Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread >

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Team Tekin

Taking advantage of the best of both technologies is butter....
Old 12-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Taking advantage of the best of both technologies is butter....
I know what you mean .
Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)
Thumbs up

any new updates on the motors and speedo ???
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Team Tekin

The Rx8 housing mold is being cut currently right here in Idaho. It takes weeks to cut a good mold due to very small cutters and delicate work.

A pre-production run of T8 motors is due in next week.

A preproduction run of circuit boards should be done this month.

The packaging designs are just being finalized and look sweet.

We are shooting for release by Feb 26. Its what I want for my birthday!

The proto speedos and motors continue to work excellent for us. We have no major technical issues to deal with and just have to build them.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 01-14-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Have you done any testing without a fan (no fan on motor or ESC)?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Team Tekin

We did all the track testing without a fan so we could see real temps. The weather was always pretty chilly and the bite was not excellent, but we did set it up stupid fast until we got down to a 12min runtime on a 4s 5000mah lipo and never needed the fan. The motor also stayed within reasonable temps with no fan. The only time we have really needed the fan was on the bench testing max continuous current. With a fan its raw power abilities even impressed me. It took everything we had without thermal shutdown or failing….. way beyond what it will ever see in a car no matter who is driving.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
We did all the track testing without a fan so we could see real temps. The weather was always pretty chilly and the bite was not excellent, but we did set it up stupid fast until we got down to a 12min runtime on a 4s 5000mah lipo and never needed the fan. The motor also stayed within reasonable temps with no fan. The only time we have really needed the fan was on the bench testing max continuous current. With a fan its raw power abilities even impressed me. It took everything we had without thermal shutdown or failing….. way beyond what it will ever see in a car no matter who is driving.
I'm up for the challange
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Will there be the option like on the RS to run sensored only? Sometimes with my RS in hybrid mode I would slide out on an off camber turn and start rolling backwards down the hill. I must have been rolling backwards fast enough for it to stay in sensorless as it sputtered until it slowed enough to switch to sensored and then took off. I now run it in sensored only with the boost and it never happens no matter how hard I try so I can only blame the sensorless mode.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Team Tekin

Krio - We are debating on the sensored only. It is there regardless if we allow access to it. We do not like sensored only in these motors for technical reasons. All the errors of sensors for position, early reads and so on are magnified in a 4pole motor. The physical differences are double in electrical terms and these low winds are sensitive to timing changes. Sensorless is more accurate and consistent. We just like the sensored starts and recovery when rolling backwards.

You must have been going backwards pretty fast to be in sensorless drive in dual mode backwards. It still should switch to sensored quickly and take off forward. We will check it out on our track…. But I have pushed the car backwards as hard as I can many times and pulled throttle during development and it always ripped forward. What version software are you running? We did some improvements somewhere between 180 and 189 as I recall that were needed because of the crazy high timing for spec motors. Since this is the Rx8 maybe email me and we can look into it.

Whitrzak - We definitely think we can handle all the power the batteries can give. Reality is that 100amps continuous would drain the battery in 3 min and we can handle more constant current then that. The physical abuse and short term current spikes are additional challenges. The units simply do not fail due to power and something else has to happen to make them operate incorrectly like a cracked solder joint or component. Immediate smoke if the wrong fets switch at the wrong time or we loose control of bank of fets.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

sounds good, I can't wait to hear some customer feed back.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

is there a cost on this yet? and the cost for a esc/motor combo?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I want it all! and I want it NOW!

I have been following this thread, and I had an RC8 that is in dire need of your product. Please tell me how I can GIVE YOU Hundreds of Dollars, and you can give me a sweet reliable ESC Motor combo!. get my drift.....when, where, how much?

Here is my wallet

Thanks,
Trout
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2 Q's

- Will the motors come with built-in fans like those high end plettenberg maxximums?

- Will the existing hotwire work with the RX8 or does it need a separate type of adapter to connect?

-key
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Team Tekin

The price will be very competitive with current products that are available, but offer more

The motors are 40mm finned cans with solder tabs and look just like our 1/10 motors, but bigger with 5mm shafts.

All Tekin products plug directly into the Hotwire and have their own interface that pops up. In fact we have added new features to all the products in the next release. We are always listening to user feedback and making improvements.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

does or will your software support OS X? I'm an Mac Man, so it would be nice if i can use my mac book...

also, what are the availability in motor KV? and where there be a difference in motor selection for a buggy and truggy? for example, i run neu 1512 for buggy and 1515 for truggy. will you guys have similar sizes? i am running a 5S setup, so around the 1800KV is what im looking for.

How will your motors compare to Neu? Will you guys offer something new or different than Neu? Also, How is the drag of your motors?

Will the BEC be programmable? i think that would be a nice feature too.

sorry, lots of questions...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.