Wiki Posts
Search

Ease of conversion (RC8 or 8ight)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shurcooL
Well, as others have said, the length increase is minimal, so I think it's still up to the driver and how he handles it. But the other improvements are nice.

Anyway, I just wanted to put a 2.0 together from a kit, but I can't do that until one is avaliable. When/if it is, I'll consider getting it.

I kinda liked the original 8ight 1.0 body, non e- version. The e-8ight body seemed to make the buggy too tall and fat. I thought there was enough space for the battery with the nitro 1.0 body anyway. But I guess the nitro 2.0 body is too low for an electric convo.
I'm sure Losi would rather everyone spend the extra $300 on the e-8ight roller anyways. Seems crazy to me, the price they want for that thing. Not sure of the chassis layout, but it looks to me a lot like a standard 8.2....
Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

I don't get how they expect to sell that thing when it's based on the older 1.0 chassis. But I'd still rather prefer to use my own electronics/choice of kit (although theirs isn't too bad it seems).

Yeah, I guess I've been totally brainwashed into wanting nothing but the absolute best (and newest).
Old 12-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shurcooL

Yeah, I guess I've been totally brainwashed into wanting nothing but the absolute best (and newest).
I am usually that way too... but I'm learning with RC that it doesn't matter as much. These companies are full of marketing genius, if they build it, people will buy it. I see this in the bike racing world too, people are convinced they need lighter, faster, stronger equipment at a premium price. It's all mental, buy something lower cost, if you find you're operating that equipment at 100% of it's capacity and it's hindering your performance then it's time to move on. Odds are most of us will never see that threshold.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

you need to get the RC-monster rc8 conversion with his new chassis, it moves the center diff over for perfect balance, comes with, new chassis, motor mount, servotray, battery tray, mudguards, and a RC-M pinion (the best avaible bar none).

Ive been testing his prototype rc8t conversion with chassis for a month or so now (the one he had at Ihobby) and its an amazing setup, plus there are NO cutouts on the bottom so everything stays really clean and sealed up from dirt, and its all hardanodized black so its looks factory. This is the best setup outthere for your rc8, and its only $130, you cant beat that.

and if your ready you can order your motor, esc, and battery from him also and get a great deal if youll look in the forums for his holiday special codes you can get up to 12% off which is ALOT when you start adding it all up.

You wont be dissapointed Mike makes the best products, has great service, and FAST shipping.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rootar
you need to get the RC-monster rc8 conversion with his new chassis, it moves the center diff over for perfect balance, comes with, new chassis, motor mount, servotray, battery tray, mudguards, and a RC-M pinion (the best avaible bar none).

Ive been testing his prototype rc8t conversion with chassis for a month or so now (the one he had at Ihobby) and its an amazing setup, plus there are NO cutouts on the bottom so everything stays really clean and sealed up from dirt, and its all hardanodized black so its looks factory. This is the best setup outthere for your rc8, and its only $130, you cant beat that.

and if your ready you can order your motor, esc, and battery from him also and get a great deal if youll look in the forums for his holiday special codes you can get up to 12% off which is ALOT when you start adding it all up.

You wont be dissapointed Mike makes the best products, has great service, and FAST shipping.
Thanks! I am torn between a conversion kit that replaces the chassis. At first I wasn't even considering it, but now I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea. Especially if I want to run high capacity 5-6S batteries. The Team AE and RC Product Design kit use the OEM chassis, and the Tekno and Monster use a new chassis. For me, since I don't race (yet) it's not critical to have perfect balance, I just want a kick ass 1/8 scale brushless. More to come.....

Hopefully some others will chime on the OEM chassis vs a chassis replacement debate.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have owned both cars and still currently own the Losi. I set up both cars pretty close to the same, and I am faster with the Losi. The RC8 was a bit more consistent when the track conditions change whereas the Losi is more on the edge. If you can drive the Losi, you will be faster with it.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i would suggest agianist the teckno verison, the center diff mount setup is better all around, no clutches no long shank pinions, and more consistant gear mesh, all the clutches do is cause more problems and limit acceleration, pinion to diff is much better and ALOT more effiecent than a clutch, but using the long shank pinions with the teckno setup is HORRIBLE on your front endbell bearings of your motor, Go with the RCM its has no downfalls plus its not but a little more expensive then just a stock chassis conversion and you could sell the stock used parts (or new) to recoup the little extra mikes coversion costs.......... its the best hands down.