Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kits should come with spare's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wish the manufactures would include extras of the smallest parts, I always seem to lose those!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As a track owner, I see different skill levels come and go though the track. We have at any given time 2-3 "newbies" every year that take the place of people who get burned out, move go to college etc. Some have $$$ some don't. We do our best to spread the word of who has waht for sale so that newbie can get into this sport/hobby w/o breaking the bank. We also do our best to help out that noob w/parts should he/she break. That being said, we also have a shop at the track that supplies parts, but it's faily limited to just the breakables of the most popular models raced at the track.

Now, the post that was made at the top, (even though our track makes money on the spare parts) is not a bad idea at all. Almost all cars break the same parts (front end parts, arms, axle carriers, caster blocks etc) reguardless of wheather it's onroad or offroad. I say anything that helps the noob stay at the track and have a good time garantees their return the next week.

We also tell the noob that if he breaks something, buy 2 the next time. (depending on the part) we don't say it to make money, but if were out of that part...they are out of luck. Just makes good sense.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Here's a simple solution to the problem.

Customer: "I'd like to buy X Kit."

Shop Clerk: "Here you go, you might want to consider parts A, B, and C as spares."

I don't work at a shop but I would bet good money that this is almost NEVER the next words out of the customers mouth.

Customer: "If I needed those spare parts they would be included in the kit."

Every single time I've bought a kit I've bought spares with it. Everyone I know buys spares with their kit. Different people buy different spares.

The argument against this is very simple, it's very logical.

There is always a list of things needed to complete a kit.
- ESC
- Transmitter
- Receiver
- Servo
- Battery
- Motor
- Sometimes some tools to finish the kit

If you argue for spares to be in the kits, then you should be arguing for all of the above to be in a kit as well.

But wait you say, when I buy my next Losi kit I don't want to get that stupid Xceleron ESC. I don't want a JR Servo that is analog with plastic gears. I don't want a NIMH stick pack. And I already have a Transmitter. And I REALLY don't want to spend $600+ just getting a new kit.

The argument against this is keeping the kit just that, a kit. Let the customer decide what they need or don't need beyond a rolling chassis.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just bought a new RC8 kit and it came with the service pack of updated parts including updated front arms, steering plate, and hinge pin plates. Thats pretty damn cool if you ask me.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

the ONLY parts I could ask for to have multiples are the little washers, tiny lock nuts, and off size threadeed lock nuts that losi uses! damn them and their "low profile" lock nuts! in a 10-32 at that! why not 10-24 losi! cmon!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Here's a simple solution to the problem.

Customer: "I'd like to buy X Kit."

Shop Clerk: "Here you go, you might want to consider parts A, B, and C as spares."

I don't work at a shop but I would bet good money that this is almost NEVER the next words out of the customers mouth.

Customer: "If I needed those spare parts they would be included in the kit."

Every single time I've bought a kit I've bought spares with it. Everyone I know buys spares with their kit. Different people buy different spares.

The argument against this is very simple, it's very logical.

There is always a list of things needed to complete a kit.
- ESC
- Transmitter
- Receiver
- Servo
- Battery
- Motor
- Sometimes some tools to finish the kit

If you argue for spares to be in the kits, then you should be arguing for all of the above to be in a kit as well.

But wait you say, when I buy my next Losi kit I don't want to get that stupid Xceleron ESC. I don't want a JR Servo that is analog with plastic gears. I don't want a NIMH stick pack. And I already have a Transmitter. And I REALLY don't want to spend $600+ just getting a new kit.

The argument against this is keeping the kit just that, a kit. Let the customer decide what they need or don't need beyond a rolling chassis.
With this being a good point let me build on it if I may. Leave the "kits" just as they are and put the spares in the RTR kits for the noobs. There problem solved.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah, I can see the seasoned racer purchases extra parts. It IS the smart thing to do. I guess at our place we have more "budget" racers then we do guys who have a large pocket book to purchase items.

I can't say if every shop suggests "spare" parts or not. And to be perfectly honest, if I have a person that comes to the track, and doesn't have ANYTHING, I ask what class interests him and let him know who (if anybody) has something along his interest for sale used. The advantage of that, is getting somebody in the sport/hobby fore a reasonable amount and chances are, they are selling that car w/a few spares. Who doesn't like buying a used roller w/a few spares to start out? Now that person is happy cause he can "try out" the sport/hobby without dropping an arm and a leg plus his/her 1st born.

Has anybody here raced ANY car and not broken a front arm/carrier/caster block? I agree, a second car in the box is not necessary. But if you race, your going to break a front end part. ESPECIALLY if your new, and that's who's buying the rtr's. If I were a smart consumer, and had a choice of the same car w/ and w/o spares and for an extra few bucks...I'd get the spares. if I don't use them...they can always sell/loan/give it to the "next guy" that may need a part becuase they break. To me, it's what-ever it takes to keep the guys and gals racing.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DG Designs
I think thats because everyone here thinks like a racer, not a newbe. No worries thats why its called a discussion board.

+1... I remember when I first started this hobby and broke my car for the first time... It was just a pain to drag my dad into the hobby shop during the week in order to get the car ready to race for the weekend...

I would love for the Manufacturer to add a small package of part that is common breaking parts...

I don't even know why people are comparing this to the RTR situation which IMO has done more good than bad for the hobby...
Old 01-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

What is amazing is how when one person has a thought or opinion, people have the keyboard balls to post such dumb things. All the guy said was "hey, wouldn't it be nice...." Instead, he gets flamed. Brilliant.

As a fellow track owner with acyrier- I think the guy has a point. In a high-end racing kit, I'd pass. But on an RTR kit- definitely. Especially if it's one of these off-brands- say like a Duratrax. I've sat and watched and helped a kid that has one of these. I guess we can tell him to stop hitting walls... I mean, he's 10- he should know better, right???
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ToddFalkowski
I guess we can tell him to stop hitting walls... I mean, he's 10- he should know better, right???
Hell Im 32 and havent figured that one out yet....
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Didnt this thread start out talking RTR's? These are the people we need. Very few people are going to go out and drop $1000 on their first car by buying everything separate. Why do you think Losi is still building and realeasing RTR's at about a 5 to 1 ratio over race kits. If it wasnt working they would have stoped by now. Hopefully some of the rtr drivers will turn into racers.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Didnt this thread start out talking RTR's? These are the people we need. Very few people are going to go out and drop $1000 on their first car by buying everything separate. Why do you think Losi is still building and realeasing RTR's at about a 5 to 1 ratio over race kits. If it wasnt working they would have stoped by now. Hopefully some of the rtr drivers will turn into racers.

Thank you. +1
Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can see this. Just as soon as X company includes and extra tower or arm, there will be a thread on here about how X company knew the part was junk and thats why they included a spare. Then everyone would bitch about how they should have made it better to begin with.

I ran for Academy for a little while and one of the things that did impress me was that the GV2 did come with spare ball cups, every spur gear they make, all the caster options, optional axles. I think including things like arms and towers and such while it would be cool, its almost like saying "these parts suck, they'll break".
Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

So should they come with spare wing mounts Adam? lol J/K
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do think it may have a place in RTR's but you gotta keep the cost down on those anyway.

In a racer kit, it would almost shake my confidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.