R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
That's the excellent point that nobody cares about. it's all about saving 10 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
If his track sells lipo's he should buy what the track sells and support it.
I agree to a point, I go by a percentage rule, depending on how much the item costs I don't mind paying 10-20 more at the LHS, But when I walk in and the same battery that's on the web for $87 is a $140- forget it.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

I run two SPC 7.4 2s2p 8000mah Lipos http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=61 in my E-revo and am wondering if they will fit a factory team T4? I just ordered the T4 and it would be great not to have to buy more lipos. If they won't fit what is the highest Mah rating on a lipo that will fit? Running the Novak Navoc 8.5 BL system so 2s is max. I am just bashing and running on my own homeade track so race specs do not apply to me.
bigbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I am using the Protek 4000mAh 7.2V 15C battery in my RC10T4. They're cheap, $35, and work amazingly well for 1/10 scale track time and racing.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16867

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #64
Tech Regular

2wdMod,

You have done your research! And cautious you should be before making any kind of business venture as it's hard for the little guy to survive in RC, no matter what he is producing/selling. Many "Manufacturers" have also contacted us, asking us to import "their brand" of Lipo's. What you say may be true about numerous companies using Lipo's from the same "manufacturer". I'll have to check with Danny as he would have more info on that.

Cherokee,

I'm glad that you purchase from muliple companies as this allows you first hand to see how packs perform differently, if they differ at all. I appreciate your support to SMC and still encourage you to support whom ever you feel is providing you with the best product for your hard earned $$$. If I read your post correctly, I assure you that only 1 manufacturer makes ALL of SMC's lipo products.

bigbeej,

You may have trouble with the height of the pack. An alternate battery brace/strap may be required. Not 100% sure though.

Bryan
Bryan@SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #65
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

bigbeej,

That pack is much taller than a typical 2s 5000mah pack. 27mm versus 22mm, it should not be much of an issue though; like already said you will just need to extend your battery mount. That's easily done, buy the associated factory team thumb screws, and run a long screw all the way through them; or buy a longer set screw.

That pack is 3 oz less in weight than a typical nimh pack, so the truck should handle about the same but it might raise your center of gravity a little being it's putting some of the weight up high.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
+1. Until someone that isnt a magazine who depends on advertising revenue,or is linked to the industry in any way does some unbiased comparison testing it's all a mute argument.
A magazine doesn't depend on advertisers. The do pay the bills. It depends on readers to have a customer base. Nobody would buy ads in a magazine that doesn't get read.

As a point...we helped develope a dyno that clearly showed 1/2 less HP than manufacturers stated....explain to me HOW that was catering to our advertisers?

I like SMC, but honestly any company has a much bigger investment in getting people to think their batteries are different or special...called marketing. I'm not saying SMC doesn't have knowledge, but to call them 3rd party is sort of dumb .
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan@SMC View Post
2wdMod,

You have done your research! And cautious you should be before making any kind of business venture as it's hard for the little guy to survive in RC, no matter what he is producing/selling. Many "Manufacturers" have also contacted us, asking us to import "their brand" of Lipo's. What you say may be true about numerous companies using Lipo's from the same "manufacturer". I'll have to check with Danny as he would have more info on that.

Cherokee,

I'm glad that you purchase from muliple companies as this allows you first hand to see how packs perform differently, if they differ at all. I appreciate your support to SMC and still encourage you to support whom ever you feel is providing you with the best product for your hard earned $$$. If I read your post correctly, I assure you that only 1 manufacturer makes ALL of SMC's lipo products.

bigbeej,

You may have trouble with the height of the pack. An alternate battery brace/strap may be required. Not 100% sure though.

Bryan
Thanks bryan, and you guys at smc HAVE been focused on bringing your customers some of the best li-pos the industry has to offer for sure.And in no way was I implying that smc is truly a third party. I am sure Danny did just as thorough , if not MORE thorough research than I did just from knowing that ALL smc products I have ever owned have lived up to their reputations,and my expectations.I was just trying to get some info out to others that if you are going to buy cheaper li-pos to be carefull, and that the manufacturers of the core/yeah/diggity3200 li-pos (same thing)were some of the best Off brand li-pos out there from my research.Trust me , I bought a couple "product samples" and a couple of them looked great for a few cycles and then turned into turds.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bryan, thanks for the words...I do try to have first hand experence with the things I post my opinions on.

Has your company ever had thoughts on building a pack with a built in cutoff I bought a Trinity pack for my son to use on his slash. It puffed for reasons I can't figure out, I only charged the thing at 1A. Looking for something else I could use in a car where there is no internal cutoff....it could be a good market with all the Spec Slash classes popping up everywere, and the Slash Enduros that seem to happen often as well.

