R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-04-2003, 06:01 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novak Brushless Good For Off Road?

I have just bought a B4 and am wondering what to power it with.
Is the novak any good, or should i use a brushed system.

There are no rules at my local club.
rfree02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:45 AM   #2
Tech Regular
Default Novak Brushless

I love the brushless systems. I have novak, hacker and lehner w anothere controller. Novak is a fun torquey system. I wanted to try this in my B4 but decided that motor was too heavy hanging off the back of a light vehicle. I think I will have better results in a heavier truck. For a b4 the hacker motors are similar in weight or lighter than a brushed motor. I would not use hacker controller in B4 because it's huge, barely fits in TC3. I would use lighter controller. I talked to Josh who works at hacker last weekend and he said hacker is testing a new controller that is smaller for cars. Brushless is the best way, I think. Definitely cheaper in long run. Your motor doesn't go slower run after run like brushed. A good web site for brushless equipment and info is finedesignmarine.com. He carries things that no body else stocks and some good sales. Lifetime warranty on motors bought through him I think. Hacker motors are powerful so call hacker and get recomendations. I bought C40 6t and it's the first time I purchased a motor and said to myself this may actually be too much power!!!!!!! If you buy hacker motor be very careful when mounting motor, motor screws will strip out the soft aluminum on motor very, very easily!!!!! Hacker please use stronger or heat treated aluminum on motor. Just my 2 cents.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

hi all, amen to that charles, hacker is the WAY to go.
ive got an 8turn that i run in a T3, B3 and a Cat2000.
like charles said, the ESC is LARGE, but I can get it in
these vehicles, just.
It goes absolutely fantastic, especially top end
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice
Default novak brushless

ive seen kinwald use one at socal on his xxx and he tore up mod class but hes the dirt and can win with everything so i guess i dont know
losi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:42 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Radio Control Car Action did a test between the B4 and the XXX ke and they used the Novak SS 55800 sytem in both test vehicles. They said it worked awesome.

I have heard the some people didn't like the extra weight in buggy but that most did see any difference.

I run mine in a XXX4 and it is amazing. I know this is very different from your situation because of the motor placement in the chassis but I can tell you that torque curve and responsiveness of this combo is HEAVEN for off road applications.

The only potential downside to this system is speed. If you regularly run with sub 10 turn motors you will not feel it is as fast. It is however much smoother.
Tony Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:00 AM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Novak Brushless is FANTASTIC for both on-road and off-road! Longer run times. hardly any maintenance, less costly in the long run, and operates as smooth as silk once you have everything properly set-up (gearing, etc.)! After Novak's first batch of Super Sport Brushless Systems was released, they have since done some "Running Updates" on the whole system that which has eliminated the bugs found on some of the 1st batch's early problems. With regards to use with a B4, the ESC can be a bit of a tight squeeze on it because of how snug and "slammed" it's body is on the chassis. A bit of tape on the body's underside will protect your B4's paint job. The only other worry would be getting proper ventilation and airflow to help keep the ESC at normal operating temperatures (160-180 F - max!). Definitely use the body's side vents for better air circulation. Once these issues are addressed, all should be well! After you have had a good taste of using a Brushless System, you won't want to go back! Brushless Forever Baby!!!

STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:28 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the novak is the best thing since sliced bread. i have it in a xxx-t and it works flawless. novak has several motors that use the same esc. go to there web and check it out. you will not be disappointed.
r1harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:25 AM   #8
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Lehner Basic 4200 is a good offroad motor and very compact. I am experimenting with a Kontronik motor at the moment. The Kontronik esc is one of the smallest I've ever seen too. There new stuff on the horizon too.......which I should be distributing in another month or two.
305997 is offline   Reply With Quote