Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion Vortex Brushless 2008 Race Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Adept

Default Team Orion Vortex Brushless 2008 Race Motor

Does anybody know what a good ESC combination will be with this particular motor. I tried it with my Mamba Max, but no such luck since it was stuttering real bad. Orion claims that this motor will work with today's leading sensorless and sensored brushless ESC's. So much for that. I am ready to drop this motor into my new Yokomo B Max, but need confirmation on which ESC will work best. Thanks in advance guy's.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedKills25
Does anybody know what a good ESC combination will be with this particular motor. I tried it with my Mamba Max, but no such luck since it was stuttering real bad. Orion claims that this motor will work with today's leading sensorless and sensored brushless ESC's. So much for that. I am ready to drop this motor into my new Yokomo B Max, but need confirmation on which ESC will work best. Thanks in advance guy's.
I am not sure if hobby shops have the New Orion ESC in yet but it should be on the way....But i ran the new Team Orion Vortex Race Spec ESC last night and was very impressed...very small and does not need a fan or heat sink and also has these amazing soldering tabs on the ESC that make hooking up wires a charm also many more features....check it out here >http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Vo...rtex+Race+Spec <
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

lrp sphere
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies guys. Both ESC's that you two mentioned are top of the line which means they are gonna go for about $175. to $200. If im not mistaken the new Orion ESC is just a re badged Ko Propo?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SpeedKills25
Thanks for the replies guys. Both ESC's that you two mentioned are top of the line which means they are gonna go for about $175. to $200. If im not mistaken the new Orion ESC is just a re badged Ko Propo?
I believe Ko has alot do with it yes...but i am not sure if ko has theres out yet or not....either way it very very well made and works great.....couldnt ask for anything more
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

The Orion ESC's are currently available for hobby shops to order from distributors. I ran mine last night and they are an excellent choice and guaranteed to work with the Orion Vortex 2008 motors.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have one and use the sphere comp it feels great but its a dog compaird to the novak

-1 orion

+1 orion u can change sensor wire.

Besides that go for the lrp
Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gweed
i have one and use the sphere comp it feels great but its a dog compaird to the novak

-1 orion

+1 orion u can change sensor wire.

Besides that go for the lrp

That's only the 10.5 though gweed.

actually the 7.5 you gave me for the 2008 pa state champs was a bag of doodie too.

Last edited by Jason Pelletier; 12-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You can run an LRP, GTB (Novak), Tekin, with that motor as well. The Orion should be good as well.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 2990kv motor shuttering

I have the same motor and it does the shuttering at part throttle as soon as it gets going it's only from a dead stop. does anyone know what that means as I'm just getting back into the hobby and these brushless setups are driving me crazy.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by What up?
You can run an LRP, GTB (Novak), Tekin, with that motor as well. The Orion should be good as well.
Thanks for the advice guys. Which ESC would you recommend out of all the ones that you listed???
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anybody know what a good ESC combination will be with this particular motor. I tried it with my Mamba Max, but no such luck since it was stuttering real bad. Orion claims that this motor will work with today's leading sensorless and sensored brushless ESC's. So much for that.
I am using a MM with mine and I am surprised at how smooth it is. Do you have the latest firmware on the ESC? I'm not calling it a optimal setup by any means (the ESC is huge.) but for the time being it actually is working really well with the 10.5.

Only cogging I have is at a stop and I move just out of the deadband, it will cog forward a little bit...but once you give it real input it spools right along without issue.

I still think it would be better with a sensored ESC...I like the look of the Orion one myself. I have used LRP's and they work really well too, better than the GTB.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just go with the sphere comp its great.