Thanks.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

ive got a question regarding balancing leads. I just bought a team orion hard case lipo, and it came with traxxas leads (its for my slash). In between the 2 plug holes there is a balancing lead hole. I just bought a Protek lipo for the slash as well, and it came with deans connectors, also plug in style. This Protek lipo also comes with a balancing lead that plugs in the middle of the 2 holes. My question is will I be able to use this balancing lead from the Protek in the Orion battery?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #70
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I believe so. Its just a balancing tap.
Jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Derek,

Your right, advertising is key. Yet our sales are phenominal even without advertising in your mag or any of the others. Way back when I had no idea who SMC or JACO were, even that they were 25 miles from my home, my first purchases were Team Losi and Trinity! Why - Well, when you are new to the hobby and open a mag and see 10+ pages of advertising from a single company, the light upstairs says these must be great companies as much as they push their product and advertise. I'm not saying it wouldn't help for us to advertise, but from our side it's just not necessary. Our products have been promoted heavily by our great racers, hobby shops, and here on the net by satisfied customers. I do believe that you guys aren't "ONE" sided as maybe other mags can be when tests come along or product awards. Our name is very well established in the surface field of R/C, now we are expanding to the air, which is why we have run a few ads in your Heli mag.

Cherokee,

SMC has many new things on the Horizon for 2009. I can't tell you what you will and won't see but if there is enough interest and request for a pack with the built in cut-off, you may see it on the shelves one day. As for now, racers will have to do a little pre race testing to see how long they can go without a battery change for the enduro racing. I'd say in Slash with our 5200, 18-20 minutes should be no prob. I can't say for sure though as the longest I've ran mine has been 12 minutes. I'll try to do some testing in the next week and see what I come up with.

Bryan
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan@SMC View Post
Derek,

Your right, advertising is key. Yet our sales are phenominal even without advertising in your mag or any of the others. Way back when I had no idea who SMC or JACO were, even that they were 25 miles from my home, my first purchases were Team Losi and Trinity! Why - Well, when you are new to the hobby and open a mag and see 10+ pages of advertising from a single company, the light upstairs says these must be great companies as much as they push their product and advertise. I'm not saying it wouldn't help for us to advertise, but from our side it's just not necessary. Our products have been promoted heavily by our great racers, hobby shops, and here on the net by satisfied customers. I do believe that you guys aren't "ONE" sided as maybe other mags can be when tests come along or product awards. Our name is very well established in the surface field of R/C, now we are expanding to the air, which is why we have run a few ads in your Heli mag.

Cherokee,

SMC has many new things on the Horizon for 2009. I can't tell you what you will and won't see but if there is enough interest and request for a pack with the built in cut-off, you may see it on the shelves one day. As for now, racers will have to do a little pre race testing to see how long they can go without a battery change for the enduro racing. I'd say in Slash with our 5200, 18-20 minutes should be no prob. I can't say for sure though as the longest I've ran mine has been 12 minutes. I'll try to do some testing in the next week and see what I come up with.

Bryan
Bryan you just showed many why SMC should advertise more, and SMC has . You didn't know about them and you lived near them.

SMC is lucky to sell a few products racers need, and sell quality products. I'm not here to say they don't at all...I like Danny and Jack. McMahon has been racing SMC/Jaco for ever hear and he loves them to.

But just because a company chooses to advertise doesn't mean they make inferior products. Trinity does advertise a a lot, but they also make the fastest stock motors. AE is one of the companies that advertises the most, are you saying they don't make quality products.

It's great that SMC is such a part of the racing community, and makes money at it. One can argue that they would make more if they did advertise, but they took a different path and it works...but it's far from the norm. Without getting into an advertising battle and what advertising does for the hobby, I just want to clear up that not all people and magazines are swayed by money, even if the depend on it, and I don't think that all companies should be considered 3rd party and be trusted more for information. And again that has nothing to do with SMC or the quality of the products they sell or the knowledge behind them.

The problem only lies when racers think everything needs to be to a Formula 1 spec when NASCAR will do for 99% of the people.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Derek,

No where in any of my posts have I made out or implied that any other company, advertising or non, produces inferior products. If you read through this thread, I've encouraged people to buy whatever they prefer, what they can afford, or what they believe is the best product for their particular use. If an SMC product doesn't fall under any of the above, then so be it. As long as people are purchasing, bashing, racing, I'll be happy. R/C is by no means a HUGE hobby, nor is it well known as I, You, and everyone on here wish it would be.

Also, just because I didn't mention AE for advertising doesn't mean I don't like their products. I'd say I'm very pleased with what AE has to offer as I've owned an L2, L3, T3, B3, GT, and 2 TC3's and plan to purchase an SC8 if a class forms within reasonable traveling distance. I only mentioned Losi and Trinity as they were my 1ST purchases based on what I had read/seen in the mags.

We are proud to supply the industry with more than just a "few" quality products that bashers and hardcore racers alike can enjoy and excel with.

Bryan