Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANOTHER lipo thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default ANOTHER lipo thread...

i know i know, another one right? well i need to figure out what to buy and be legal for racing. was going to look at the yeah racing but they are not legal, right? i have a bid on ebay for a lipo but it will probably be beat. i dont want to spend a fortune on batteries my first go.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Start here, and remember, you get what you pay for

http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php
Old 12-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bump
i know i know, another one right? well i need to figure out what to buy and be legal for racing. was going to look at the yeah racing but they are not legal, right? i have a bid on ebay for a lipo but it will probably be beat. i dont want to spend a fortune on batteries my first go.
Well the yeah racing 3200 is the same as the Harris RC 3200 and if the sticker accidentally fell off it is a Harris pack ain't it?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Our SMC 4100mAh 24C packs sell for $65 and or 5200mAh 24C packs sell for $85. Both perform really well & are ROAR approved. I've heard the Yeah racing packs are pretty good also. I'm just not sure how they hold up long term. Quite a few racers use them @ Bumps and Jumps in Pa and seem to have really good luck with them. They are a bit cheaper than our packs, and as abailey21 posted, you get what you pay for. Get as much info on the brand your interested in and also see what the top guys in your area use.

Bryan
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive been looking into lipo batteries and if I do get one it will prob be a SMC. That 5200 sounds sexy!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Clamber,

The 5200 is a very good choice for a first Lipo. Plenty of power, runtime, very reliable and a very reasonable price. Lipo's are by no means cheap, but they are cheaper long term as you can literally run just 1 pack the entire day, either for bashing or racing. The 5200 will bring you plenty of joy for that new E-Firestorm!!!

Bryan
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Lipos are cheap. Remember, you only need one pack per car and it will outlast nimh (if it's good quality) by 10X. That's the best deal in the whole hobby! I have two Orion Platinum 4800 packs that are over 2 seasons old and still provide plenty of power. Also keep in mind that while the Yeah Racing pack looks exactly like someone else's it doesn't mean that the cells inside are the same. These guys will all use the same shell mold to avoid higher molding costs so they're buying shells from one guy and cells from another. You don't ever get to know who the cell maker is.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone from SMC or anyone for that matter with the correct test equipment tested the different packs back to back. I have read some of the other threads by SMC and they seem to have the correct equipment to do such a test. That would put this entire thing to bed in one stroke. You could even do long term testing X# of cycles per week to duplicate a normal users racing or bashing time to test the packs life span. I would think if you would post those results it would do nothing but sell more of your packs if the hard data showed they where that much better....

But it most likely would not be worth doing, if your packs came out much better people would say you doctored the data, if they are the same you would be reluctant to do the tests.

I have 1 SMC pack, 1 Reedy pack and 2YR packs, on the track I can not tell the difference between any of them...I have even had my 12yr old put the batt in the car and not tell me just to try to be fair between the packs, by far an informal test at best. What pack will last the longest I have only been back racing for about a month now so they are all very new....time will tell.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee
Has anyone from SMC or anyone for that matter with the correct test equipment tested the different packs back to back. I have read some of the other threads by SMC and they seem to have the correct equipment to do such a test. That would put this entire thing to bed in one stroke. You could even do long term testing X# of cycles per week to duplicate a normal users racing or bashing time to test the packs life span. I would think if you would post those results it would do nothing but sell more of your packs if the hard data showed they where that much better....

But it most likely would not be worth doing, if your packs came out much better people would say you doctored the data, if they are the same you would be reluctant to do the tests.

I have 1 SMC pack, 1 Reedy pack and 2YR packs, on the track I can not tell the difference between any of them...I have even had my 12yr old put the batt in the car and not tell me just to try to be fair between the packs, by far an informal test at best. What pack will last the longest I have only been back racing for about a month now so they are all very new....time will tell.
SMC has built there name and reputation already, they have nothing to prove against a YR pack. That would be a waste of time and money.

Plus you can buy smc's from your LHS !!!!

I also use orion 3600's and 4800's but the smc's have so much rip !! I love them. Especially the saddles.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee

Funny you ask
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...shoot-out.html

Last edited by Jube; 12-18-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
SMC has built there name and reputation already, they have nothing to prove against a YR pack. That would be a waste of time and money.
No it would not be, The argument is that the more expensive packs give you so much more vs the "budget" packs, but that has NEVER been proven. People can buy just the name, because the product has a name that has a great reputation does not mean that every product they sell is head and sholders better then everyone else.

If their product is much better then people that where on the fence as to what pack to buy might be pushed to purchace the more expensive pack if the hard numbers prove it is that much better....But to date no one has put hard numbers out there, at least that I can find. So the result is all speculation, and people running around screaming about cheap HK junk and quality this or that...sorry there is no hard proof that one is better then the other, that the extra cost is justified.

It is very simple to justify that extra cost and gain more customers looking for that extra X% out of their batteries. Find someone to do some testing on the packs. Then put that data out for public review, until then you will have people like me.

I bought 1 reedy pack...I knew the name from years gone by.
I bought 1 SMC pack...everyone says they are great
I bought 2 YR packs (cheap)....what the heck, they where cheap

Now that I have lipo packs from three different sources I can tell you that (I) see no difference between the packs at a use point of one month.

In field reports like that are not hard data, but they do fuel the on going debate as to if the "name brand" packs are worth the extra $$$ you pay for them.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jube
That would be a start...but I trust the results by a magazine less then I would trust the results by a company like SMC. The best is to have an independent source do the testing and post the results....all of this will never happen.

It is all about the bottom $$$ and I doubt that a major supplier in ad revenue to a magazine would have their product talked down in a review like suggested in that thread.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Dont just look at the title and assume, you need to read the thread if you think you're the only one with that idea...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Linky no worky. At least for me.

I'll throw a little fuel on the fire. It depends a little on what kind of company you want to support. I don't know much about any of these, but what would you rather support? A company that is trying to develop new products that customers want and makes the hobby better. Or a company that copies other companies ideas and products sells them for less and does nothing to support the hobby but muddy the waters for the true rc companies.

Now I am not saying any company discussed here is either of those types, I'm just saying your money is a vote for one type or the other.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...shoot-out.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.