Search

4WD truck for my Son

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 4WD truck for my Son

Hi guys,

I want to get my son more involved in this wonderful hobby of ours. He is turning seven this April & I want him to join me in enjoying offroad action (mostly bashing) at our local track. Some pics of the track :

This is an 8th scale track that a bunch of guys bash at weekly. After some thought, I think a 10th scale 4wd truck with brushed motor will do nicely to get my boy started. The ability to upgrade to brushless power will be a bonus.

I am thinking perhaps either an E-Maxx or an E Revo may fit the bill. What do u think. How durable are these trucks ?

Your toughts thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : I have actually bought a HPI E-firestorm flux for him but after trying it out myself, I think 4WD is a better idea for a beginner. 2WD is more difficult to drive IMHO. Firestorm is mine now .
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have both the Emaxx2 and E-revo. IMHO, get the E-revo. In stock trim your son will be able to handle it well and when he needs to go faster, use your BL system from your other cars and your good to go. Happy bashing!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Do they race 4WD trucks at your track? Might want to get him a vehicle he sees others racing, and he might take up more of an interest...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

lotta $ with dual motors dual batts and 4wd systems. how is the gauge of interest from him? perhaps a compromise (and less $) with a slash to get em started? just .02

R
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Does your local track have a Slash class? While it's 2WD, it is perhaps one of the best forms of beginner racing, and the truck is nearly indestructible. Check out the Traxxas Slash, it's a good way to get started in the hobby.

BTW.. where is that track?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Does your local track have a Slash class? While it's 2WD, it is perhaps one of the best forms of beginner racing, and the truck is nearly indestructible. Check out the slash, it's a good way to get started in the hobby.
+1.

Forgot about the Slash....likely a spec class available....
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Do they race 4WD trucks at your track? Might want to get him a vehicle he sees others racing, and he might take up more of an interest...
Originally Posted by ultegrasti
lotta $ with dual motors dual batts and 4wd systems. how is the gauge of interest from him? perhaps a compromise (and less $) with a slash to get em started? just .02

R
^^^^Good info here^^^^^

That is what I was going to say.
cheap, easy to work on, easy to race, easy to sell when he wants something else or decides this hobby is not for him.
all of this based on a slash spec class being at your track of course.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Guys,

Thanks for the good info. The dominant class at the track is 8th scale nitro buggies but I feel that he is not ready for that just yet.

In my part of the world, racing happens only 3 to 4 times a year. So, mostly it's just a bunch of guys bashing at the track on weekends. So, one can run anything.

I bought a 2WD e firestorm but felt that it is too difficult for him. A 4wd will be a better starting point.

He like cars & has some interest in rc. He already has a TLT-1 & a Tamiya 16th scale frog that he runs around the house. He likes the Initial D TV series so I bought him a Yokomo complete with Mamba Max system painted to the AE86 scheme but he couldn't handle. So, didn't get much use out of that.

So, I'm hoping offroad 4WD will be easier. He's starting to get into console games like the Wii. Well, I bought racing games for him but I don't really want him to be fixated on this. I feel that outdoors together with me sharing similar interest & spending some time together on the weekend will better.

Anyway, good info guys. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Get him what he's interested in! Thats what I recommend.

My second recomendation is 2wd. I agree it is a bit harder to drive, but he will learn to be a better driver because of it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You should check out the HPI Brama

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10791/
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would definitely recommend the Slash. You probably would want to keep the stock motor and not go brushless in the beginning to get used to the truck...

Man, you kid is lucky, he has a father that keeps buying high-end cars for him!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
I would definitely recommend the Slash. You probably would want to keep the stock motor and not go brushless in the beginning to get used to the truck...

Man, you kid is lucky, he has a father that keeps buying high-end cars for him!

no kidding! i wouldnt want to be interested in anything if it worked like that! i'd have it all!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Well, thankfully, he doesn't know the power he has over me yet but I bet that's gonna change soon as he's growing up fast

I did consider buggies but I think a truck with bigger tires will be more forgiving. Will save me trips to the track to pick up his car later

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know its not 4wd but my son started out with a xxx-t when he was 7 he is now 8 1/2 and drives a CRT.5 and a 1/8th scale nitro buggy as well, If your son is well cordinated he is gonna get tired of that 4wd truck real soon and want someting faster. JMO

Erik
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You should look into a brushless conversion Jammin CRT.5, Speed would be up to whatever motor and battery combo you throw at it, and it is a tuff little truck. Check out Rc-monster for more info about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.