Search

Best overall 4WD buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best overall 4WD buggy?

Hey guys,

I have a little dilema about what car to buy. I know all these cars are very breakable but I am interested in one that breaks less than another. I have a few used XXX-4 G+s that are in OK condition but possibly need to have some money put into them and I am not sure I want to do it now being that this is such an old car now. I do have enough money to buy a new 4WD buggy but it is such a hard choice since I don't have local parts availability on any of the brands. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I have been looking into the Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 FS as it looks pretty solid but I know that most people have B44s.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

The "best" 4 wheeler?

Well I would pass on the XXX-4 G+, cause they seem to break all the time!
The Associated B44 is incredible and the Hot Bodies D4 is just as amazing! But both of these will set you back a bit on funds... But ya know you get what you pay for!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

I have a b44 but the zx-5 FS looks really good at my local track. The b44 parts are pretty cheap. My b44's only flaw so far has weak front shock shafts. Everything else i have broken has been my driving.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You got it playa the Lazer zx-5 FS !!

It's is dialed. It's more stable the the SP and buily stronger around the shock towers.

The B44 breaks front shock shafts and that's not a fun trackside activity plus those shocks suck. I used to run a B4/T4 so i am not bias good cars but high maintenance shocks brought me back to the kyosho. The quality is just so much higher.

I like the FS over the sp because i see a couple driveline weak points have been eliminated and the car is just a bit more stable and jumps slightly better.

It's like if they took the good from the B44 and the good from the SP and rolled it into one.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

The last Kyosho I had was a Ultima back in the day and I was not impressed at that time. The chassis was way too weak so I have always been a little scared of Kyosho since. The main reason I am asking for strength in a 4WD is because I am going to be running on outdoor 1/8 scale tracks. Again guys thanks for your thoughts
Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by motomanpat
The last Kyosho I had was a Ultima back in the day and I was not impressed at that time. The chassis was way too weak so I have always been a little scared of Kyosho since. The main reason I am asking for strength in a 4WD is because I am going to be running on outdoor 1/8 scale tracks. Again guys thanks for your thoughts

Yea then you would want a FS over a SP, It handles the rough stuff better.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

You are gonna run it outside?
Then have you considered the XX-4?
Handle the rough stuff very well!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

+1 on the xx4, they are old and still extremely competitive. I roll one and it keeps up with all the other 4 wheels at OCRC (very talented drivers).

I have however been seeing the kyosho zx-5 fs being wheeled by Casper and that thing looks IMPRESSIVE. I think with the newest crop of 4 wheelers I dont think you will be disappointed with the B44, D4, Kyosho, or The really old Losi. I havent seen a xxx4g+ fare very well, but of course in the right hands....
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My vote is for the Academy SBV2 personally. I feel it has the most configurable chassis configuration and has a very solid drive line. I've also gone nose to nose at full speed with a Kyosho and destroyed his front end (shock tower, shock body, a-arm) while I just ended up with just a bent shock shaft...but that's likely just the luck of the angles that we hit.

The Kyosho and the Associated are both very good buggies as well and all are very capable on and off the track. If parts support is not good for any of them in your area then there really is no clear cut winner I'm afraid.

The one big negative to the B44 is the saddle pack configuration.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gndprx
My vote is for the Academy SBV2 personally. I feel it has the most configurable chassis configuration and has a very solid drive line. I've also gone nose to nose at full speed with a Kyosho and destroyed his front end (shock tower, shock body, a-arm) while I just ended up with just a bent shock shaft...but that's likely just the luck of the angles that we hit.

The Kyosho and the Associated are both very good buggies as well and all are very capable on and off the track. If parts support is not good for any of them in your area then there really is no clear cut winner I'm afraid.

The one big negative to the B44 is the saddle pack configuration.

SBV-2 !

What shocks do you recommend he put on it ?

Last edited by Jason Pelletier; 01-11-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

I'm looking at the Tamiya and Schumacher myself, but I'll pass on anything with saddle packs.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
I'm looking at the Tamiya and Schumacher myself, but I'll pass on anything with saddle packs.
I was the same way till the SMC saddles came out.... Orions coming soon..... so i hear.....
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
I was the same way till the SMC saddles came out.... Orions coming soon..... so i hear.....
Its just stupid to have to buy specific packs for a setup that has been proven outdated.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I'm new to dirt, but I have been racing touring cars for a year and a half (Schumacher Mi3) so when the Schumacher Cat SX came out I thought I'd go have some fun and get dirty!

I have ran two races thus far along with a couple hours of practice and I have not broken the first part yet, and the track I run on is fairly large.
I have even tried the triple that no one tries and even though it didn't turn out pretty, no broken parts!

The car is well built and the support from Schumacher can't be beat.

Happy Racing
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The B44 is solid...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.