Wiki Posts
Search

Generic Dean's Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Generic Dean's Connectors?

My issue with Dean's is the inability to buy more than 1 or 2 per pack, and it seems when I need them no one has them or it's not worth spending $2 on gas for a $2 part. The only thing I can find in bulk is generic Deans, which I'm guessing are probably just as good. Anyone use them? You can get 20 connectors for $6.50, seems to be all right by me. Conductivity is a good thing, however I raced my Slash on Saturday with electrical tape holding one of the wires to the connector tab!

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...idProduct=2116
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Stick with deans, there arent anythreads about the generic deans for a reason. Next time your at the LHS, buy 10m and 10f and you should be good for a while...avoid the generic...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I say give them a try. While your at it, measure the resistance with a multimeter and let the rest of know the results. For 6.50, it's a cheap risk to take.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

resistanc isn't a problem with the ganaric deans, melting is
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

I use generic Deans plugs. They are called Duratraxx or something. They work perfectly fine. Some I have tried have the plastic surround melt if they get too hot by leaving the soldering iron on too long, but if they are soldered properly, they are fine
Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

stick with the deans.. they do have them in a five pack or something of the sort... i saw them in a hobby shop somewhere
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I test a lot of packs for ROAR lipo testing. During the short circuit test - the "fake" deans connectors will melt off as the connector builds up heat from the high current draw (60+ amps). The Real Dean's connectors don't heat up nearly as much and don't melt off.

Buy the real stuff.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I made the mistake of buying generic Deans...I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!! They wouldn't fit right, melted, didn't hold solder well...just plain sucked!!! Some of them looked perfect but didn't transfer the power....had to replace it (this happened on 3 of them).
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree, the generic ones can't handle the heat, and don't seem to have the same over all quality. Your Local HS should be able to order or may carry the Deans in packs of just female and male. I forget the quantity, but it's well worth it to get the packs of each, or just a pack of what you need.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

DO NOT BUY THE GENERIC DEANS PLUGS!!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I use the generic version from Hobbycity.com, and I recommend them. They are made of nylon, which does not melt like some other generic connectors. They hold solder fine. They are a little tight connecting and disconnecting for a while, but loosen up to be just right after a couple dozen connections.

I suggest that you buy a pack of 10 pairs and try them yourself. Form your own opinion of them. I'm confident that you will like them. They do what they are supposed to do, and do it well. Who cares if they aren't name brand?

Johnny
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f00fy
I use the generic version from Hobbycity.com, and I recommend them. They are made of nylon, which does not melt like some other generic connectors. They hold solder fine. They are a little tight connecting and disconnecting for a while, but loosen up to be just right after a couple dozen connections.

I suggest that you buy a pack of 10 pairs and try them yourself. Form your own opinion of them. I'm confident that you will like them. They do what they are supposed to do, and do it well. Who cares if they aren't name brand?

Johnny

Yeah.. All the reviews on there seem to be good. Everyone who has not to use them has never actually used them. Is Dean's available in bulk? Like 10 or 20 packs? I'm sick of getting a plastic bag with 2 connectors in it, what a waste of materials.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Think about it a little.. you can probably afford to go cheap if you have simple charging leads or very low current applciations.

If your running a higher end setup, esp with BL & LiPo then you probably *really* want better quality..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lathiat
Think about it a little.. you can probably afford to go cheap if you have simple charging leads or very low current applciations.

If your running a higher end setup, esp with BL & LiPo then you probably *really* want better quality..

Have you tried these connectors?

For that matter, I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually used these connectors.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f00fy
Have you tried these connectors?

For that matter, I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually used these connectors.
If you took the time and read the thread you would have seen some have posted about using them and they have failed .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.