Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric? >

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much R&D will the big names put into 1/8 electric?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Revo's right. I bought myself the RTR of Caster recently cause it's priced right so I can give 1/8 electric a try.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ya know, this is a really good question to ask, but I think it truely misses the point. Those of us that already have a converted chassis aren't the ones needed to be addressed for a new version as we are already used to driving the misweighted, misplaced, clunky, nitro-smelling converted chassis.

I believe as long as folks are willing to convert the existing chassis there will not be a real reason for the manufacturers to invest in a new electric combination.

Why? They already sold us the nitro, and then, the electric conversion!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

and that is why we are gaining popularity.....

we have a few radical ideas on the drawing board for a true electric racer, but there is no way we will even consider doing it until another major manufacturer threatens to do it. I just do not see the point because it will create a whole new list of problems.

It is too light.
It is not as durable.
It isn't fair.
It doesn't look like an 1/8 scale.....

etc....

I like our products exactly how they are. balance, similar weight, 1/8 scale familiarity for 1/8 scale racers, 1/8 scale durability, lots of crossover parts.....
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I dont think it will be long...
Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 on the interesting question. As an engineer that works in R&D in an entirely differently industry I have a couple questions to ask . . .

1. What problem are the manufacturer's solving by redesigning a ground up 1/8th scale electric?

2. Who are you designing this "transformation" for--the current users or those to come down the road?

3. What do your potential customers say? How did you gather the data and is it accurate enough to make you want to do something different?

If there is no problem to solve--meaning if there is not any real need to change the current 1/8th platform then why do it? A little balancing and some experiments with power delivery from a "sliperrential" will probably do.

Advancements in technology we you find, in my mind, will be in the motors, batteries and ESC's we use. Maybe there might be some gear stuff but will be nothing we have not seen already . . .
Old 12-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Completely designing a car from the ground up 100% is SUPER expensive. If you've ever priced out the cost on a single injection mold you'd know....LOL

In order to use the available 1/8th suspension, tires, etc from the 1/8th nitro cars/trucks the electric conversions need to remain similar in size and weight. Most of the newer 1/8th nitro cars are close to ROAR minimum weight (7 lbs 0.9 oz's or 3200 grams). If you convert any of these cars to electric they are nearly the same weight and pretty well balanced when using a pack that yields 15 minutes or less of run time.

Realistically the only thing they need to do is ditch the nitro components we don't need in the kits. Then make a second chassis plate that only has the holes needed for 1/8th electric. This would not cost much as the chassis shape and kick up would remain the same. The only difference is a couple of the holes would be punched out differently. If the Mfg designs the kit in a way that it is heavier, then they just need to include their heavier "option" springs so you don't have an under-sprung car or need to go out and buy a set of springs.

I for one don't want to see an 1/8th electric version from any Mfg cost any more than its nitro version. I also agree that we do NOT need battery swaps. This is electric racing, not nitro. Pitting and warm up laps do not exist (they're called practice laps in electric....LOL ).
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

If you rely on external compagny to build your mould, sure it will be extremly expensive. But when you do something in house the cost isn't shared the same way, it wil cost labor/time and material for the mould (alloy used for mould and cutting tools). I've worked in compagny doing molding part for automobile, they do have sector that do repair and create new mould all day long.
I guess some big brand do have there tools departement. I think

Tamiya (they pump out too much scale stuff and chassi design, it wouldn't financial viable to out-source every mould)
Xray (confirmed on Xray website) and
maybe taiwanese brand (Asso/TT), Hobao ?

Things that could be improve, is mostly battery centering, We need a car the allow to place standars sized lipo (the square bricks sold everywhere) to sit in the middle of the chassis while offering the possibility to move it forward or backward

Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badassrevo
You can get the Caster RTR for $550 right now. all you need is batteries and charger.
http://www.casterracingusa.com/produ...1&cat=1&page=1
And it's made to accept all of the 1/10th size batteries you allready own.
That looks like a good deal.

It's a 1/8th equivalent of a 1/10 scale 4WD and budget ESC\Motor Combo at the same price

Maybe if they offered it at 450$ minus the radio system I'd get one.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
That looks like a good deal.

It's a 1/8th equivalent of a 1/10 scale 4WD and budget ESC\Motor Combo at the same price

Maybe if they offered it at 450$ minus the radio system I'd get one.
that's pretty much what I was thinking.I need another RTR radio set-up laying around doing nothing like I need a hole in the head.An ARR version would be nice. Something with all the RTR electronics,just no radio /receiver would be nice on the caster buggy.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
that's pretty much what I was thinking.I need another RTR radio set-up laying around doing nothing like I need a hole in the head.An ARR version would be nice. Something with all the RTR electronics,just no radio /receiver would be nice on the caster buggy.
You would be lucky to get 40$ for it on eBay as well.....it's like the Ofna no name ones.....
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can get the sport roller for $300 and get a MMM combo for $279 and be ready to go!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badassrevo
You can get the sport roller for $300 and get a MMM combo for $279 and be ready to go!
that's 579. We were just saying it would be nice to get one ARR with everything but the radio that you cant even give away anymore.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
that's 579. We were just saying it would be nice to get one ARR with everything but the radio that you cant even give away anymore.
You can give me the radio. Thanks....
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Are you guys serious? I can make a rtr without the radio...... We have the parts in stock. I will see what we can get it down to price wise......

It would be a sport and a separate motor and a separate hobbywing esc....

$450 will be tough, but I will see what the price would be at retail and go from there.

Our site prices are slightly inflated to protect dealers. I will talk to holeshot and modhobby and see if they can pull it off.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Maybe it's time to do some 1/8th scale 2wd electric racing! Now that would be a fun class. Running on the big 1/8 tracks with the simplicity of electric and 2WD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.