Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which ofna buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default which ofna buggy?

i am thinking about getting an ofna buggy. i am not sure if the 9.5 mbx rtr which comes with the force .25 or the hyper 7 pbs rtr which comes with the .21 hyper 8-port. which one should i get? i am mainly going to be bashing and jumping. i am looking for good speed, durability, and mantinence. which one is better for these sercumstances?

thanks, jeff
Old 11-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The pbs is a much more popular car than the 9.5 however the 9.5 is a capable car it just seems the hyper 7 wins more on race day.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

hmmmm..... do u think the pbs is a better choice becuase they are the same price. please wnyone eles opinion is greatly appretiated.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

haven't tried the 9.5, but i asked the same thing before i got my buggy. moto from ultimate told me to go with pbs, and i haven't regretted it since. however, you might want to wait a couple months for the pcr version of the hyper 7 pbs.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

o ok thanks what is the good thing about the pcr i think it is out now so i might think about getting that. also when u got ur rtr is the radio even worth using? do u get glitching with AM or is it ok. also how were the stock servos i mean when i get the money i plan on investing some money in to hi speed/torque servos but for the first couple of months or so i will have to use th stock. Are they ok?

thanks, jeff
Old 11-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

the pcr version has mods by paul coleman, but not the actual pcr components. look at the latest rc car action, they have an article comparing the 9.5 violator and the hyper 7 pcr. go to www.ofna.com and you'll see all the pcr aftermarket hop ups - it ain't cheap, but super durable.

as for the rtr radio, i chucked it. i wanted the pbs chassis, and it only comes as any rtr. the servos suck, that would be the first thing i'd change.

btw, the engine has real tight fit between the piston and sleeve, the starter box the kit comes with doesn't generate enough torque. besides, i'd invest in a good starter box.

once you've got the engine broken in, you'll have a real nice engine. i put on a rb c-5, and yeah it's fast, but i also paid alot for it. the tsock hyper 8 port has alot of torque. add a waller power adaptor and a one-piece 086 or 063 pipe, you'll have quite a bit of power.

to sum it up : change the servos and radio, buy a starter box, and add the power adaptor and pipe. that'll keep you happy...atleast for a couple of weeks.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Rookie

hey thanks but i am not going to have the money to get a new starter box right away. so what i cant start it? or is it pullstart also?

thanks for the help, Jeff
Old 11-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

it does come w/ pullstart. the starter box does work, but just not that well. breaking in this engine will try your patience. not sure where you are, but if you're close to orange, ca. ultimate hobbies will break it in w/ a couple tanks.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The thing that 80% of guys do is not breakin the motor properly or the easy way. If you take a heat gun to the engine (hairdryer) and heat the engine up to 200 degrees and crack the glow plug loose it will turn over extremely well and the starter box will not have a problem with it. You can even spray a little wd-40 down the plug hole for the first start. Also with most starter boxes you should rewire it with thicker wire and solder all conections this will make it work much better. Also make sure the wheel is turning at full speed when you contact the flywheel. If you follow some of these steps you will be surprised how well the starter box works. You may have to heat it up for several tanks until it free's up. Also always make sure to store your engine with the piston at bottom dead center and use a good after run oil or fogging oil.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

hey thanks i will have to use the hair dryer method soulds like a good idea. I live in new jersey so that guy is a little far from me

anyway i didnt think the pbs comes with a pull-start becuase on ofnas web-site it has a picture with the pullstart and it says it isnt included.

thanks for the help, jeff