xx4 from ebay, please help >

xx4 from ebay, please help

xx4 from ebay, please help

Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default xx4 from ebay, please help

First off hello all.
This is my first post so take it easy on me. I am not new to RC cars but it has been a good 10 years since I have played with them. I currently own a B4, Losi Dessert truck, and a XXT. I just won a XX4 on ebay and would like to know a few things before it gets here.
First from what I have read the XX4 seem to be good buggies,(I know everyone has their own favorite) what I am worried about is the local shop really does not stock much for the XX4, so are any of the parts for the nitro trucks interchangable with the XX4. They usually stock parts for them.
Second, I currently have plenty of 6 cell stick batteries but the XX4 uses the split packs. The XXX4 uses the 6 cell sticks, is there a way to swap out the main chassis with out changing out most of the truck or can it be done with only a few parts swapping out.
Once again thanks for the help and I will keep every one updated if any one wants me to.
Jerry
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

It figures right after I post I find the XX4 thread with the answer to number 2. Any help on number 1?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Oh your screwed on number one... Sorry. losi 4 wheels break like glass. Especially the xx-4. Be careful. And order a bunch of spares.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Tech Master

Can't really help with your first questions, but from what I saw last weekend at Pegasus the xx4 is pretty durable. Mad mark was beating the heck out of one
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mad Mark was running my XXX-4 with older spoke wheels (shattered them too).

There are quite a few parts still available for the XX-4. Not much besides some hardware and bearings are compatible with the nitro trucks...

You can re-arrange the electronics in your XX-4 to run a straight pack. Lots of guys are doing it to run stick LiPo packs. There are a few threads hear that talk about it.

The XX-4 is a pretty stable car, but probably breaks the easiest of all the 4WD cars out there. You can use the newer wheels used on the XXX-4. they don't break.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the xx-4 is just like any other 4 wheel in that the front arms are very fragile.. i would definetley order a few sets of front and rear arms.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Tech Adept

they still make parts for the xx4, look at http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/StoreFront if your LHS cannot help you.

every 4wd out there breaks when you hit something, my xxx-4 is out lasting the other 4wd's in our area, you just have to learn how to drive it. i would suggest picking up steering knuckles and front arms and front shock tower, that is usually what hits first, and do not practice the track when 1/8 scale buggies are out there, your car will be a magnet on the track!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Alright, the front arms are a fragile part but other then the 501x its the same with all 4wd. However, If you turn through the XX4 forum you will see the fixes to make your xx4 just as durable if not more durable than any of the current generation buggies. I had the crashback arms and they were junk, you are much better off making the arm braces out of an old chassis or similar material. These can be seen and copied from the xx4 thread and I believe was originally posted by F N Cuda. My buggy has taken quite a few massive hits that should have destroyed the front arms, but alas the only thing that broke was the front arm brace and at 13 dollars a set of front arms, id rather break the braces.

As for parts go, you should check out losipartshouse.com

They have everyhting you need there.

As for parts shared with the gas truck, maybe a bearing or two??

You are going to really enjoy your xx4 as I do mine. If you have any questions feel free to pm me or ask in the xx4 thread.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys, I know all about the losi parts house, I have already made several orders from them. I plan on sitting down with a gallon of coffee and reading the XX4 thread but I need to find the extra 10 hours it is going to take. I guess I can just break it down into 1 hour segments LOL.
I know every truck will break if you hit hard enough, I was jusy hoping to find the magic parts I guess.
Jerry
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up

-caster block screws (homemade or XFactory)
-shock tower braces (Penguin R/C or XFactory)
-bellcrank mod (35mm(?) screw and some washers)
-aluminum one-piece rear pivot block (somewhat involved mod, Trinity pivot
block is difficult to find.)
-B2 or B3 front hingepin brace (bulkhead and brace need a little clearancing for this mod. XXX front pin brace might also work.)

With these mods, I haven't broken a thing on my XX4. Some also use plastic towers and arms instead of graphite and don't break as much...I haven't had a problem with either.

You should keep spare belts, towers, front bulkheads, and front arms on hand...maybe a set of front driveshaft yokes if you're still running them instead of cvd's.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would definitely give the X5 conversion a look from X-Factory for your XX4. Seems to give the best of both worlds as far as XX4 handling, and XXX4 acceleration with the single belt.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I would definitely give the X5 conversion a look from X-Factory for your XX4. Seems to give the best of both worlds as far as XX4 handling, and XXX4 acceleration with the single belt.
I have nothing against the x5 but people always bring up the 3 belts of teh xx4 as this huge negative. The 3 belt friction is hardly an issue. I think its blown way out of proportion to how much friction they really add and secondly with modern lipos and 5.5 and 6.5 brushless motors runtime and insane power are flat out non issues with ANY 4wd system.

With the x5 you lose the BEST part of the xx4--the adjustable one-way "clicker". That feature alone keeps me holding on to my xx4 we.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Mad Mark was running my XXX-4 with older spoke wheels (shattered them too).

There are quite a few parts still available for the XX-4. Not much besides some hardware and bearings are compatible with the nitro trucks...

You can re-arrange the electronics in your XX-4 to run a straight pack. Lots of guys are doing it to run stick LiPo packs. There are a few threads hear that talk about it.

The XX-4 is a pretty stable car, but probably breaks the easiest of all the 4WD cars out there. You can use the newer wheels used on the XXX-4. they don't break.

Good luck!

Jerome
Ohhhhhh
i thought he was driving a xx4
my bad ignore my first comment then
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Truthfully, they are all going to break at times. They have more moving parts and the designs can't be as sturdy to accomodate the front drive train. Everyone will say one is better than another, but the constant is that cars don't have major parts failures if you don't hit things, including the ground. You can't get upset when you overshoot the downramp of a jump by 5 feet and slap the chassis on the hard ground and break something. Just like you can't get mad when you take off a front a-arm when you hit a corner at high speed. Currently I have both a XX4 and a XXX4. Both are great cars - especially when I'm not crashing.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

id just like to say for every one talking down the xxx4 to day is sunday race day and i was launching my xxx4 off the jumps flying the buggy as you say and never broke any thing after i got my buggy and reading here about them breaking hell i didnt want to run due to it may break well all i have to say is i been running it now 7 weeks and i guess im lucky i havent broke anything yet
its running a brushless losi sys, and lipos and launching it off the jumps now like crazy