Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Closed Cell Foam Tuning >

Closed Cell Foam Tuning

Closed Cell Foam Tuning

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Closed Cell Foam Tuning

I'm just getting back into dirt after running carpet for the last couple years . I talked to the local races about what they do to their foams to get the best traction and they have been using this guide.

https://blog.jconcepts.net/2019/08/jconcepts-track-tire-guide-will-brintons-hobbyplex-tire-guide/ ]Hobbyplex Tire Guide[/url]

Now my tires seem to work good but the moisture level changes often on this track so tread height varies depending on this and I know the flatter the foam the larger the contact patch the better the grip . But at what point is the foam too soft and what handling characteristics would you notice that would you tell you this?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrib21
I'm just getting back into dirt after running carpet for the last couple years . I talked to the local races about what they do to their foams to get the best traction and they have been using this guide.

https://blog.jconcepts.net/2019/08/jconcepts-track-tire-guide-will-brintons-hobbyplex-tire-guide/ ]Hobbyplex Tire Guide

Now my tires seem to work good but the moisture level changes often on this track so tread height varies depending on this and I know the flatter the foam the larger the contact patch the better the grip . But at what point is the foam too soft and what handling characteristics would you notice that would you tell you this?
They are too soft once there is an air gap between the foam and the tire due to the tire swelling. Inconsistent handling occurs and although the car seems to have more traction, the laptimes start to suffer
Old 05-18-2021, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

To add to Shawn's point, that gap may not be apparent without load, sometimes the rubber will fold over and you might hear a "snapping" sound on hard acceleration if grip is high... sometimes this can generate a ton of grip with forward bite but the car might get squirrelly in the chicanes and or traction roll.

I have found that punching a single row of holes on each rib down the center works best for me, but I only punch the rear inserts and leave the front inserts alone. If I needed more steering, then I would punch the inserts up front. If I needed more rear grip then I'd punch more holes, but I prefer to punch them closer together along the centerline unlike the way Will Brinton punched his, but his example combines both punching and V-cut together which I've never done personally... I also race only 1/8 classes lately, and there tends to be a far wider tuning range with lighter 1/10 cars where foam density isn't as sensitive as they are with heavier 1/8 cars.