Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is a fast 19 turn motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default what is a fast 19 turn motor

at the moment I have a reedy radon 17 turn motor which I am thinking of replacing with another type of 19 turn motor. My motor although being 17 turn, the people who I race buggies against who have 19 turn motors beat me. So does anybody know a reliable 19 turn motor which is fast but yet affordable?

thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

beat you on a track or in a drag in the neighborhood? go over your car's drivetrain and suspension. are you gear properly. is the motor in need of service (brushes, alignment, springs, cut, bushings etc)? if on a track, how is ur driving and where are you losing time. as much folks feel the motor is the prob, most of time its not

R
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am losing time on the straights because of the speed, and at the start of the race, the acceleration is very slow.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

what kinda of car, what gear ratio, what batt, how large is track.

could be spinning wheels (start) or be overgeared (slow accel and not enuff track to get to full spd).

R
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the checkpoint money is good if you can find them
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
what kinda of car, what gear ratio, what batt, how large is track.

could be spinning wheels (start) or be overgeared (slow accel and not enuff track to get to full spd).

R
the track is quite bendy but it has 3 straights each about 10m long, its an associated b4, i used a range of batteries, the average would be about 2000mAh and about 7.2 volts.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

19T motors tend to be faster than the "budget" 17T motors, mainly because 19T motors are developed for racing, and budget motors are not.

All the "spec" racing 19T motors on the market are decent, I have run the Integy "Blue Atlas" motor in a 4wd buggy in the past and it is totally usable.

If your car is slow out of the corners gearing may also be an issue, try a smaller pinion for more acceleration.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
19T motors tend to be faster than the "budget" 17T motors, mainly because 19T motors are developed for racing, and budget motors are not.

All the "spec" racing 19T motors on the market are decent, I have run the Integy "Blue Atlas" motor in a 4wd buggy in the past and it is totally usable.

If your car is slow out of the corners gearing may also be an issue, try a smaller pinion for more acceleration.
thank you! that was a very helpful comment. my friend did say that 19t can be better.

Could you tell me whether this is problem is the gears or the motor:

the acceleration out of the start is not due to spinning wheels, I am pretty sure of that, it's as if the batteries are low on power and it will take about 2 seconds to get up to speed, is that beacuse of the motor or the gears?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

if it is the motor, do you think this would be a good replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fantom-Team-19...3A1|240%3A1318

EDIT ** or this one which seems better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Reedy-Challeng...ayphotohosting

Last edited by asbe88; 01-19-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asbe88
thank you! that was a very helpful comment. my friend did say that 19t can be better.

Could you tell me whether this is problem is the gears or the motor:

the acceleration out of the start is not due to spinning wheels, I am pretty sure of that, it's as if the batteries are low on power and it will take about 2 seconds to get up to speed, is that beacuse of the motor or the gears?

You have a RTR B4 right ?

anywayz turn up the end points on your radio and also look into the orion element or checkpoint money motor.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM

10m long, kinda short but anyway. b4. what are u geared at. the 17 is a machine wound mod as opposed to purpose built race 19t. if u have bread might be time to go BL and lay waste to ur friends (might not be so friendly afterwards). gear ratio is key, but i notice another issue

UR BATTERIES!!! while u wouldnt notice it so much in mod, but 19t and especially stock batteries are key. honestly, if u cant afford BL yet, still, do urself a favor (hopefully u have a lipo friendly charger, if not they can be had ac/dc for 60bux-onyx 230-heck i even use this for club races over my race stuff)....and buy 1, yes 1, lipo. its all u'll need.

now b4 u come and reply back or have some1 tell u that u cant use lipo b/c u dont have a cutoff ESC in ur car. well when u go BL u will, but for now u CAN use it but u of course have to be responsible in not runnin ur car down too low. give u an idea...

if u purchase a SMC 4100 lipo for example (great batt, 65bux). in mod 2wd buggy (using a CR right now, but i've had a b4 in past)....in 6min heats i dump out bout 1100mah on the short track here. so in theory i could almost run the whole day on 1 battery, 1 charge!!!! when i had used a trakpower 4900 i could have.

so if u have 6min races (or ur club still does 5 for now), u can run ur heat and be confident that ur not anywhere close to cutoff voltage, prolly barely 25% used. no reason u couldnt run 20min on charge (if u had a cutoff for safety to ur battery).

i do presently run another class of car with a lipo but we still use 540 motors and older ESCs, naturally they dont have cutoffs. but b/c we know how long our batts go and how little these spec cars draw. its no issue.

cutoffs are for those who are not responsible enuff to monitor the state of their car and how long they've been running (that or endurance racing, but thats another matter).

any ?s, feel free

R
Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
10m long, kinda short but anyway. b4. what are u geared at. the 17 is a machine wound mod as opposed to purpose built race 19t. if u have bread might be time to go BL and lay waste to ur friends (might not be so friendly afterwards). gear ratio is key, but i notice another issue

UR BATTERIES!!! while u wouldnt notice it so much in mod, but 19t and especially stock batteries are key. honestly, if u cant afford BL yet, still, do urself a favor (hopefully u have a lipo friendly charger, if not they can be had ac/dc for 60bux-onyx 230-heck i even use this for club races over my race stuff)....and buy 1, yes 1, lipo. its all u'll need.

now b4 u come and reply back or have some1 tell u that u cant use lipo b/c u dont have a cutoff ESC in ur car. well when u go BL u will, but for now u CAN use it but u of course have to be responsible in not runnin ur car down too low. give u an idea...

if u purchase a SMC 4100 lipo for example (great batt, 65bux). in mod 2wd buggy (using a CR right now, but i've had a b4 in past)....in 6min heats i dump out bout 1100mah on the short track here. so in theory i could almost run the whole day on 1 battery, 1 charge!!!! when i had used a trakpower 4900 i could have.

so if u have 6min races (or ur club still does 5 for now), u can run ur heat and be confident that ur not anywhere close to cutoff voltage, prolly barely 25% used. no reason u couldnt run 20min on charge (if u had a cutoff for safety to ur battery).

i do presently run another class of car with a lipo but we still use 540 motors and older ESCs, naturally they dont have cutoffs. but b/c we know how long our batts go and how little these spec cars draw. its no issue.

cutoffs are for those who are not responsible enuff to monitor the state of their car and how long they've been running (that or endurance racing, but thats another matter).

any ?s, feel free

R
thanks, very useful comment!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge

more on the motor though,

if i happened to get a new one (because the one i have now is old and bad) would you reccommend any specific brand such as reedy etc?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM

they are gettin harder to find b/c 19t by roar rules in 2009, is dead. again gets back to lookin at BL (in ur case 13.5), in interim, try and find a Checkpoint if u can.

R
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

If i was still running brushed 19t i would run the Reedy Challenger.
It is a very fast motor and with the new brush shape the brushes don't chatter which makes it a very efficient motor.
also the brushes last a lot longer than most 19t motors.

http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=5051.xxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.