugen and getting an Ofna hyper 7 pro.......your thoughts.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

THERE ARE SOME UPGRADES ON THE XR THAT THE RR DOESN'T HAVE NO BIG DEAL THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS THE RR MOUNTS FOR THE ENGINE ARE 3MM CLOSER TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE CAR THAN THE XR I RUN AN RR UPGRADED TO THE XR AND I LOVE IT LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY AND HANDLES LIKE A DREAM LOOK ON EBAY FOR THE XR OR RR YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THE MUGEN ALSO MUGEN PARTS ARE CHEAP TO REPLACE MY OPINION ON THE OFNA BUGGY JUST GET THE MUGEN YOU WILL BE PLEASED
Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

The old mbx is considerably different than either the rr or xr. The suspension geometry is changed considerably. If you do buy the mbx be aware that the parts for the rr and xr do not work. As to handling, the mbx works best on short tight technical layouts while the rr is the middle of the road and the xr is for bigger, more open tracks. I am also a bit concerned as to how long parts will be available for the rr and xr. It is very hard to find parts for the mbx and it is only 3-4 years old. So how long before you can't find parts for it, I don't know. On the other hand, the ofna is a new buggy, and parts are easy to find. I would check on ebay, and you might even be able to find an mbx5 for a reasonable price. Just my .02
Old 11-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

They are all capable of winning but each are a bit different. I have 2 Hyper 7's (well one is a Pro and one I bought as a rtr roller barely used turned into a parts car), and now I run a MBX-5 with the Rex P5. Its just a great handling buggy that steers as well as if not better than the Kanai. Mugen is nice, but parts can be hard to get sometimes, and is much better suited as a racer than buying for bashing. The Hyper 7 Pro is one sweet buggy also. If you go with the Hyper, I can sell you a used roller for cheap with tons of parts from the second car. The major thing thats missing on the H7 is the diffs were stolen when I needed a diff to hold out in my EK4 when it first came out.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

So now that ive figured out that the RR is the lowest of the line, what are the good and bad points of the mugen MBX-4 works and the mugen MBX-4 XR. Which one would be the closest thing to the MBX-5. I like this buggy on ebay and might be bidding on it tomorrow. I just wanna make sure what I am bidding on wont dissapoint me by being more "bash quality" than "racing quality"
Old 11-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

They're the same buggy. Full name is the Mugen MBX-4XR Works.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

ahhhhhh....ok lol. That clears it up for me. I was under the impression that they were 2 different models. Thanks for the input and I will update this when i make my purchase
Old 11-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I used to have a Mugen XR. It was a pretty good buggy. Handled well and pretty durable. I'd recommend the MBX5 if you're going to buy an XR new. Not that the XR had many complaints but the biggest upgrade was the big bore shocks. The XR is notorious for bending shock shafts but setting your set screws (limiters) would ease it a bit.

The MBX5 comes standard with big bores. Plus the big bores will make a difference in longer mains since they stay more consistant.