Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Diffs with brushless >

Diffs with brushless

Diffs with brushless

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Diffs with brushless

What diff fluids are you running with the BL systems? I am thinking lighter fluids to absorb some of the instant shock of the high start torque? Is anyone having issues with ripping diffs apart for the same reason (torque)?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
What diff fluids are you running with the BL systems? I am thinking lighter fluids to absorb some of the instant shock of the high start torque? Is anyone having issues with ripping diffs apart for the same reason (torque)?
I will assume you are running a 1/8th buggy since I don't know of too many 1/10th scale buggies that have fluid filled diffs. I run 5k-7k-3k in my RC8 (Front-Middle-Rear). I have the center diff shimmed according to RCPD's instructions and so far I haven't had any trouble with diff blowouts
Old 12-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Yes ,8th scale mbx6. What are the rcpd innstructions? Are they rc8 specific?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thopper
Yes ,8th scale mbx6. What are the rcpd innstructions? Are they rc8 specific?
They are special for the RC8 using a Kyosho plastic spur gear. You could apply the principle to other cars if you feel that the diff has a lot of slop on the spider gears. Bascially it adds additional shimming washers to the spider gear assembly to get a tighter mesh. This has to be done on the RC8 with the kyosho spur because of physical differences between the kyosho spur and the AE spur. You could just try adding shims to different areas and see what happens to the action of the diff. If you add shims and it doesn't bind up, the diff probably needed them. If instead you add shims and the diff gets grindy or tends to bind then it probably didn't need them.