Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread >

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If its consistent at 20 meters something is going on. I'd suggest trying a different servo and possibly borrowing another transmitter.

Odd that it's only this car though.

Are you using mechanical brake(s) with seperate servo?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i do run mech brakes with the electro clutch but i just ordered some pinon to run direct drive. and i have relocated the rx to front front shock tower as i thought it may have been interferance but it still dropped out. i dont run a cap, what is the advantage of this? i will try running a sep battery for the rx and see if this help the situation.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Team Tekin

Some servos are extremely power hungry and can often cause a brown out to the receiver. Adding a cap will help prevent this issue. A brown out will recover pretty quickly and may be your issue.

Spektrum makes one that's ready to plug into any open channel in the receiver.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Randy, is there perhaps a video on how to solder Tekin motor cables ?

I have seen and appreciated the one for soldering the ESC cables but I can't seem to find the one relative to motor cables soldering.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Team Tekin

No I've never made one for that. Motor cables are pretty basic in regards to soldering. You can use my flattening trick on them as well to get good coverage. Pre-tinning the tabs is a must also.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Need some advice. I just started running electric this winter. I'm a die hard nitro guy finding this electric thing is pretty cool as well. So I have decided to put together an electric MBX-6. I will be using the Tekno kit no special reason I just like the clean set up and options and using Hitec HV servos.

In my 1/10th's (ZX5-FS and RT5) I am running a GTB in one and MMP in the other. No problems or issues with them however it's a smaller scale. As well I'm not a this brand vs. this brand guy I just care if it works for me. After reading through some of this thread it's obvious 1/8th is much more abusive and finicky. I would like to get it as close to right the first time out. I have narrowed it down to Tekin. Things I need to know are as follows.

Which motor, pinion and spur I'm not looking to do wheelies down the straight. Been there done that excessive power equals slow run times. I'm looking for power and speed like my plus4 (or just a touch more) for lack of a better example.

Do I need to run different diff fluid than normal?

Can I adjust the BEC to take advantage of the HV capacity of my servos. Or do HV servos drain excessive power from the Lipo.

Electric brake vs. Mechanical brake or other braking and drive options.

4S, 5S, or 6S Advantages and Disadvantages? Would like to be able to complete a 15 min main and beyond without even thinking about it.

Am I missing something important that I failed to ask about. I'm totally new to electric I've only been running the 10th's for about 6 weeks.

I know most of the answers are probably already posted in this thread some where. The problem is this thread is 700 pages and I plan on building this buggy in the next 2 weeks.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

to vladconnery- Things I need to know are as follows.

Which motor, pinion and spur I'm not looking to do wheelies down the straight. Been there done that excessive power equals slow run times. I'm looking for power and speed like my plus4 (or just a touch more) for lack of a better example.

see below for a note about battery's then use this http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html to calculate speeds and ratios etc..you are looking for around 28,000-31,000 rpm for your motorkv x batteryvolts and around 40mph-ish top speed for racing.this is a bit personal as well but is a good startpoint.

Do I need to run different diff fluid than normal?

varies from driver to driver but general consensus seems to be same or just a bit heavier than nitro.

Can I adjust the BEC to take advantage of the HV capacity of my servos. Or do HV servos drain excessive power from the Lipo.

No and no really..bec is fixed at 6v 3A and hv servo's don't drain any more power they just won't run quite as fast or powerful at 6v as they do at 7.4v

Electric brake vs. Mechanical brake or other braking and drive options.

very personal..I come from nitro and don't find the motor brakes a problem..nor the lack of brake bias..some nitro converts say they simply cannot get the same lap times without brake bias.I think better set up and driving skills can have the same effect.

4S, 5S, or 6S Advantages and Disadvantages? Would like to be able to complete a 15 min main and beyond without even thinking about it.

This is actually your first decision..choose your voltage first and then match the motor kv to the battery..4S is the standard if you want to race ROAR or other sanctioned events. 5S or 6S are slightly more efficient with lower amp draws but you gain little in weight or runtime,some but not much.15 minute mains should be do-able on any voltage..remember 4S/5000 = 5S/4000 = 6S/3300 ..check what your local track allows would be the best thing..

