Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which tyres are best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation Which tyres are best?

I currently have an associated b4 which I race on a track hich is made up of a mixture of grass, AstroTurf, and carpet; and my buggy is fine but I can' seem to find the right tyres. I have two sets of Studs/stubbies which the stubs are slightly different sizes, and a pair of spikes, which are greens (not sure which make) which don't have inserts in. The track is in the woods and is often wet. At the moment i am fine down the straights but every time I go round a tight corner and spin around up to 270 degrees and my buggy often ends up facing the wrong way.

my steering rate is on 60%

the diff has been checked and is fine

if it will help my buggy is 2wd

what tyres should i use?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

You should post your setup as it will help people with suggestions as to things other than tyres that may be affecting the handling.

Tyres (or TIRES for you yanks) really are the most important part of the set-up, so it pays to know what you are running on.

I'd maybe try a soft compound tyre, with a soft insert to help get some side-bite.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JR007
You should post your setup
i got this bit wrong! so please ignore this reply!

Last edited by asbe88; 01-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'd maybe try a soft compound tyre, with a soft insert to help get some side-bite.
Would medium compounds with soft inserts be alright?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asbe88
I am using a reedy radon 17-turn motor which is not brushless.

the buggy is 2wd

and a lrp ai speed controller

a ko propo 2 channel reciever (and transmitter)

two sets of stubbie tyres with medium inserts (like i said before) and another set of greens with no inserts. I have no idea what make or model the tyres are but i have a feeling i have schumacher wheels
Setup is refered to your suspension setup, example: shock weight oil, color springs, amount of camber, amount of toe, ball stud locations, etc....
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

at the front i have brown springs, at the back i have black.

camber is 92 degrees

1 degree toe-in
Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asbe88
at the front i have brown springs, at the back i have black.

camber is 92 degrees

1 degree toe-in
92 is this positive 8 deg camber?? positive is top of tire out away from car. You should never run positive camber it decreases side bite considerably

I run a Associated T4 this is my setup and this is what the other guys are looking for.

AE FT T4 2wd Factory Tracks Setup
Front Blue springs 30-35wt #2 piston .120 shock limiters
camber link (1a) inside on the tower and hub
shocks middle on the tower and inside on the arm
Rear Green springs 25-30wt #1 piston .090 shock limiters
camber link (1c) inside on the tower outside on the hub
shocks middle on tower and inside on the arm
plastic truck(chassis, arms, shock towers) –1 deg camber front & rear
30caster block, battery middle.
31/30 ride height.

If you have a major brand car their will be setup sheets avalable online for the specific car you own.
Talk to the fast guys at your track.
More often than not they are willing to help out
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

no no no! the top of the wheels are facing IN by 2 degrees.

also, would you reccommend me getting blue and green springs like you? if so how would i approach this?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

sounds like we need a few of our UK friends to chime in as that track description sounds more like what he's dealin with.

read the b4 (and similar) buggy reviews on oople.com , their over there so might give u closer tips on what their doing with those surfaces.

R
Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, Oople is the king of UK sites. Has a whole bunch of B4 info. Your tracks are COMPLETELY different to the yanks, as much as our Kiwi tracks are. The closest thing we get to blue groove is the girls at the local strip club.....

If it's really bumpy and rutted, you need super soft springs to try and keep the chassis even. Too hard springs, and the chassis will "bounce" out of ruts which isn't good for traction. I have a loose, bumpy track and run Front brown springs on 35 weight, and rear green springs on 25 weight. The car slaps like hell on big jump landings, but it needs to be soft to absorb those huge ruts.

The best thing you can do, is get a range of springs and shock oils, as well as a few different sets of tires and try different combo's out. It's expensive and slow going, but you will get a great deal more enjoyment out of a faster car on the track at the ened of it. PLUS, you will learn a lot about what adjustments affect a car.

Also, read the blurbs on the tyre manufacturers websites, they make the tyres, and know what conditions they are designed for.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
sounds like we need a few of our UK friends to chime in as that track description sounds more like what he's dealin with.

read the b4 (and similar) buggy reviews on oople.com , their over there so might give u closer tips on what their doing with those surfaces.

R
Yeah, Oople is the king of UK sites. Has a whole bunch of B4 info. Your tracks are COMPLETELY different to the yanks, as much as our Kiwi tracks are. The closest thing we get to blue groove is the girls at the local strip club.....

If it's really bumpy and rutted, you need super soft springs to try and keep the chassis even. Too hard springs, and the chassis will "bounce" out of ruts which isn't good for traction. I have a loose, bumpy track and run Front brown springs on 35 weight, and rear green springs on 25 weight. The car slaps like hell on big jump landings, but it needs to be soft to absorb those huge ruts.

The best thing you can do, is get a range of springs and shock oils, as well as a few different sets of tires and try different combo's out. It's expensive and slow going, but you will get a great deal more enjoyment out of a faster car on the track at the ened of it. PLUS, you will learn a lot about what adjustments affect a car.

Also, read the blurbs on the tyre manufacturers websites, they make the tyres, and know what conditions they are designed for.
will do thanks!