Wiki Posts
Search

B44 Electronics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default B44 Electronics.

I recently purchased a New B44 (from here) for the great price of $240.00!

It was kinda a quick decision.. so I haven't really thought about how I am going to get it to run...

I already have a good radio rx/tx, a few servos I can try - Hitec Hs-645 Mg, Futaba s3003, and a Hobbico Digital high speed/torque servo.

The Hobbico servo might be sold tho, so which of the other two servos would be my best bet? If either one of them would be absolutely unacceptable for sportsman class racing what would you recommend?

For a motor/esc I'm interested in getting another Havoc 8.5 system. They can be had for $140 dollars at Amainhobbies.. The typical motor at my track is 6.5, but those cost nearly $100 dollars more.. so.. that's pretty much out of my reach.

As for a battery, I really want to stick with a Lipo. I love the life of them and the fact that they last much longer than racing quality nimh cells. Would this battery be O.K.?

Last.. if I managed to get the money for a 6.5 system, would it be necessary for me to buy a better quality lipo for it? Or would the Protek lipo still suffice?

Thank you for any help
Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

futaba servo. protek batterys are fine but you might want to wrap them scrap lexan plastic because the proteks are a soft pack and might be damaged by the battery posts over time. Or go with a hard cased lipo from team checkpoint.

if you can but the novak gtb/velociti (esc/motor) combo it would be the best investment you would make in your life. Good price, excellent throttle control, lasts forever. Protek lipo would work with this as well as the checkpoint
Old 12-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a reedy 4800 lipo saddle and a lrp sphere comp and a 7.5 motor in my b44. I bought a used protek saddle pack and while I dont get as long of runtime as the 4800, performance is very similar. It has a little less punch, (or so it seems) but to me it is hardly noticeable. Its a good pack.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run a novak gtb with a Novak 5.5 motor and a max amps 6000mah saddle pack. I am not real fond of the max amps pack though it requires constant attention and ballancing. I have seen a bunch of people having problems with the trak power packs though so I don't think I would go that route either..?? I now see that smc has a carbon saddle pack out that may be worth looking at.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run the carbon hardcased SMC lipo in my D4 (I know its not a B44) but I love the battery, plenty of punch even with a 7.5. Highly recommended!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am running a Novak gtb and 8.5 combo, maxamps 6000mah saddle pack in a b44. I had a Novak 5.5 but it was way to fast for the indoor track that I run on. I am very happy with the 8.5.

I see no real benefit of buying a gtb over the havoc unless you are running lower wind brushless motors. In fact I bought a havoc to run in my new 2wd.

People's experience with maxamps seems to be hit or miss. So far my experience has been good. I had an issue which i thought may be a faulty cell, it turned out that the balancer contacts were dirty and the pack was not balancing properly. Cleaned the balancing tabs on the pack and the charger and all is good.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For starting out the Havoc system should be fine and more bang for the buck. I run the GTB with a 8.5 in my B44 and love it. I race 6.5 cars often and think that you can modify timing and gearing enough that you'd need a really long straight to see the difference. I also run the 13mm tuning rotor in it as I like the throttle curve more.

I highly recommend the SMC saddle pack. I do have a balancing Hyperion but this thing doesn't need constant balancing at all, tons of punch and nice case design with heavy duty gauge wires.

I'd also say look and see if you can find a good deal on a better servo. That Futaba is pretty weak. I run the Futaba S9551 as the half height servo makes fitting the electronics all on the opposite side as the motor easier and the car balances nicely this way. You can find used S9550 (the one the 9551 replaced) for good deals if budget is a concern.