Am I missing something important that I failed to ask about. I'm totally new to electric I've only been running the 10th's for about 6 weeks.

I know most of the answers are probably already posted in this thread some where. The problem is this thread is 700 pages and I plan on building this buggy in the next 2 weeks
Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Team Tekin

Gizmatron is spot on other than the BEC Spec listed. The Rx8 has a 6v 5 amp bec.

He's 100% right, you need to figure out your battery power before you choose the motor to use.

I can say that we sent Mugen the 2050 and 1900 motors to test the car with. Most of their team drivers that I work with all use the 1900 or 2050 also.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was just picking my kids up from school when I thought..hmmmm I think i put 3A not 5A on my last post.nice to see all those months I spent reading a little over 2000 pages of electric forums paid off .thanks for the correction anyway Randy and a question for you..

I just bought a 1900 motor off a guy on here and he pretty much threw in an RX8 that needs fixing..says it did 3 race meets then just died mid race..no lights on ESC at all but steering servo works.It's the black heatsink and 4 hole case..Obviously long out of warranty..and no receipt or anything..whats the procedure? just get an RMA and send it in? I'm also thinking that if it's true the ESC will be returned with 120 day warranty after being fixed I should wait to send it in until close to the start of next years season so the warranty doesn't expire again while it's sat on the side waiting for the snow to melt over the winter.Or am I wrong in thinking it's warrantied again after repair?if it is do I get a receipt when it's returned so I have something to prove the date of repair etc.It'll only be my backup anyway.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just got my RX8/1900 combo on Friday and installed in a used 8ight. Ran great first couple days then yesterday the car just stopped dead. thought that pinions came loose, but upon inspections the end bell was off. Disassembled motor and seems to be gone. Did e-mail to get RMA.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-img_0058.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Synergy
Just got my RX8/1900 combo on Friday and installed in a used 8ight. Ran great first couple days then yesterday the car just stopped dead. thought that pinions came loose, but upon inspections the end bell was off. Disassembled motor and seems to be gone. Did e-mail to get RMA.
You have been unlucky but you are lucky in the same time cause Tekin assistance is simply classy and brilliant. I had just tested it with the euopean RcDisco Tekin distributor and they are professional, quick and brilliant when taking care about warranty.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default RX8 and timing advance

I just upgraded my tekin to 212 and I was curious why the RX8 does not have the same timing & boost capabilites as the RS and RS Pro. It would be nice to have the same abilites with the RX8.

Also, I noticed in the timing settings that it only had a slider from 0 - 100 for timing and an rpm range. This just does not seem correct, am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Team Tekin

Yeah if you send in the Rx8 for warranty the warranty will be renewed from the repair/replacement date. $40 if it's repairable, $94 if it's not.

The motor came apart or just the rotor? I can't tell by the picture.

The Rx8 is only allowed to run Dual mode, which is why you only see "timing advance." The Rx8 does have the ability to slide timing using the rpm settings just like the RS. It simply doesn't have turbo.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Yeah if you send in the Rx8 for warranty the warranty will be renewed from the repair/replacement date. $40 if it's repairable, $94 if it's not.

The motor came apart or just the rotor? I can't tell by the picture.

The Rx8 is only allowed to run Dual mode, which is why you only see "timing advance." The Rx8 does have the ability to slide timing using the rpm settings just like the RS. It simply doesn't have turbo.
Yeah the motor just came apart while running. The end cap was off. Taking the red cap off the inside screws were still there.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
I just upgraded my tekin to 212 and I was curious why the RX8 does not have the same timing & boost capabilites as the RS and RS Pro. It would be nice to have the same abilites with the RX8.

Also, I noticed in the timing settings that it only had a slider from 0 - 100 for timing and an rpm range. This just does not seem correct, am I missing something?

Thanks
not sure if this pdf would help explain the features or not but i dont see a seperate boost mode being super critical these thing are stupid fast anyways

Attached Files

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.