R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-29-2003, 11:04 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Duratrax offroad cars are they any good

Is there any one here that own any offroad duratrax, I just need to ask if they are durable or not i am not going to race with them I just need too get one to have fun with.
mohamed_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Tech Rookie
Send a message via ICQ to Radix

I love mine and it's handled doing 5m+ high jumps at the local bmx track and a lot of hard wear that I've given it. That said - you still have to be careful with any car and avoid collisions at speed.

I've had a few breakages - but nothing major - broken the front hinge pin and wrecked the front bumper, but there's a some good replacements out there - check out Jep-RC's stuff - http://www.geocities.com/jep_rc/home.html.
Radix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I owned an evader BX Buggy and its good, parts are so durable and most of all affordable but if you thinking of a serious racing you have to add hop-ups so that this will become more competative.

Look for the Evader BX thread and you will find some helpfull website regarding this.

Bro, go for it for you to know how fun it is.

Good Luck!
FP6VH>DX6i>DX7 Na!
Dyordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

If bashing you can pick from a FEW companies
Duratrax or Associated Buggy wise.
Duratrax,Losi,Associated,or Traxxas Stadium truck wise

Duratrax is great for one thing.BASHING and having a blast.
If your even considering getting on a track DONT touch this car or truck and waste your money.Doesnt matter what hopups you add to it you will end up replacing it with associated or losi.
The Traxxas Rustler and the Duratrax truck are great bashers.Goodluck with your decision.
*****Look me up on Ebay. I will have alot of stuff going up as 7/7/2016. User name is Dalracer.**** This is going to be a BIG ONE!!!!!!
Just wanted to say Thanks to RcTech for all these years of Great Information.
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #5
Tech Master

for just bashing around yes, but if you wanna get serious and race no bcuz it just don't handle well or well enough compared to the other trucks. When i had one and right when i got it the shocks had water or some type of different substances in it all i know is that it wasn't shock oil. Other than that it's all right.
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #6
Tech Addict
Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

yes they are pretty good for playing around but the problem for racing is they always put to big of a motor in it so it is not legal..the nitro evader comes with a .18 which i dont know of anywhere that is a legal motor..
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #7
Tech Rookie
Send a message via ICQ to Radix

I think you guys misread the original guys question. He didn't ask if he could race with a duratrax off-road, he asked if they are durable and can he have fun with it.

The answer is a resounding YES!

The Duratrax stuff is designed for BASHING.. ie. going crazy in the dirt, doing jumps, and through all terrain. Out of the box you have a vehicle that is way better than any Tamiya or Kyosho buggy - with solid construction, good suspension, aluminium shocks, and pretty good handling. Heck, they even give a 1 year stress tech warranty on it. Perfect car for the beginner/novice who just wants to have fun.

That said, even if you want to race it in the novice categories it's fine too - chuck a good stock motor in, put some decent M3 based tyres on it and it's great fun there too (I race mine in those classes at the moment).
Sure, if you want a professional racer - go for your Team Associated or Losi - but he's not after that.. so lets not get into a squabble over what's better in that area.

Now I've only played with the electric duratrax vehicles, not the nitro's, so can't comment about those, but I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased with my buggy.
Radix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Well, I guess if your just going to do some backyard bashing it would be fine..... but it won't be long before you get bored doing that. If there are a handful of you, then maybe it will be more fun..... but sooner or later, you will eventually want something more than just bashing..... that "more" could well be having a taste of joining in an organized off-road race! If so, then the racing bug will bite and you will graduate to a new level and side of being an RC Off-Roader. So if there is that hint of a possibility for you, I would get a Losi XXX BK2 or better yet an Associated B4 that way when that day does arrive (and your competetive juices are flowing), you will know your kit like the back of your hand plus it will have no problem keeping up with anyone at the track! You will save time & money in the long run plus have more fun!

STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

Duratrax vehicles are tough and are competitive in must club racing. I have seem them handle quite well on the track. So for the money, you really can't go wrong there.

Since you won't be racing, what mainly are you looking for other than durability? Are you looking to have a really fast vehicle? Do you want something that can take insane jumps and go through the grass fast?

One vehicle that I have driven and enjoyed was the Traxxas Stampede, if you are strickly bashing, this is one that for the money is perfect for that. We actually race them ( monster trucks in general ) in a class at my track, and it is tough, handles great, and is FAST with a chameleon motor. (regularly spanks the more expensive E-maxxes, more bang for the buck )

If it was me for bashing, I would probably get something like this:

Duratrax vehicle or Traxxas vehicle
Racer's Edge 3000s ( good runtime and they are cheap )
Masher 2000 Tires ( for that all terrain fun )
Ball bearings if the vehicle doesn't have them

Also, for durablity, if you get a traxxas, see what RPM makes for hopups, they are very durable. With this setup, you will have lots of speed, great run time, and can bash on pretty much any surface with confidence.

Eventually you may want more speed, so you may want a better ESC right off the bat. If reverse isn't important, get the duratrax Streak, great ESC for the dollars and can handle faster motors ( down to 13 turn I think ). I personally like the 19T Peak Dynasty motor. excellent power. May even work with the stock Sprint ESC.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote