Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ease of conversion (RC8 or 8ight)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Ease of conversion (RC8 or 8ight)

In the short term and long term which 1/8 scale purpose built nitro buggy makes a better e-buggy?

I am looking at a factory team RC8 or an 8ight (not 2.0) roller. Both have kits available for conversion, but is there one that takes to being converted better? Or has better kits? Or better support in the long run?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

I'm going to those the 8ight-T in the mix as well, since you can get a new roller for $275....
Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's tough to say. This is all new territory. Do you have any experience with either car? I ask because it more than likely just comes down to personal preference. I chose the 8ight because I already had one, I am familiar with it and its handling characteristics. A buddy of mine has the RC8(still nitro, but after driving my car NOT FOR LONG!) It handles very well, and is a little easier to drive right now. I came from On road, so I wanted something as nimble as the 8ight. Some people prefer the easier to drive RC8. So like I said, it more than likely comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
That's tough to say. This is all new territory. Do you have any experience with either car? I ask because it more than likely just comes down to personal preference. I chose the 8ight because I already had one, I am familiar with it and its handling characteristics. A buddy of mine has the RC8(still nitro, but after driving my car NOT FOR LONG!) It handles very well, and is a little easier to drive right now. I came from On road, so I wanted something as nimble as the 8ight. Some people prefer the easier to drive RC8. So like I said, it more than likely comes down to personal preference.
Thanks for the feedback.... I don't have experience with either from a driving standpoint, but I have a lot more experience with Team AE products. I do like them. No one locally is running a converted RC8, but there are a few e-8's running around. My dilemma is this, I can buy a used once RC8 factory team kit w/ big bore shocks for $250, or a Losi 8ight T or buggy for $275 new. So really it comes down to which one makes a better platform for conversion.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

The losi allows the electric components to fit better then any other buggy out there...that being said I converted a MBX6. The Losi offset rear diff allows the speed controller to fit on the chassis and there battery box is great (and big).
If you shop the losi 1.0 race roller can be bought for approx 300.00 as well as the losi rr T. NIB.

I can buy a Losi T RR for 250.00 nib ,then sell off the fuel tank,linkages etc and have only 200.00 or so into it.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's out of stock at A-main. Where else can they be had for that price?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 8ight has the proper balance right out of the box. Just add a motor plate and a battery tray and you are done. I personally like the Losi/RC-Monster/RCPD style of conversion where the motor is directly tied to the center bulkhead and is to the right of the spur gear. The losi conversion is a little limiting on motors that can be used due to the bearing boss on some motors. The RC-Monster parts (motor plate and battery tray) are just about the most universal since you can order a custom sized battery tray and the motor plate fits just about any motor. The losi conversion is ok, but the battery tray is weak. The motor mount is kind of neat since you don't have to loosen the motor screws to move the motor. It is a rather large chunk of aluminum so it probably weighs more than the RC-monster. RCPD makes descent stuff, but the battery tray probably weighs a ton (if it is like the RC8 battery tray). The neat part about the RCPD conversion is that it replaces the whole center bulkhead assembly and also provides an ESC mount on top.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
It's out of stock at A-main. Where else can they be had for that price?
Modhobby.com has some I believe.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
The 8ight has the proper balance right out of the box. Just add a motor plate and a battery tray and you are done. I personally like the Losi/RC-Monster/RCPD style of conversion where the motor is directly tied to the center bulkhead and is to the right of the spur gear. The losi conversion is a little limiting on motors that can be used due to the bearing boss on some motors. The RC-Monster parts (motor plate and battery tray) are just about the most universal since you can order a custom sized battery tray and the motor plate fits just about any motor. The losi conversion is ok, but the battery tray is weak. The motor mount is kind of neat since you don't have to loosen the motor screws to move the motor. It is a rather large chunk of aluminum so it probably weighs more than the RC-monster. RCPD makes descent stuff, but the battery tray probably weighs a ton (if it is like the RC8 battery tray). The neat part about the RCPD conversion is that it replaces the whole center bulkhead assembly and also provides an ESC mount on top.
Do you know if the Neu motors have issues w/ the Losi kit? I'd like to run a Mamba Monster and a Neu setup. The 8ight might be the way to go.... again just not sure how it stacks up against an FT RC8... now if we were talking 2.0 it wouldn't be questioned at all.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
In the short term and long term which 1/8 scale purpose built nitro buggy makes a better e-buggy?

I am looking at a factory team RC8 or an 8ight (not 2.0) roller. Both have kits available for conversion, but is there one that takes to being converted better? Or has better kits? Or better support in the long run?
I have found most people who have been doing this for awhile tend to use a combination of kits to fit their needs. All of the kits on the market are great, but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I ran an e-rc8 for the past year and loved the car. The biggest weakness with the rc8 is that the driveline is right down the center as opposed to an offset center diff like the Losi. Where this becomes a problem is that with the rc8, your battery is further from the center of the chassis which can affect handling as the car is out of balance on the left side due to the weight of the battery.

The Losi's offset center diff makes it almost perfectly balanced because the battery is very close to the center of the car. All you have to do is choose rcm, rcpd, or losi for the kit to convert the car.

Rc-monster just released a new chassis for the rc8 that solves the balance problem, so I would highyl recommend looking into it if you choose to go with the rc8. The Tekno RC kit also addressed this issue with their conversion as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I have found most people who have been doing this for awhile tend to use a combination of kits to fit their needs. All of the kits on the market are great, but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

I ran an e-rc8 for the past year and loved the car. The biggest weakness with the rc8 is that the driveline is right down the center as opposed to an offset center diff like the Losi. Where this becomes a problem is that with the rc8, your battery is further from the center of the chassis which can affect handling as the car is out of balance on the left side due to the weight of the battery.

The Losi's offset center diff makes it almost perfectly balanced because the battery is very close to the center of the car. All you have to do is choose rcm, rcpd, or losi for the kit to convert the car.

Rc-monster just released a new chassis for the rc8 that solves the balance problem, so I would highyl recommend looking into it if you choose to go with the rc8. The Tekno RC kit also addressed this issue with their conversion as well.
Thanks! So it sounds like out of the box the Losi is the way to go for a conversion. The RC8 will work with a more expensive conversion kit. Now I just have to decide which is better for me. I've had a losi since my JRX2 back when I was in middle school!

I'm still undecided.... a slightly used FT RC8 or a new 8ight roller for an e-conversion.... still a tough question that I need to answer in the next hour or so!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Do you know if the Neu motors have issues w/ the Losi kit? I'd like to run a Mamba Monster and a Neu setup. The 8ight might be the way to go.... again just not sure how it stacks up against an FT RC8... now if we were talking 2.0 it wouldn't be questioned at all.
I am not sure about the Neu motors since I don't own any. I believe they have a flat face so they should work.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
I am not sure about the Neu motors since I don't own any. I believe they have a flat face so they should work.
Thanks... Do you know if the 8ight-T is the same chassis layout as the 8ight? If so, it should take all the 8ight conversion gear right?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks... Do you know if the 8ight-T is the same chassis layout as the 8ight? If so, it should take all the 8ight conversion gear right?
The 8T has the same layout, just the chassis is longer in overall length. This would only affect conversions like the RCPD where the dirt guard is built into the battery tray. They claim their standard tray conversion will fit both.

I misspoke about the RCPD conversion for the 8ight, it doesn't replace the whole center bulkhead, just the back piece. On the RC8, both are replaced.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

chassis layouts are identical. the radio trays bolt right up. chassis is just a little longer.

as far as deciding on a used buggy or a new buggy for almost the same $$$$, go with the new kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.