Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo drifter turned rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Yokomo drifter turned rally

Well I was tired of my drifter sitting on the shelf, on-road is not all that much fun, So I decided to turn it into rally. I wanted it to be cheap as possibly and use as many stock parts that I can. I reworked the shocks and chassis t allow the suspension arms to drop. I think it turned out nice so far, but now that I have alot more tweaking and modifying to do. I will get pictures up soon.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Some pics

Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice! I'm working on my raly car at the moment. I've bought a set of schumacher minipin tyres and a peugot 206 shell, and they're coming through the post hopefully
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Nice to see your thinking in the box, but I have two words for you - Dremel tool ... It's not cool to hack job your car man.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

That Dremel tool is the best thing invented. Right now the chassis is cut to rough form and finished it the other night. Im going to go back and clean up the edges as it still slightly binds at the arms at the chassis. I also have another chassis laying around so Im really not to concernd about this one. I agree the chassis does looked hacked right now, but I just went out to get a carbon bit that will clean everything up.

My concern are the shocks. I am really unsure how well the stock ones will do. But trying to find a touring car shock for rally is hard to come by. Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible and use as many spare parts that I have.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

maybe try using some front shocks from a truck or buggy
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by action135
maybe try using some front shocks from a truck or buggy
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

I've been hit with the rally bugs as well. I changed the shocks on my TC4 to a longer stroke. And I'm now looking for some rally wheels.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know how serious it is in RC cars.....but that would not handle well at all with the arms drooping like that at ride height in full scale. ouch!

I would like to see a rally track built and run on though!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Foxxrocket
What shocks are you running now, or what did you use on them?

Bump
Well for right now im just wanting this thing to get off the shelf. Im not a fan of on-road anymore so i just wanted something to throw into the dirt, plus the only race track near me is 1/8, but i still think it will be fun to just drive and roll up the jumps since most of the jumps have some sort of small table top to them that the buggies clear with no problem. I will just run it while im waiting for my buggy to cool down after some tanks. As for the ride height, since there are alot of ruts in the track I want it to clear them basically and not get to caught up
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well if nothing else it is pretty neat... just run the crap out of it and have fun!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

I think I found the perfet solution to my shock problem. The shock shocks after being modyfied were only 61mm long. I was looking for around 70mm. Plus I realized that the stock yokomo shocks are unable to hold shock fluid but instead used rubber inserts insdie the shocks. Im sure the 1/16 shocks can handle a touring car and mess with the setup. Any input?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20595
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

definitely wasn't sayin any bad about the build, i think it's killer! I wish this would have caught on rather than CORR honestly. A colin mccrae rally car, hopped up WRC subbie!!! killleerrrrr
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nitroburner9
Foxxrocket
What shocks are you running now, or what did you use on them?
I basicly use the same shocks. I just changed the shock shaft to .56". I might try .71" to get more down travle. I'm also trying to find a way to use a skid plate rather than bumber.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Well i was able to bring the car to the local track. It went surprisingly well however the shocks are more like springs. The car handled well on the straights and it looks awesome! Turning was just as easy as a buggy but going up and down the ramps was a struggle with the suspension being completely springs. Anyone have any reviews about the Trinity Next shocks in the link above?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.