Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread >

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagnat
However, there are no tracks that would allow that motor or 3s batteries, unless there are no rules. js
Maybe for you.

Two of the clubs I race at have an open battery rule. No one abuses it (running 4S and a 2650 motor, for example) because they are dirt tracks and more power doesn't help - just gives more wheel-spin.

I run the Castle 2400KV motor on 3S. It is geared to run the same speed (maybe even slower) as the guys running the 4600KV Pro4s. The difference is I never have to worry about motor temps, and I never dump.

That is not "no rules" - the rule is "any battery."
All the other class rules are the same as most other tracks.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

LOL...... jokers to the left of me................... clowns to the right
Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pin came off the ESC

Hi Randy, hope you can help me here.

Truck has been running great, until last night, started my qualifier and on the 4th turn the truck shut off.

Turned out a pin came right out of the motherboard. This looks to me like it was a bad solder joint and finally failed.

It also looks like something I could fix myself. I have a good soldering station and I'm fairly capable. However, I'd hate to void the warranty on such an expensive ESC.

Can you advise me
1. Should I attempt to repair it myself?
2. Would such a repair void the warranty?
3. How long would a warranty repair take?
4. Is this a warrantable failure?

Thanks for your time
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-imag1062.jpg   Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread-imag1063.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried, couldn't get enough heat into it even with the premium soldering station. Heat sink is just wicking the heat away too quickly.

Looks like a deader.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK another possibly dumb question. If I run my sc4x with a a bad sensor board will it hurt the RX8? I know it switches to sensorless after it gets going. But is it going to hurt anything to keep running it till the parts come in? thanks again for any info.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rawwolf
OK another possibly dumb question. If I run my sc4x with a a bad sensor board will it hurt the RX8? I know it switches to sensorless after it gets going. But is it going to hurt anything to keep running it till the parts come in? thanks again for any info.
Just remove the sensor wire and run it without, won't hurt anything that way.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys,
Yesterday i was racing and everything was running great. I have been runnin my rx8 since september with no issues what so ever. But yesterday in my second heat, 3 laps in and i was going down the straight away and the speedo shut down locking the wheels up. Speedo was ice cold as my run just started. No smoke, just shut off and all power was lost to the car. Im a little baffled. Anyone have this problem?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Hey guys,
Yesterday i was racing and everything was running great. I have been runnin my rx8 since september with no issues what so ever. But yesterday in my second heat, 3 laps in and i was going down the straight away and the speedo shut down locking the wheels up. Speedo was ice cold as my run just started. No smoke, just shut off and all power was lost to the car. Im a little baffled. Anyone have this problem?
The speedo shutting down should not lock up the wheels. Does everything spin freely still? I would assume most likely cause would be a loose or broken wire connection somewhere. Double check all your connections.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I had something similar happen to me not to long ago. I had to replace the rotor as it was jammed up inside the motor(cracked up and got jammed). The motor worked fine after but might be worth looking into. In my case it locked up the tires and stopped and instinctively i tried to accelerate a little but nothing. Acted like it wanted to as it kind of jumped foward a bit but i shut it off to find out the rotor was in need of replacement. Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

I know the rotor is ok because i borrowed a new speedo to run the main and it ran great. I lost power all together. No steering or anything. I will try hooking it up to my hot wire and see if it responds. Thank you for helping guys. I am just baffled that it was running great and then nothing. I hardwired the switch a while back so i know it cant be that. So frustrated.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Ok, that is very odd. Do you happen to have a receiver pack or a 4aa pack that came with your radio laying around? We can try to plug that into the receiver to test the bec. If the BEC isn't working the system will function normally with the battery pack plugged in.
Just got around to giving this a shot.

Just receiver pack plugged in= servo works (quite a bit faster than using rx8 bec) Esc however, just blinks and wont arm.

Receiver pack and 4s plugged in= servo works, cannot get esc to arm at all.

Unplug receiver pack= Esc arms when I actuate servo. If I then unplug the 4s, the esc will stay armed with just the receiver pack hooked up.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Please help, Tekin Rx8 runs fine when it is connected to a sensorless motor, But the Rx8 will not run a sensorless motor it just sits and pulses the motor. It does this with all sensorless motors so it is the Rx8 itself. But like I said it runs fine with a sensored motor.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seether
Please help, Tekin Rx8 runs fine when it is connected to a sensorless motor, But the Rx8 will not run a sensorless motor it just sits and pulses the motor. It does this with all sensorless motors so it is the Rx8 itself. But like I said it runs fine with a sensored motor.
Okay, your post is a little confusing..

So, you can run sensored motors with AND without a sensor wire, and it runs fine, both ways? But, when you solder up a sensorless motor, the ESC will not power the motor, it just pulses sitting still?

Two things, have you changed anything within the HotWire interface of the RX8 at all? Because, more than likely, you might have the 'sensored' option, ticked on, in the 'Setup' tab/portion of HotWire... I don't run sensorless, because I don't really see the point, so I might be incorrect here. Just wait for Randy or Ty to come on here and confirm a solution for you...

More than likely though, you might have something amiss, such as not having recalibrated the ESC after a motor change... Or, you might not have it calibrated with your throttle EPA (100) and Trim (0) set at their defaults.

Also, have you checked to make sure that you didn't accidentally wire the motor backwards, or have a bad sensor wire somehow?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Lord

hmm, odd, I hooked my speedo to my hotwire and it activates and seems to work. Im going to try to install it again and see if it works again.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hmm, odd, I hooked my speedo to my hotwire and it activates and seems to work. Im going to try to install it again and see if it works again.
Maybe the BEC died? I believe the ESC gets it power from the Hotwire when it is being used. See if the ESC works when being powered from a battery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.